Forums > Social Chat > For the Doof/Rave/Party People

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I write articles for an online emag. My column is called "Escapisms" and what I do is basically look for things that people use as "escapes" from reality, research them and write about them.I have selected to do the doof-rave party thing for my next couple of installations.I am not going to do the drug angle, so please don't go there.What I want to know is why you started going to these and what keeps you going back?Specifically please.What is it about them that serves as an escape for you? Is it the freedom of expression, the music, the community, etc....?(Commentary on all of the above and more welcomed)Why do you think it appeals so much to such a broad ban of age groups?Anyone know about the historical evolution of these things? Where did they come from?Do you think the fact that they are illegal in so many places aides to increase attendance numbers?What is the most positive aspects of these?What makes raves-doofs different from going to the local club?I really appreciate all your help and will gladly post the end article when I am done.Thanks!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
The most I'll pay for a night in a club is £15 (US$21, CAN$34, AUS, NZ$52) and that would have to be a pretty special club. All the other stuff (warehouse parties, "doofs" et al) I don't pay for. Maybe they come round and ask for donations for the upkeep of the systems etc. But they're not too fussed if you can't, or simply don't want to, pay. I hardly ever have to pay for sundries (water, beer, sweeties) in clubs or whereever. Generally because, lets face it, it's me. grinAnd people love me grin (never have figured out why tho).I should point out I'm not being arrogant or showing off or anything else. It's just the way it is.Some people have to work and strive for things in life, I just drift along in my own little fragglish dream. Making the world a sparklier place.------------------C@ntusDance beneath the stars, we sound system, we the collective, with a open heart, we the solution - should be respected!

Meh

mikeybmember
93 posts

Posted:
First, let's get price out of the way. House Of God's ten english pounds. I have no trouble with that knowing what they pay for the venue, security and so on.Sometimes I go to the bigger nights at the Que Club, an old Methodist Hall in birmingham huge venue, beautiful architecture though very run down. I've paid as much as £20 there, for a System 7 / Carl Cox night. Worth it because of the venue cost and for Carl.Now, those pesky hippies.I came to the 'dance thing' from a hippy background. Remember what I said above about the House Of God, well, the guys who set it up were previously the drummer and synth guy in a band called Blim which was as near to Gong as anything. In the early-mid 1980's we played and danced to Hawkwind, Gong, Floyd, the Dead, the Airplane. Same people, 15 years later and it's TB303's all over the place. I mentioned System 7 above - it's a dance act/collective formed by Steve Hillage, ex guitarist in Gong, which has to be a totally archetypal 1970's hippy band. So the events I go to, a lot of the people have strongly hippy musical and social tendencies, certainly. Or punks. Although a lot of the people I know who were late 80's punks became mid-90's hippies, seems like an evolution thing.an aside - I was lucky enough to see the Dead play in London in 1990. And there is a HUGE amount in common between a dead gig and a good underground dance event. The whole thing about tolerance, enjoyment, freedom, respect, everyone there to have a good time in their own way, and everyone supporting everyone else in doing exactly that. Based on a tiny and unrepresentative sample I'd say that what I get from a night at the HOG and what I got from the Dead, it's the same thing.But while you're following up the hippy thing, don't bypass the Punk ethic. The punks rejected the hippies because they came before and needed to be swept away. But the hippies rejected their own bugbears for the same reason. And it was as much the Punk ethic as the Hippie ethic, the DIY music thing as much as the old Free Festivals, which fed the old outdoor rave scene. So the Dead were doing the same thing in 1965, but Crass were also doing it in 1980.MikeyB

