SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
hey all - i am interested in finding out what others are using as handles for their chains and what grips you use as i am not satisfied with any handles so far...the only thing that i felt confortable with so far was when i tied a kind of knot which would get really tight around my fingers when i started swinging my glowsticks ( the 'chain' was a soft, thick piece of cord though) - well although it did squeeze my fingers a bit( i use the middle and 3rd finger because when i started learning i had a broken index finger - any reasons why using the index is better?) it felt confortable in the sense that i really felt my Poi as extentions of my hands and i could swing with my palms open and fingers nearly straight if i wanted which i quite liked - note that this way you get no friction problems at all; is anyone else using anything really tight around their fingers? what else can do to get a really secure and firm grip??? is there a way to make something that i can put my fingers in and then make it tighter somehow? oh and finally has anyone used the twin finger loop thingie? is it any good?thanx a lot and happy swinging smile , Simos[This message has been edited by Simos (edited 16 December 2000).]

sammiemember
56 posts

Posted:
Hey SImos...long time no see smilePOI HANDLES - we've been using a wide, soft cheap sling material which protect your fingers - using two fingers feels better as it doesn't put so much strain on just one - personal preferance I guess.If you have prusik cord or rope i.e like on practise poi you might wanna tape it up to avoid blisters......mmmmmm nice! tongueTime to go! Sammie...

bobrobmember
61 posts

Posted:
double loops, are clearly the way forward!esp. with thick material that holds its shape a bit - seems to give you a bit more control on the tricky stuff...i've not looked back mate!inabit(in case youre interested, i use this 2cm wide paraffin wick i had spare)

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
i have tight handles made by Jim of Katoomba (i learned from him about 2.5 years ago while i was doing my honours project in springwood...katie the birdgirl if any of you are on here)anyway theyre hollow tube climbing webbing with a piece of climbing rope inside giving it stiffness. its sewn together in a loop sort of like a figure eight with a clip for the chains on one loop and you fit one finger in the other loop. at the junction the whole thing is sealed off with shrinkable electric tubing. the only drawback is that after 2 years the webbing has stretched and the piece of rope is sort of chaffy. i got a lot of blisters early on but once I stopped trying to twirl the thing around my finger i have not had any problems.theyre really sturdy...maybe ill try something with two loops...sounds like a good idea.Peregrine

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
I use double finger thingie. I obtained some leather that was being thrown out at an airline repair shop (don't ask) I just cut 4 strips puncheda hole on either end with an awl. and ran the cable through and locked it. All there is to it. Comfortable, easy, blister free for over 9 months!-PSM

One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind.-Alphonse Bertillon

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Alright...as most of you have prolly guessed, I have this thing for leather. blush I sewed a wide stip of leather (about 2 inches or so) into a loop (soft side in) attached to my clamp and then the clamp to my poi chain. I use cathedral chain...it's like an oval that is crimped in at the ends. I attach my poi and my handles by way of 16 gauge 260pound strength screw clamps....that way any adjustment that needs to be made in a rush can be without issue ( I always have spare heads, handles and chain on hand). I loop that over my middle fingers....keeps me from flipping the bird to a*&holes in the crowd and I like the control with the benefit of no blisters or callouses. Tried the two loop method once by using a 4 inch wide piece of leather, sewing the loop and slicing 3/4 of the way around..thus creating two loops. Didn't like it though...involved too many fingers. grin My original practice poi used cotton cording that was tied in a slide knot for a good grip.It stretched out and it gave me horrific blisters so never again frown. My son's are made out of round nylon shoe laces tied in a square knot under the loop and then reknotted under that with a slip knot for any adjustments. He has had no problems with them so far....but his are NOT fire...no way!!!! I taught him to spin and so he uses his middle finger...really cute to see on a five year old. He has experimented with his other fingers and it is incredible how far poi really can fly with enough spin behind them. rolleyesOh well....hope I added something new..other than the winning the excessive use of faces award (love those faces!!!) :PToodles....------------------PeleHigher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
I just use two keyrings - one a loose fit round my second finger (to which the chain is attached) the other a snug fit on my third finger (as the brake) with them looped through each other.

