Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
I'm looking for information for doing a full body burn. Anything you guys can tell me would help.

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

Auspoiboymember
219 posts

Posted:
Do it carefully grinAPB

Good on usGood on us all

Rolphmember
22 posts

Posted:
You're full of useful advice APB.

wulffmember
79 posts

Posted:
my recommendation is find a site that caters to stuntmen

wulff

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Not so sure that that's a "do it yourself" kind of thing. Guys spend their lives doing that stuff, and quite a bit of money.I hope this is for informational purposes only... wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Does the word 'CREMATION' pop into anyone elses mind while reading this thread??------------------Mark P (the mad chemist)

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Knagi, there's only one safe way to do afull body burn, that's to burn someone else!!!Seriously, Wulff and NYC are totally right. I wouldn't accept any advice from people on this board, just on the odd chance they may not be right or talking about a friend of a friend of a friend.Stunt people, who have done it before, would be the only people I would think about trusting with this sort of information. please be aware, it's not like a quick burn with poi or staff.They take hours to prepare these things, have a huge, well-equipped and experienced safety team (experienced in full burns, not just firedancing).If you are even thinking about attempting this, don't believe anyone straight away, and don't even listen to people who are just guessing. The only ones with any knowledge will be those who have already done it SAFELY!!!There is a reason for the popular notion of damned souls burning in hell for all enternity, thats because a full body burn is one of the most painful and horrific things that most people could even imagine experiencing.Take care of yourself, Knagi, I really would feel happier if you don't even try anything like this.Charles the Energizer Safety Bunny

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I dunno, be crazy!Wear jeans and a cotton T-shirt, douse your self in meths stand by a swimming pool, strike a match and get ready to dive!!*Public Disclaimer*This is meant as a joke------------------https://welcome.to/thehugbubble I have only one burning desire....let me stand next to your fire

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Ok.... well yes yes and yes.. I'm safe it's not for me. And I'm all for this guy havin at it if he really wants. I'm just the info scout and befor I tell him to go dress up in layers of wet cotten and a layer of kero soaked cotten I wanted to get your guys theoys. His saftey crew is pretty much gonna be me and a few other fire peeps and a large body of water. However I mostly doubt my idea's due to the water that protects him would turn and start burning him. And I have no idea of how to cover his face or if feeding him air is needed. Did anyone see how tom green did it?I did do some stuntman searching for full body burns. Only found out that the record holder burned for 2 miniutes and 14 seconds. None of the ppl I've found that do this have an e-mail addy on there site... G wonder why smile------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Energizer Safety Bunny hops back onto the stage....NO NO NO NO NO...please please please no clothing soaked in water! The water will heat up to steam and burn him before the flames will. He needs an expensive apparatus to breath with, as breathing in superhot air will scorch his lungs, throat and sinuses, if not actually charring them.The large body of water will do the same thing, it will bubble and boil and end up burning him just as badly.The only safe way to put out any large flame on someone is with a DRY fireblanket. Mositure and intense heat, combined with the layer of blanket will trap the steam between the blanket and the persons skin.If you guys can't talk to at least 3 or 4 stunt people (just in case one of them is wrong) don't try it at all...The guy could die in unbelievable pain, or maybe he'll survive with 3rd degree burns, or if by some miracle he comes out with only a few nasty swollen burns, someone else will try it without safeties coz anyone can do it.Please let the guy read this post himself, this is not worth the risks.There have been 6 recorded instances where wanna-be stuntmen have lit themselves up in all manner of ways, and all six of them died. Admittedly it did take one of them three weeks in the burns unit to leave this world.please don't do it, or be involved at all...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I have to agree with Charles on this one... I recommend you stay out of it and persuade your friend to do the same...Imagine if something went horrifically wrong, as is almost inevitable; how would you deal with the guilt knowing that you had a hand in all this?