LightDansamember
3 posts

Posted:
Ravers from all over the world and happy ones at that . YAY just what I have been looking for ... PLUR to you all !!!! A little thing Josh Hyppereal has now joined with www.erowid.com . smile Im only a young Perth raver 22 almost 23 been raving for nearly three years . For me raving is all about.1.The dancing : I love to dance its my passion and I do it well . I can say that so far I am the hardest and madest dancer in Perth. My goal is to be the best dancer I can be ... A big ask but Ill do it , Learning poi currently , soon to start learning breakdancing and kapawara . Dancing well not only makes you feel good but when you put on a good light show others really appreciate it to...2.The music : the music has its own feel , and has varing styles each with its own mood that it sets your more euphoric uplifting music like trance and ambient create a very pretty feel , Techno and happy/hardcore , dnb and jungle have got more of a go hard with the latter having more attitude , house and funk are more laid back chillout sort of tunes etc . 3.The People : PLUR man . THE TRUE RAVERS MOTO . I love people , I love to inrich peoples nights as much as possible , A good light show , a massage to perfect strangers , sharing my knowledge on a certain well studied subject to educate and harm reduction . Life time friends can be met at raves . Just meeting people from all walks of life that share the same love of modern music... smile Perth raves are so commercial now . Very few underground raves here now . Went to an underground trance rave in a Quarry in Fremantle (near the beach) only bout 100 people wasn't too bad , Fire twirlers were plentifull . We need alot more underground raves over here in perth ... You guys are all really lucky to have so many , in so many places . smile (sigh... one day...)P.L.U.R : Peace Love Unity Respect A TRUE RAVERS MOTO ------------------

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
Pele,I wanted to give this one some thought and read what a few others had to say before I said my piece. I must say, I'm not even done reading everyone's comments but it's great to hear what it means to them and why. Especially from such a broad group of people. I've never even really heard the term doof before, however from what I'm reading, the meaning of a doof/rave varies from area to area.Here around the area I live in, the "rave scene" is close to dead. This is due to anti-rave laws that are in affect for the entire state. Why do I enjoy going to raves? This is a really hard question to answer without writing a long run-on sentance. smile I'll start by saying my first love was the music. I have been a very big music lover my whole life. When I first started going "clubbing" I never really liked it. I wasn't much of a dancer, and it atmosphere just wasn't all that comfortable. Eventually I made my way to a my first warehouse rave...I was amazed at the difference..*recalls*The music was louder to start with..the atmosphere was hotter. The music was more hardcore, definately more glowsticks and people with all sorts of toys. People with crazed out outfits on. People with their face painted up. Lovely people everywhere. There isn't one mean person to be found at a rave. Everyone has a group feeling of togetherness.. Kind of a tribal feeling. As others state, it may come from the late night hours we drive the roads looking for our parties to go to, or maybe the fact that we probably account for 90% of restaurants/fast food place's first-in-the-morning customers. smile We live for the music, for the togetherness. The universal acceptance of everyone, regardless of race, religion, color, or the way they dress or talk. I've seen people at raves that didn't even speak english and there were people stopping trying to help them. Universal Kindness. Living PLUR. Want some of my water?Nowadays, every time I go to a rave, I see some sort of new toy. Some of the things I've seen were amazing. One guy took two handheld dremel's and attached a coathanger to the part that spins. At the end of each part of the coathanger he attached two colored photons..Looks like two big multi-colored UFO's when he turns them on..phat looking. I live for meeting new people. I always look forward to the next rave as I know I will meet more friendly people. It's so hard to find good people in this world, and I think at raves there are a lot higher percentage of good people. I guess in the end, once you get into the scene, and declare yourself a "raver" you realize that part of it IS just being PART of the scene...Stayed tuned next time for "What is 'The Scene.'?"------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
mikeyb...I lived through the 80's with 2 much older sisters and strongly remember the punk movement. The reason why I focussed on hippy-ism is because the hippies of the 60's and early 70's truly seem to reflect all of the free-party ideologies I seem explained here. Punk, at least here, did not have that. They were part for the music, yes, but they had a more sex, drugs, rock and roll, burn-the-mother-down kind of thing going for them. There was more angst and anger...and I can think of a million examples but let's just leave it at Sid. What I know and have seen at punk events (yes I have gone) was nothing compared to the vibe at a Dead camp (been there too) or at some of my friends places who never really got out of being hippies. Just an observation. However, I do see the similarities from an underground becoming illegal point of view. Thanks.Thank you so much people, keep the answers coming, not just for me but this has turned into a really great thread all around! smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 17 November 2001).]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

rexmember
263 posts

Posted:
CRD, can we get your definition of 'The Scene'? smile[i for one am curious, i like your descriptive way of putting things]

