Forums > Help! > I'm doing my senior paper on fire arts any info would be great

Login/Join to Participate

karma_247member
3 posts

Posted:
hey, I am planing to do my senior paper on the fine arts of fire. I would greatly enjoy any information, and or history you know on their developement. Thank you
karma_247@hotmail.com

robertsBRONZE Member
91 posts

Posted:
i kinda want to read the paper. think it still exists after 3 years?

if anyone orders Merlot, i'm leaving.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
think that guy still posts here after three years with only three posts?

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

AzadondoSILVER Member
journeyman
59 posts

Posted:
Well, I just emailed her listed addres and gave her a link to this thread asking her to post it if she still has it-- so who knows, we might get lucky.

Performing marriages, funerals, baptisisms, last rites and absolving the sins for HoPers for-- not very long actually.

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
Speaking of the history of the fire arts, what was used before Kevlar? Was it fiberglass? Asbestos?

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

robertsBRONZE Member
91 posts

Posted:
my guess is cotton. how far back are we going here. 50 years or 150.

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
Well, I figured that we used cotton back in the land before time, but I was refering to more like 10 years ago. Kevlar hasn't been around for a while, but I haven't been around long enough to remember those days.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

robertsBRONZE Member
91 posts

Posted:
good question. kevlar has been the preferred wick for as long as i have been spinning. not that that is all that long. a lot of the early threads talk about towel wicking covered in chicken wire. denim seemed popular as well. any old school folks have any insight?

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
you could

and i mean could

go here

https://www.poiinthepark.net/modules/articles/article.php?id=34

and read about marui history with poi

Step (el-nombrie)

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
I made my first firestaff about 10 years ago. From memory it had a wick that had a fibreglass component. It wore out pretty quickly. We would have bought it in a hardware store. Someone then told us about Kevlar and sold us a bit.. I think it was Denny, who by amazing coincidence I am having a relayed MSN/ Phone call with at this very moment!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....