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I do know that they use layer upon layer of heat "resistant" silver clothing. I know they use a specially made head covering face mask thing (like a ninja hood). I know that they use a specially made air tank under this. They wear kevlar suits, notice, plural, more than two and then put the gel fuel on the top. I don't know what specifically this all is but I do know from watching a special on stunts and stuff that the gear costs several hundreds of dollars, at best.And they way they put these guys out isn't with a blanket (sorry to disagree Charles) because to get that close to that much heat to smother someone would put the safety crew at risk as well. They have the guy lay on the ground, face down, and they spray him over with a fire extinguisher.Personally, Knagi, I wouldn't be involved with anything like this. In the end if something goes wrong, not only can he be held responsible but so can the safety crew. This is something I think should be left to the professionals completely, in doing the stunt and in safetying. And as far as being the one to do the research, if you tell him how to do it, and it goes bad, then it can turn on you. I would really think again about involving myself in this one if I were you, Just mho.You know I love ya and am just trying to look out for ya Knagi!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I've seen interviews with the dude who did the flaming run through the Pantera concert (destruction tour?) he had EXPENSIVE equipment (fire retardant suits..several layers of) trained safety personnel and only did it for nine seconds. Just the way you are talking about this stunt reeks of irresponsibility - If this kid is seriously hurt and you are involved there will be legal repercussions ON YOU. (besides the guilt you will experience for the rest of your life).Trained Stunt ppl do stunts like this, not kids next to lakes with nothing better to do with their kero.Josh[This message has been edited by [Josh] (edited 13 November 2001).]

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Guys lay off a little hey!He was just asking advise!!Yeah it may be a stupid thing to do, but until someone explains what sort of equipment is needed then they may not have a clue...

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This brings something to mind... The cover to Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here...https://www.angelfire.com/tx3/inafishbowl/images/wish1.jpgread the below, not only is it an interesting tidbit for fans, but also is indicative of just how dangerous and uncontrollable full body burns are - the entire stunt had to be re-directed because of something as simple as the wind.so much to consider..."The result was one of the more memorable Floyd covers: a man shaking hands with a burning Doppelgänger of himself, which was photographed in the Burbank Studios lot in Los Angeles, Calif. (To get a more accurate view of the photo, hold it up to a mirror. Because the direction of the wind caused the stuntman to get his face burned by the flames, the models were directed to switch positions and shake with their left hands"from https://www.floydianslip.com/discs/wywh.htm#[This
message has been edited by flash fire (edited 13 November 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the "Moderators to Earth" call, Frenzie.I think all of us are just shocked at the very idea of trying this, and are reacting with very strong opinions because we do not want anyone to be hurt, either because of a lack of knowledge, or any thing that comes from this thread.I apologise for some of the language I or fellow moderators may have used. But I also back up all of their points and comments, without rescinding any at all.Knagi, thank you for bringing this up rather than just allowing this guy to kill himself in front of you and the others. Hopefully, your action has prevented the death of this person. please print this off, or email him a link to this page so he can make his mind up for himself.Many thanksCharles (INFERNO)------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Funny you should mention that pink floyd cover flash... I think that's one of the things they wanted to attempt. Also At the local hippy campground I goto there's a guy who does this every year in july. I missed him this year.. Think it was the only event I missed. However me and mealstrom hang out at this same place, Maybe we'll get to run into him next year. https://www.nlqp.com/burningted.htmCharles
I doubt this page will deture him. I went into much more "gory" details of just about everything that could happen to him from trying to do this. I also told him he "will" get burns without a question and there's a good chance of reciving internal burns. Perhaps the expensive suit will be enough to deture him. How do stuntmen become trained if they don't learn.Thanks for not being totally shocked I brought this up pele. smile He's already said that he's signing releses for anyone who helps him do it. I'd rather be there with my highent paranioa to point out anything that could cause a problem instead of leaving him to a pack of insane pyro's.[This message has been edited by Knagi (edited 13 November 2001).]

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
This is no help but it's topical https://members.aol.com/unifrmfire/uniform.html
Not the sanest bunny at the picnic.