Drakemember
72 posts

Posted:
that whole double loop thing sounds like a good idea, but in my oppinion, keep in mind ive never tried them. they would make it much harder to do one handed tricks. i myself make my grips out of old belts. i usually shoot for blck leather. as for staff grips (previous thread) i strongly recommend tennis grip. wilson soluton is great and it does wear out too fast.DRAKE

Rainmember
69 posts

Posted:
if you r looking for a two finger grip that gets tighter, have a look at the picture of the fire poi at www.dube.com the two finger grip on these looks like it would get tight as u start to spin. doesn't look too hard to make a similar grip either. Rain.

ALIBABAmember
52 posts

Posted:
i do a lot of stuff with sammie who replied at the top of the page and the fire poi we make use sling (from climbing shops) for handles as it is dead strong (hold a landrover it could)and relatively soft but then we both climb so it is easy to get hold of. i tend to use one finger(middle) in the loop and if doing one handed butterfly trap the other haloop with my thumb and fore finger. works for me.anyone use those club handle type things with the chain coming out of it looks dangerous?

ALIBABACHICKENMANICANSEEYOURUNDERWEAR

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I've got a page documenting my own design for finger nooses (among other things) athttps://www.crossroads.net/a/writing/firemaking.htmlI've actually come up with a slightly more elegant design since then, which I haven't yet documented, but the general idea of both designs is you take a long, wide thong of leather (about 30 cm x 2 cm). Punch a hole in the middle, and pass each end through the hole. Your fingers go through the resultant loops, and you install grommets on the tips, to connect to the chain. This design will always snug down against your fingers once you start twirling, but if you use a reasonable wide thong (2 cm +), it won't be uncomfortable.HTH

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

o-omember
78 posts

Posted:
i've been trying to throw my poi about a bit, and have thought about making a Tee-shaped handle as an alternative. i agree with the hollow climbing tape for regular handles - the tight weave is soft n comfy winkanyway, make a wooden (or summin else?) tee shape that connects to the chain/cable on the bottom of the tee and curl fore finger and second around the top bar of the tee. when you throw the poi, you catch the chain between fingers and let gravity do the rest of the catch...well that's the idea. haven't tried it yet.cheerso-o

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
gosh, so many good ideas on Poi handles...i seem to be more convinced by the double loop thingie and i have basically finished making a set of practice Poi as Xmas present for a friend...i have used leather strips connecting to a key ring (and twin loops) and for a practice Poi it's quite cool (i can't seem to able to put them down grin - maybe i should make myself a set too)...it's very easy to make too, my design is pretty standard, i think the only part that is worth mentioning (just because it's very easy to make and fast) is the following (forgive me if this anyone has already come up with this):you can either use glowsticks or practice Poi at the ends of the string, it's modular and can be changed in a sec...now the interesting part; if you want to make practice Poi using tennis balls very quickly just get something sharp and make two small holes next to each other on each ball (make sure there is 2cm say between the holes though)...now if you get a nice,strong and long (i think 254mm ones are the best) treasury tag you can push the metal bits at the ends of each tag in the holes (one in each hole of course - use a screwdriver to push it all the way in) and voila, it's never gonna come out again and you've got a nice loop on your tennis ball; i don't know how long the string will hold for but it seems quite strong... i know it's not something great but at least you don't have to bother with cutting the balls open... i hope someone finds this useful...happy swinging,Simos[This message has been edited by Simos (edited 21 December 2000).]

Middeonmember
7 posts

Posted:
i use leather on my poi handles and i works great as it is very weather proof grin

**~~<M!DEON>~~**

diskomember
21 posts

Posted:
Yeah double finger straps are the best for me. I make them using nylon webbing - the sort you can buy very cheaply at any fabric or hardware shop/market - its the stuff that you get on sports bags for handles and straps, very light, very strong - the poi available from this site use them. The webbing comes in different thincknesses, widths, colours (as long as its black!)it is very easy to cut, sew, etc and because its nylon you can melt the edges so it does not fray. Voila! No blisters and very easy. I sew them onto key/split rings and then use nylon string with anti-tangle swivels. Top poi!I also have several sets made from skipping ropes. These are NOT fire poi, but UV poi. If you're lucky, get kiddies ones which are flouresent and glow under UV, the effect is lovely and a bit trippy! I just snip a rope in 2 and its the perfect length for me. I leave the handles on and they make quick drops and catches and one-hand stuff dead easy.These work for me, we all have our faves. enjoy. disko.

*burn-baby-burn-disko-inferno*

spiffspiffmember
52 posts

Posted:
How does everyone hold their handles? I have the comet poi from this site and the only way i can spin is by using my index finger. Any other hold seems to make it much harder. O-O - that T shaped handle is a good idea. How much does the handle weigh? I would think its weight would have a huge effect when you throw the poi.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
SpiffSpiff,Practice poi I hold with my middle finger, letting the line of it lay over my index, it's the only way they are comfortable.My performance poi I hold with my middle and ring fingers, dropping my middle finger out of the loop, which is the only way my leather handle is comfortable to me.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
wow and i thought i was the only one to use the middle and ring finger!!! i got started this way because my index was broken at the time (and is still not 100% ok) but i definitely prefer that grip now! i would also highly recomend tight, leather double loops!it boils down to personal preference though i suppose.spiffspiff for the comet poi, since they have a big handle (which i don't personally like) you can do the following:put it round two fingers (say index and middle one) and have your palm facing downwards and the poi hanging; now you can pass the end of the handle between the two fingers and swing - that feels better, it's more like double loops rather than a big, single one,happy swinging,Simos

Middeonmember
7 posts

Posted:
i use thin leather straps2cm x 15cmit is strong and durable

**~~<M!DEON>~~**

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
With regard to handles the best thing i found is lashing straps for tying down cargo on lorries. Its cheap to buy in hardware stores and when cut to lengths and sewn into twin loop handles is very comfortable. I swing for hours and have no sore fingers at all. I recomend doubling up on the split ring so as to avoid accidents. long live the life!

Are we nearly there yet?

moonglowBRONZE Member
32 posts

Posted:
Hey simos - I use these umm ok not sure what they are called - but hardware stores have them for putting bolts into brick - they are a 2 piece arrangement - where the sleeve tightens as you screw the bolt in and pushes a kinda flange out against the sides - so I wack a hole in the tennis ball - push the thing in and screw it up - I was then screwing a bathtup chain holder to it to tie to ... but they keep wearing through ... so I tried taking the bolt out afterwards, running the cord through and using a piece of wire to hook it out the bottom and knot it like a really knotty thing before pulling the knot back inside the ball ....hope that makes some kinda sense smileps for firepoi Ive been using clip on swivels from fishing tackle - they seem to be great - Ive got home made towling poi which get quite heavy and these things havent stretched or worn at all!! - whereas before I was going through split rings and clips like crazy - and they are really easy to get the poi on and off with as well .. fishing tackle split rings are better than hardware ones as well - since they are weight tested and have a rating - the heavy ones are like scarey looking things smilecyas

I wish I could jump like that, he thought. Some can and some can't. That's how it is.
Winne-the-Pooh.

emptysetmember
98 posts

Posted:
i use normal size round shoe laces which i tie the glowsticks to one end of, and make a slipknot at the other end. becuase this leaves the string really long i tighten the slipknot around my wrist wrap the extra cord around 4 times then once around my index finger. the reason i like this opposed to straps is becuase u can wrap the string several times around your index finger and let it out a few loops while swinging. it looks great when this is done in the middle of a trick.

Its all in good, clean, light producing fun.

Sachamember
15 posts

Posted:
I agree with Disco, I like leather ones as well, but the nylon webbing feels soo nice around your fingers--and it's cheap!(must be black of course!). Double finger gripped, for more control,and in case one breaks, you have a back-up.Love and light, happy twirling!Sacha

willow2xSILVER Member
KeepTheWorldSpinning Originator
49 posts

Posted:
i know that this may not be the right place to post this but here it goes...

i recently just made some handles for the ronan poi, there the Px3 handles with abec ball berings in (there was a post on this somwherein the forum i just cant find it)

got to say they're awesome!!! just the right weight for throws ill be making a vid sometime soon on how to make them =D

KTWS!

ps, if anyone wants to link the post i was talking about, pls link me up ^^

KeepTheWorldSpinning with me =]

FlipyGOLD Member
7 posts

Posted:
I seen a guy with leather double loops like the ones sold on here but he folded the finger loops inside the middle and wraped black tape around it to hold it together in a leather square that is nice to hold between thumb and pointer finger he was pretty good at one handed tricks i think it was because the handles because i made the same things (but i used a zip tie to hold them together so they wouldnt get sticky) and they fit together in your palm great