Forums > Social Chat > i'm a profesional... i am god

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
rangerbethanymember
70 posts

Posted:
ok so i know you've all meet one.. or two... three, four..i have been twirling for at least a few years, i'm not sure if i'm all that good, i have grace and i'd like to think i have my own style from being self taught, i don't have much to compare myself toobuti've met countless amounts of twirlers that have this " heh! stand back kiddies. i play with fire. don't you wish you could be just like me " additude. i'm sick of chatting with people that say things like "well you see little lady.. i.. am the king.. of poi. and everyones annoyed with me because i rock. and you know what? i.. heh.. have only been mucking around with poi for a few months now.. heh.."of course these people are usually very easy to upstage.. (if you are that sort of person) but the ego ahhh the ego?i'm a little fuzzy headed so i'm not sure where i'm going with this but am i the only one that noticed these people?beth------------------floating drifting fading awayhow could these stimulants lead us astray?

floating
drifting
fading away
how could these stimulants lead us astray?

Stringsmember
25 posts

Posted:
No, I have seen this all to often. I have also been around for a while. I started spinning glowstick about five years ago, and never even heard of something called Poi untill about a year ago. I just got up and did my thing, and tryed to learn every new move i saw. Even before that I was in the party sceane and still remember when everyone know what PLUR meant, and tryed to live by it. Now though I see people refusing to teach new people, and trying to pretend that they came up with it all by themselves. These are the only people that i try to upstage, and haven't failed to do so in years. People that just want to learn though I make a point of teaching. Unfortunatly now I spin for a club every night I have free from school so I don't teach that much anymore, but now that I think about it, i am going to set it up with the owner to teach for an hour a night before the club gets busy. Thanks for the idea ranger, and if anyone ever sees me out and want's some help please ask, I love to pass on what I know smile

Never get over confidant... That is when your chains wrap and you hit yourself in the face.

foobaaspinning for ages
125 posts

Posted:
Yeh, those people shit me too, but you find them everywhere in the world and whatever you are doing. I love being able to teach others how to do the moves that I know, coz I know that there are others out there that have some way cool moves that I don't and so would like to think that they would teach me (if or when they meet me). People who think that they are better than everyone else always lose out in the long run....don't stress about them------------------fe fi foo fun

fe fi foo fun

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
Actually, there are many on this board. We heard from them during the discussions about the Poi video. There was a multitude of posts about how much better they are than anyone else. Yet in the end they did lose, and to someone who rarely (if ever) posts on the board.------------------"Except for that Mrs. Lincoln, How did you like the play?"Pyromorph - Let the fire change you

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I hear ya.I try not to let that shit bother me, but sometimes it does get a little annoying. To all of you that glowstick or liquid dance, if you've even been to a club then you know exactly what Bethany is talking about. People get cocky, people want all the glory, whatever, let'em have it- in the end its just a few shallow cheers from a crowd of people whose shallowness is rivaled only by thier lack of self dignity and esteame.------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yeah, we've got the whole range of people on HoP. The braggers to the modest to they guys who don't even poi but critique those who do winkI think that's life though. Check any other board and it's worse. It's easy to avoid too so I don't mind. Frankly I've found tremendous comradary and generosity from HoP posters which is why I come back.We're always going to have a range of people who post because everyone's different. This includes people with qualities you like and people with qualities you don't.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
Hey.. Thats me, Critic is my middle name.. lol. Just kidding.Nah.. I just love this art, and am trying to get into it as fast as possible. smile Course with snow on the outside, and no room on the inside it has been a problem. *shrugs*P.S. I havent seen God poi yet, but I think that if He did, He would kick everyones butt. wink------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

DömAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
Many see a bit of competition as fun and promoting. Fair enough, but personally I don't like big heads and constantly fear that my enthusiasm gets mistaken for the showing off I see. Oh well.There's always people who will approach you and claim they're good or great at poi, and none of them have spun with the confidence and imagination of some spinners I've been lucky enough to learn from. In fact most of these people are guys who know the figure of 8 and that's it.GodlovinSponge - god, being a metaphysical being, probably has no hands. However:If god exists and is not too busy playing with his amazingly cool infinite universe, and actually does give a flying **** about us everyday animals, then he does do poi. god's 'actions' are, according to some, through all of us and so when you poi, god is also poi-ing and your poi moves are a physical expression of god. So, forget trying to see the divine face of god, go try and experience the divine poi move of god.Dom