Meh

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
self immolation is so passe anyway... it's like soooo 1960's...

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
https://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Lights/1833/firesprt.htmlfound
this linked to your link Cantus. what an idiot! this guy is putting himself on fire INDOORS in his BEDROOM lying on his MATTRESS...!!! house-fire anyone?

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
And letting himself be photographed wearing that t-shirt. Can anyone say "fashion no-no"?Looks like an extra from The Crimson Pirate.

Meh

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Charles:I totally agree with all that was said, I just thought Josh's comment (sorry josh :P) was a little harsh.The board is a place where people can ask for info and i think that telling them to contact professionals is very sound. I wouldnt want to see someone go off and do this without being under the supervision of a professional.But yeah, thats where my comment came from.:P------------------ - Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -https://wickeffect.cjb.net

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Main dangers with this stunt (from a risk assessment point of view):1. Burns (due to the flames and heat)2. Suffocation (either due to lack of air during the burn, or during the extinguishing process - done with dry chem extinguishers)3. Disorientation (due to the weight of safety gear being worn)4. Your safeties wont hear you through the layers of safety gear - need another form of communication5. You can't see, hear, touch or breath - (do you rely on the only sense left to guide you during the burn - that of taste?)6. Finding a suitable/tested fire resistent gel.Equipment at a minimum: custom made stunt gear including full kevlar body suits and other PPE.In essence this trick is just that - an illusion of being on fire. With all illusions, there are certain tricks employed to minimise the risks and to attempt to 'control' the situation. When we fire dance, we don't give the illusion we dance with fire because we DO dance with fire. In the above trick, we are NOT on fire, but give the ILLUSION of being on fire. Different basis for beginning IMHO.Hey - you be careful out there![Hill Street Blues]

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
tis ok Frenzie, like everyone including me, I'll defend your right to speak your mind - as long as doing so doesnt prohibit someone else's right to do so.Rock on chiller. smileJosh[This message has been edited by [Josh] (edited 13 November 2001).]

Auspoiboymember
219 posts

Posted:
As an fire-man *puffs out chest* I would also like to point out that you would not just use kero/metho/insert_common_flammable_liquid_here. Professional stuntmen use a special chemical that does not heat up itself, only burns.As for jumping in the pool!!! Not a good idea.Clothing that is on fire will stick to the skin if put out in the wrong fasion. This basically maens either extensive skin grafts or amputations. Even with two or three layers this will happen. Thats why people where kevlar body suits over the top of fire retardent gel that keeps the body cool. Also you should use a dry chemical fire extinguisher.I hope this helped. Cheers APBP.S. My last point is that i would severly try and talk your freind out of doing something that is going to end up on real tv (when fire goes bad, The worlds worst full body burn) It is set for disaster. And your freind could end up without legs and arms and all sorts of stuff.

Good on usGood on us all

Charlymember
68 posts

Posted:
DANGER DANGER DANGER!What kind of silly person would get the idea that trying this without professional assistance and advice is a good idea?I just so happen to have two friends who *are* professional stuntpersons and *do* actually do full and partial body burns.Mr. Full Body Burn uses a special exothermic cream (that means it makes you cold - sucks heat away) which would kill him from hypothermia if he *didn't* light himself on fire. Not only that, but he only allows family members to help him prepare for a full body burn (his wife being his main assistant). Had the honor of seeing it in person last year... it was quite spectacular, but I think I held my breath the whole time. Quite scary. He does *not* use any alumnized fire-resistant clothing, as Pele said some body-burners do. He is also one of the most focused, professional individuals I have ever met. A very smart man who does a very dangerous thing. We got to keep his scorched glove as a souvenier... Anyway, wet clothing will steam your friend to death, if the smoke doesn't suffocate him. Not to mention the lack of being able to communicate with the safety team, as others have mentioned.Personally, I'd get as far away from this person as you can... if you can't talk him out of it.Good luck,~*Charly*~www.cabiri.org