Forums > Social Chat > Reverse behind the back weave...

Login/Join to Participate

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
...it looks as if though i might consider starting to use a few behind the back moves in my routine - i guess they are not so bad after all, just annoying to learn!!! grinwell i've tried for the first time the reverse btb weave (ie starting by swinging forwards at the sides)...i gave it a go for 15 minutes practising each hand separately - i can tell i am going to have problems with my left poi hitting the front of my right thigh when i try to swing the left poi from the right side back to the left; what i want to ask is the following: i can do the forwards btb weave ok but this one seems as if it requires more flexibility than the forwards btb weave (my back and shoulders still hurt wink ) - is this true or is this just me not having the correct body angle? i tried doing a figure 8 but my left poi keeps hitting my right thigh - i am sure i'll sort it out after lots of practise and pain but any hints from all you btb experts wink out there will be greatly appreciated since i am sure that it will speed things up considerably - mmmmm i can't wait to try a btb turn as well; what's wrong with me and btb moves lately - i am supposed to hate them grin...happy swinging,Simos

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
...thought i'd give it another try and see if i get a reply since i still haven't got it going properly frown - i can sometimes do a cross-over now - oooouch my back hurts grinhappy swinging,Simos

funkenflugmember
7 posts

Posted:
Hi Simos, i agree, the reverse btb weave is undoubtedly a lot harder to learn than the forwards btb weave - this also holds true for the weave in general (3 or 5 beat). The reason for this is the way our wrists are built - the forwards weave is just more natural. But the reverse is definitly doable, it isn`t even that hard to do, but the learning process can be annoying. I have found that one of the best ways to acquire any btb moves is to practise them with clubs (or sticks weighted at the end ) first. This builds up the required wrist flexibility and enables you to slow down a given move considerably, which helped me a lot ... come to think of it - no tangled chains either.When you try btb moves with pois use comet pois - i think the tail helps you a lot by slowing the move down and at the same time stabilizing the trajectories of the pois.Learning btb moves might be annoying but isdefinitly worth it. Given enough time the moves become quite natural and add a touch of class to your swinging! So keep up the good work.Oh, and by the way, this board is really great! Happy swinging to you all.

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
hey funkenflug, thanx for that; using sticks seems like a popular techique; haven't got round to trying it yet because i am stubborn i guess grin but i think i am gonna give it a try if i don't get it soon...as for the tip about using comets thanx a lot, maybe it's a good time to take my comet set out of the drawer wink...happy swinging,Simos

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
wow i just tried the btb weave with comets!!!piece of cake!!! Comets make things so much easier; thanx for that funkenflug...as for the reverse one, i have managed to do a couple of repetitions but i am still very bad at it!!! frown The only problem is that i will have to do it with glowsticks too at some point so we are back to square one <- not true i think it will be much easier once i manage to learn it with the comets...happy swinging,Simos

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
...just got it!!! i managed to do 10 reps - off i go to try the btb turn now grinwill this btb torture ever end i wonder??? confusedhappy swinging,Simos

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
I just learned the btb weave last night, when I got it I was terrified to stop in case I could never do it again, but I can still do it today. YIPPEE!!! All the bruises are now worth it.A tip I was given was to keep swinging your body from side to side (kind of like a snaking motion) so as to avoid hitting yourself with the poi & it worked very well for me.Good luck Simos. One love,Thistlefirepixie.

Are we nearly there yet?

Jessemember
118 posts

Posted:
I'm starting to feel left out here... I still haven't got the btb crossover, much less a weave. Though I'm thinking of buying myself a set of clubs to practice with... Anyone have any preferred learning equipment. I know commets will allow you to slow a move down alot because of the tails, and clubs provide similar advantages. Anyone have a preference here? My light fixtures can't take much more of this!!!

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
hey dont feel too bad, i cant do it yet either. every time I try it I get some major pain in my arm/shoulder...not that I'm not flexible but that i think im bending my arm the wrong way.so i guess I'll try what my tai chi teacher always tells me...relaxrelaxrelax.Pere

Jessemember
118 posts

Posted:
What's really frustrating me is the fact that I can spin a poi behind me maybe 2 or three times, but then (no matter if I'm leaning forward or not) the trajectory of my poi seem to change and I end up hitting myself in the backs of the ankles. I've tried speeding up, etc, and nothing seems to be working.

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
thistle - i am glad you got it! wink i know the feeling, when i first got it myself i didn't want to stop either in case i couldn't do it after but it was alright! grin i think it was me who posted the tip about the side to side snake-like movement and it's important but now i can do the forwards btb weave quite easily and i am working in ways to enter the move apart from the obvious (the standard reverse weave!)... if you are want to try out the reverse one, i just got it a couple of days ago and when i am totally confortable with it and the btb turn i'll post some details for those who need help with it....feel free to ask me any questions while i still have the memories fresh in my mind smileJesse and Pere - i'll try and write something more helpul on the btb weave soon , although the main trick lies in finding the correct body movement and position by experimenting so that you don't hit your calves and shoulders - i'll be able to help more if you tell me what exactly is giving you trouble and where you are hitting yourself... Jesse i never used clubs to learn a move but apparently it's a good practise - comets however make it easier for the btb weave although i learned it with plain tennis balls so you know it's possible whatever you use...a HINT - try the forwards btb weave first (this is the one you enter by swinging in REVERSE at your sides) it's easier i think..when i do it, say the poi are on my left side, then my right hand is close to my back (about 5 cm away) and about 10-15cm above my waist; also you must be flexi enough to make sure it goes far enough to the left but that comes with practise and i am not very flexi either so you won't have so many flexibility problems; it will just feel more confortable a few weeks after you get it (my back still hurts grin)...hope that helps a bit, good luck smileSimos