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
God's pretty good. But he just does the weave fast. But REALLY fast. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I don't just do the weave really fast!J/K J/K!! grin------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I agree that you are going to find people like that anywhere, no matter what you do, and yes they are irritating. Eventually they will get their comeuppance, even without you showing them up. However, the world needs people like that to make the rest of us look even better! winkCan I say though that in the subject it says "I am professional...I am a god".Well, many of the egotists I have run into aren't professionals at all, they just want to be, and the ego hurts them on their way up the ladder. In fact some of the most professional performers I know (not spinners, performers) are actually some of the most humble people I have ever met. I am a professional and am ***FAR***from being even the best that I can be personally, let alone the best of everyone. Please don't judge all pro's on the comments of some self-deluded twits. As for teaching, well some don't do it for reasons other than ego. I don't like to teach poi because I don't explain it very well and then I feel really stupid and embarrassed. I don't like to teach fire breathing except to other firies that I feel comfortable with because liability is just too high. This has nothing to do with ego and everything to do with comfort zone.If you ignore them and just spin, they will eventually shut up and go away, or get smacked by the poi in frustration! smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
Dude just kick his ass doing this... i mean do move that he cant do... to see if he still gonna try bragging muwhaa ;pI just remenber one of these peps on a party i when last saturday... hahah the guy said to other that is an awsome twirler... hey ya the one that is really good poing and blah blah blah(dunno what the heck he was bragging...since he i just saw him doing stupid move like wraps and stuff like that... i was lauhghing out my ass) i didnt saw this cause i was on other part of the party twirling a friend told me later that... Of course he lost tho... since he just could do stupid moves.. and easy move... hahaNow dude asking ya... what does he does??? at least here i met other guy that is like that... but he just do i guess the harder move i saw doing was one handed butterfly, he likes to brag casue he won a tourny bringing all his friends to cheer him(crowd was the judge, what a crap eh?) I really hate these ppls... at least the real good twirlers i know they all are cools

Dance like if noone were watching you

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I wonder how many people realise that being a professional means you get paid to do it? I get the feeling that a lot of these "I am a professioanal I am a god" types are just poor little low self esteemers.As an example, I'm a professional performer who frequently juggles in front of crowds and as walkabouts. But, I'M THE WORST JUGGLER I KNOW!All of the amatuers (not based on skill, based on whether they get paid to do it) at my Friday night juggling club are light years ahead of me.Anyway, I'm digressing, personally, telling people you are really good at something is asking to humiliated.You increase their expectations so much that if you pull off a 12 beat BTB weave they won't be that impressed, but if you mess up, or someone else does better than you, you'll be a laughing stock.Also, if someone is stupid enough to say things like without realising that everyone will think of them as a dickhead, then hey, they deserve to be thought of as a dickhead... grin grin grin grin ------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
now now nightshade, wraps aren't stupid. Pozee is going to rip you a new one lol.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
I think God was playing poi with all the planets.. then just got bored and left them spinning.. LOL------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Spot on Charles.I've found people who call themselves 'Pros' *locally* are less inclined to be friendly to other amateurs (me and Katinca) when they percieve that we could threaten their business if we went pro. They are all happy to talk our ears off about their shows etc etc etc but once we have a twirl with em they go a bit quiet. Understandable I guess, but again, its business before pleasure. If you are naturally the kinda person who wants to share and talk and meet new ppl, but then you dont because you think it will threaten your money supply how much are you sacrificing and for what? smileI really get turned off by the whole competition thing...had an incident like that when we were in the States and it wasnt very nice...its amazing how quickly you can pick up on vibes...be they positive (waves to Pozee and Nomad) or negative.Josh

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
*chimes right in*I enjoy my spinning, and I do it because I enjoy it. However, I worry sometimes that my excitement and enthusiasm for my twirling may get mis-interpreted. I hope this is not the case..I would hate to be seen as one of those cocky folks who think they are better than everyone else. I enjoy "showing up" people like this. Or at least trying my damndest..who knows..maybe in the process their vision will be widened and they will discover a new appreciation for the art of poi. I suspect though, that the same people that are bragging they are the poi god(or goddess), while doing the horizontal fig 8...are prolly the same ones that will drop spinning in the near future as it was only a fad for them.For me, poi has now become an integral part of my life and will remain as such.------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÃude=-

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link
Hello. Here's my opinion. As an ok twirler I love helping anyone who asks me to show them a trick 'cause I'm flattered to be asked. The magic of poi/staff etc. is it looks really hard but anyone who is inspired to try realises how easy it is to be bitten by the bug. It looks great even when you're doing simple stuff. Nearly everyone who does it started because someone was open enough to lend their toys and show them the ropes, and trying to make twirling into an exclusive club goes against the spirit of it all. I say just twirl and be happy. smile Life in the circus ain't easy but the folks on the outside don't know yeah well the tent goes up and the tent goes down and all that they see is the show and the ladies on the horses look so pretty and the lions are looking real mad and some of the clowns are happy and some of the clowns are sad. Welcome to the freakshow.. here we go (Freakshow by Ani di Franco)[This message has been edited by sunbeam (edited 29 November 2001).][This message has been edited by sunbeam (edited 29 November 2001).]

"I don't take drugs. I am drugs" - Salvador Dali

sunny

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
Jeez i mean stupid wraps cause i mean that they are easy move...i mean that he just does easy moves and he is all highonhimself???? wtf... thats funny tongueAll the best poiers i know are all humbles guys and coolZ!

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
i had a bad experience a while ago in a club. i was playing with my glowsticks and this guy was watching me, he was one of the fire performers for that night, and finally he came up to me and asked me to teach hime something. but just then i was grabbed by a few of my friends and pulled off. well when i went back, i couldnt find hime and i felt like i cocky bastard like i did not want to show him anything, when exactly the opposite was true.well a few weeks later i met him again and he did not want to approach me, so i went up to him and explained what had happened and taught him something.i felt much better about myself later.oh yeah i have to defend wraps, wraps are cool night shade. i am sure that all the people in la boca or in pal mar think so. whqat about isla grande. they all thought it was cool. ever been to the discotech dreams?any ways, hopefully my wrapping will be on the video...

anyone got a light?

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
you ppl never get what i mean..... well must be cause my english is a crap... i will try to explain againok they are cool fine i know thatbut its funny that a guy is highofhimself and think he is the best just cause he does wraps O_o thsoe were his best trick (Wraps)Well if you ppl dont get it i give up... think whatever you want tongue

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I knew what you meant Nightshade. But then I got it the first time you said it ( tongue)

Meh

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
yeah, i wasnt too worried about it night shade. didnt think you meant it in a bad way. and your english isnt that bad. i was jsut playin around

anyone got a light?

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
Pozze you coming to panama someday? i mean you said you lived here or something... you from panama or you were traveling or what?

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
lived down there for a year and loved it man. i would love to go back some day. maybe we could get together and go to a party if i make it down there again

anyone got a light?

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
Personnaly i don't like teaching people sometimes,,, I don't want it to become something everyone does. I look at it as a special gift that i can give to people who seemed genuinly interested. I just wish i could take the gift back from some people who i gave it to.

We are defined by the choices we make

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Like Charles said about raising expectations - whenever I am talking to people about twirling I usually do the opposite. I tell them about it and some of the things I can do, but I usually point out that I am still relatively new and that they should not expect too much. That way I can be sure that they won't be disappointed and if they are impressed then it is all good!

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Like Bendy, I try to explain to people that I'm not particularly good at twirling (which is true) then their hope aren't high and they're not so surprised when I screw up. If I do meet other spinners with over-inflated egos, who're basically like Miss Bethany is describing. I like to drop in a few of my Fyathyrio (my own little word) moves. When jaws drop I walk away. grinNuff said.

Meh

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
Nah i dunno i like teaching ppl...i dont care if ppl does what i do... well if they ask me how i do this.. i asnwer them how... Specially hot babes grin i enjoy teaching them smilethere is nothing better in this world that a hot chick twirling tho lolI like learning new stuff, well i pretty much watch ppl on videos doing new stuff and well i learn watching...I find a twirler that doesnt want to teach someone else like dunno kinda selfish... but well thats me... And yeah pozze come, lets get some hot babes twirling tongue loli really would like to see ya twirling smile [This message has been edited by NightShade1 (edited 29 November 2001).]

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
lol, poi is a chick magnet!------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I think my poi are broken then... frown

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Page: