Forums > Help! > Backwards weave that isnt there...

Login/Join to Participate

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
My hands dont seem to go right so I can do a backwards weave... I'm really frustrated... I can forward weave fine, but this is getting annoying.... help ne1?
Plus my arms arent quite right when it come to behind the back butterfly... I can do butterfly and transfer to doing it behind my head but when it comes to bending forward and doind it I cant.... tried for several hours in a row, and it just wont come to me... maybe I'm lacking inspiration.

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
and I've tried to use the low wave as a transition into btb butterfly... but nope... still no luck.

-Ba^eX-member
254 posts

Posted:
for me...i was never taught how to do the backwards weave...i pretty much did a forward weave then turned myself around and did what i thought was right...and somehow it was...lol

the only thing i can say is that after speaking to a few people about it...it does feel very unusual when first starting...as most moves do...

believe me i had quite a few headaches and bumps along the way...still often do hit my head...ha ha ha

Only thing i can say is persist in it and dont give up...eventually it will just flow and you wont even notice you are doing it

As with btb butterfly...i cant really help...that is if i even helped with the backwards weave

If life was a ball of fire...i would be the poi sustaining it

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
That's how i learn't backwards weave . By just turning around and figuring out finally how not to hit myself. As for behind the back butterfly why don't you start from a reverse butterfly in front it makes it a lot easier to transfer to the back .

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

-Ba^eX-member
254 posts

Posted:
lol...i guess i made sense then huh :-D

If life was a ball of fire...i would be the poi sustaining it

Fire Mamamember
53 posts

Posted:
I learnt the backwards weave without turning into it...took me a while for sure. I just started by spinning towards me, alternately and then ...when the right poi is coming up...I THROW it over my left poi. After this...remember that the force of the spin(the wrist action) is all about coming towards you. Keep this in mind...that you are basically "flicking" the poi towards you instead of sppining them outwards like you do in the forward weave. Once you've "cracked the move" once and felt it, you're as good as there and it is super easy to understand how you turn from one to the other. Now.....the behind the back weave...that's another story..still haven't cracked that one myself....
Hope this helps!

Thru meditation I program my heart to beat break beats and hum bass lines on exhilation....

MozyBRONZE Member
*.. If ya can't be Good, Be Good at it..*
147 posts

Posted:
I know i can't really help you in some sence but at the same time i can. You see i can do it backwards but not forwards. So you could say im in the same boat as you . Now the way i lernt the btb reverse weave was simply doing the actions with one poi....right side for awhile the left side...does that make any sence at all. Now the actions are

right side:one routation on the right side of ya body and then you swing it to the other side of ya body (so the poi is on ya left side). Once you get it there it's two routations then back again.

Now it's the same with the left hand....one routation on the left and two on the right side of ya body

I hope this helps you in anyway ....now as me....im going outside and practice this btb forward weave

Bye bye and Good luck
Loki

watching the world go by!!!!

Trick ferret on the making hehe!!!!
Everybodyknows me as (TriX)

MozyBRONZE Member
*.. If ya can't be Good, Be Good at it..*
147 posts

Posted:
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...i completly read your post wrong...ha ha ha i thought you were talking about btb weave, i have made a fool of myself ....im ok now.

The way i lernt was simply by watching my hands do it forwards and then pretending that i was upside down. Also it help me to turn as well cause once you turn around you could either smash your head....which i did many many times...or you could think about it and try doing the reverse.

Also don't forget when doing forwards that you bring the arm over the other...which you already know. Now when doing reverse it's under the arms and not over.

Im not very good at explaining things but i do try

Good Luck

watching the world go by!!!!

Trick ferret on the making hehe!!!!
Everybodyknows me as (TriX)

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
I

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
I

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
I

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
I

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
I

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
I

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
I

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
I

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
I

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
I

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
I will do btb wv when I can do reverse... does it help or does either direction matter?

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
Whoops... dunno wot happened there.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
it doesn't exist, we've been winding you up. All those poi videos are faked.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
I got this one recently. I tried all the techniques going: forwards weave converted over, going in from the butterfly, nothing worked. In the end I shortened my chains right down until the entire things were about 8 inches, put them behind my back and waved them around until I got something that felt right, it took about a day of trying, you'll hit yourself loads but at that length they don't do any damage at all. Once the hands felt right I lenghtened them to about half my normal length and tried again, hit myself some more but it worked, then got them full length, ended up with calves bruised to hell, but it worked. I've also found that poi with swivels tend to be a bit easier to manage at first, but that could just be me.

Don't be put off if it doesn't work at first, it will come.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
I'll try tht 2... avnt cum across that, I am willing to try. Thanks

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
Thank you everyone... I can do it now... Tempest helped me 2 complete it... but ur tips worked ace.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
heya snowy!
the problem with learning on poi is that you can't learn moves in slow motion, cus the chain will just flop straight down without speed.
(yay for non-deforming staff!!)

you can, however, overcome this problem wuth a pair of juggling or indian clubs. Just treat them like petrified poi.
then get a friend to do the move *right* in front of you.
mimicing is an excellent way to learn - it's the fastest and most interactive IMHO.

good luck mate, and i expect ya to post your success on the 'just learnt a new move' thread!!!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always