LightDansamember
3 posts

Posted:
I just have to say "I LOVE YOU ALL", P.L.U.R.R : Peace Love Unity Respect and Responsibility . THIS THREAD ROCKS !!!! Ravers of all nationalities, cultures and religions Come together as one To enjoy the scene, one big multinational family . A family worth fighting for . Who outside this family can truly judge us, without first being part of it ??? P.L.U.R.R : Peace Love Unity Respect Responsibility A TRUE RAVERS MOTO

Burntmember
13 posts

Posted:
Does anyone know when the next doof near sydney is?

Play with fire and you might get Burnt.

earthdreamermember
116 posts

Posted:
Burnt, sweety did some lookin around for ya and came up with some good times for you....SAT 24th NOV:NOVEMBAFEST: Djs: Ming, Able, Raptor, Vic, Kanka, Mish, Fatpoppy, Agent23, and the Renegade grfik boutique...@Glenworth Valley, Peats Ridge For Info call: 1902 261 252(TechnoAcidPsyTranceElectroBreaks)there is also a FreeParty the very same day if you feel inclined to travel just outside Canberra...?normal?djs: Zietgiest, Manson, 7u?, Goulburn Poultry Fanciers Society, Spitshop, Benjemaniac, dis.joke.e, Baxter, atomic theory, null,xeudan, debris, dreamcatcher, sysx, dmitry, mixamatosis, and: One Oscillator TechnoTribe and: Outdoor Cinema, Cafe, Toilets, Water..9 pm-10 am@ secret forest location 10minutes from Canberra City..for Info call: 02 9990 8015 After 22 November for location Details.....(Doof FilmAllAgesActivistTechnoPsyTranceAcidDrumnBassJungleBreaksElectroHardCoreGabberIndustrialSynPunkDrummingYum)------------------------------------CHECKOUT..Phoenix Rising 1st Dec, in Street Press i guess or fliers....these are the closest to now parties that i found babe...hope you have many many fun grinlove hol

earthdreamermember
116 posts

Posted:
also...here i go again...if ya want to know all the parties for your area anyone goto..spraci.cia.com.au/tekno.htm and you can click on any area and any genre of music e.g, Psytranceand it will reveal for you all freeparties festivals etc,with out givin too much away, just phone numbers and djs, so you still have to do the research, but it is a good site...also: "Elixer" looks well wicked mmm,in the forest.. chec it out.ciao.

leoghairemember
2 posts

Posted:
To talk about this subject with out talking about drugs is hard for they are a bit part of what people do at doof and raves but out of the wayThe music is the first and foremost thing I am there for is the bond between me, the place I am in and the people around me, and the spirit of the earth. You know you are at a bush party when you get through the gate and your walking or driving down the track you can feel the bass in the move the air if its an all weekender you have to set up your tent (in the dark usually) with the bass all-round you, you get every thing set up and you walk in the dark to the stag area meeting other people as you walk down. And then your in the music and its moving you its playing in and with your mind and its always there in me till the last beat in the morning.Secondly I am there for the people that I know will be there and for the new people I will meet there, you connect to people through the music, the things that you are doing at the party and the activities you are participating in.This is the third reason but is equal to the second, I am there for the activities that I can participate in form fire twirling and teaching people how to twirl and learning new tricks from others and teaching them new tricks that you know and they may not, playing drums with a group of people, massages now this is a very close and personal thing to be doing with another person you are up close to them helping them alleviate pain in there muscles and helping there spirit or soul regenerated to keep them up and dancing all night.There is just so much to these party’s that people don’t understand it is the most beautiful thing to be within a group of people how are of a like mind and who are all with in the same mind body and soul as you are.

PoiRavermember
2 posts

Posted:
Raves are amazing things and trying to pinpoint and express exactly what i love about them can be pretty frustrating. For me a great(preferably outdoor) rave is the most beautiful thing on earth. It's like everyone there is together in a different world, where unhappiness and malice don't exist. Amazing music and even more amazing people have taken everything bad in the world and replaced it beauty and love. Technology (normally a cold and destructive thing in my opinion) has gone full circle-artificial like and turntables and circuit boards have become breathtaking art. oh yeah, if anyone knows of any upcoming raves in tallahassee, Florida pleeeeeeeease let me know, i just moved here.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
**Found this on the website of the crew who put on most of the parties we go to:Trancendance
quote:
Outdoor Aussie Bush PartiesA few things to remember: Using the bush for our recreation is a privilege not a right and there are many forces who would deny us that privilege. We try to take maximum care of You & Our Environment. This means: Selecting sites which are less susceptible to environmental damage. Selecting sites with adequate parking. Observing all fire restrictions. Providing rubbish bins and ashtrays. Removing ALL rubbish and waste. A good party is everyone's responsibility. As promoters, no matter how much effort we put in, we need good people to make it a good party. Trancendance luckily seems to attract a fantastically friendly crowd of stars who make organizing our gatherings a pure joy. How you can helpStart by remembering that you are going to be spending 12 to 24 hours in the Australian bush and come prepared. Bring: food, water, torch, sunscreen, insect repellant, sun hat, something to sit on, garbage bags, etc...You can also help by taking responsibility for your own garbage, please bring a garbage bag and USE IT. When you leave, look around the area where you were siting and where you were parked. Please pick up everything including cigarette butts and small stuff. Drive safely and carefully. Park with consideration for others and always leave access roads open. Observe any fire restrictions and don't light unnecessary fires. If toilets are not provided, bury your waste. Above all, please be considerate of each other and our land. xPxLxUxRx What makes a good party?When all the elements comprising THE PARTY are combined harmoniously and creatively, with the active involvement of the participants to produce a strong, uplifting, enlightening, creative, and responsible experience for all the participants. Trance, Sacred Dance.For thousands of years people have been using dance as a way to go into trance. The act of dancing through the night and greeting the dawn has been performed through the ages by every race and almost every culture. This act has such deep meaning to all humankind that when trying to describe a party to a person who has never attended one, describing it in terms of ritual dance almost always creates an initial understanding."Last year I took a 70 year-old Zen monk to a rave party. He was curious enough to overcome his dislike of the music until his face lit up with a revelation. 'This is meditation!', he shouted above the noise. Later he explained that the walking meditation he taught involved being fully aware 'in the moment' without any internal dialogue separating actions from intentions, and that the same definition applied to the dancers all around him." Ó Nicholas Saunders "Ecstasy Revisited"The suggestion we are making with the above comments is that a dance party by its very nature is a spiritual event which can and does lead the participants into altered sates of consciousness. Add to this that many promoters and even more participants are to some degree aware of this process and are using various techniques devices and substances to enhance it. Such an event can, if all the pieces come together properly, be a deep spiritual journey creating lasting effects on the participants. The party as metaphor for social change.We believe a party is not only the communion of our shared spirituality but also a microcosm of our community. As such it is ideally suited to demonstrating our culture and experimenting with refining our cultural ideals. Although this idea can be expressed in many ways within the party environment, its primary expression should be in the organizational structure of the party itself and the structure of the networks supporting it.In order to make a good party we believe that an organizational structure should be chosen which allows individuals within it maximum freedom of expression and creative input, while effectively dealing with internal and external issues.Trancendance belive that to make a good party, after creating the environment i.e. advertising the event, providing the infrastructure, overseeing its operation and guaranteeing cleanup and return of equipment, the collective's primary focus must be encouraging ACTIVE participation by all in the event.Thus the party as a whole becomes a demonstration of how we would like to act and interact all day every day.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
beautiful. absolutely beautiful.------------------~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

LightDansamember
3 posts

Posted:
I'll second that ! Well said, well said smile . A total sumation in words so rightfully put. A person who trully expressess the true meaning of P.L.U.R . [image]https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif">[/image]Human Traffic

Page: