adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Malcolm--Many of us, myself included, have commented that it is unfortunate that the twirler's original music choice needs to be overdubbed by something else in order to avoid rights problems.It just occurred to me that we can get around this--kind of. If you could post MP3s of the music *in advance*, then we could download those and burn CDs (or even play into a tape recorder through the sound-out) and perform to that. Our options, obviously, would be limited, but at least our performances would be in synch from the viewer's perspective.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

TanzenBRONZE Member
55 posts

Posted:
I am a LONG way from entering a competition against other people here on this site...but I second your point.A BIG difference between me and other people who spin glowsticks in clubs is that while others just swing them around violently and randomly, I am in sync with the music.Not only does the music play a major role in deciding when I am to change moves, but it definatly looks better and people are put into a "trance" (so to speak) easier.If there was an MP3 file on here, then I (and others) could just download it onto the computer, burn it to CD-R/RW, and then play it back during their performance.Tanzen[This message has been edited by Tanzen (edited 04 February 2002).]

Ravers don't share glowsticks!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Or....What if the DJ/music types who wish to have their music put on here post them to MP3's and then we can have our choice of what we like in the end? That would leave Malcolm with less work!They would just have to let us know where to find it!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

TanzenBRONZE Member
55 posts

Posted:
I've started making inquiries to DJs I know who might want to submit tracks to use. If I'm able to get any, then I will post them on the www and let you all know of the address.However, here's the issue...it's my understanding that people want their poi to match the music. Even if they were to download the tracks and use poi to the music, once the editing of the video is done, it's not going to match anymore (when putting the video together, only the video part of the contestants entries will be used, not the sound). So, when the music is layed over the video, it'll no longer match the music and so you're back to square one...follow?So, the only way I can think to fix this is to get everyone to use the same 10 songs (or however many tracks we get to choose from). Then, group the people using certain tracks together. Then, when it's time to put the music over the video, have a DJ match the music to the speed of the poi/staff/etc on the video.Obviously, this will take a skilled DJ...but it can be done. When a DJ mixes, he/she speeds up or slows down a track to match another track. The only difference would be that the DJ would speed up or slow down the track to match the poi. Heck, it may even be easier since the DJ will be able to use his/her ears (for the music) and eyes (for the video)...as opposed to using the left ear for one track, and the right ear for the other track when beatmixing.I have all my own DJ equipment and if given an advanced copy of the video, I could mix a CD for it, send the CD back to whoever, and they could lay it over the video.Yes...this is all a lot of work. But, just thowing it out there as a possible solution.Tanzen------------------Ravers don't share glowsticks!

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Music? eh too much effort!I'm just gonna spin my ass off tongue

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

kakamember
3 posts

Posted:
i think all should spin to the same tune. it's the easiest way to sync the video.

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
I think Tanzen has a very good point about the videos and editing...

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

TanzenBRONZE Member
55 posts

Posted:
Alright...I've made contact with a DJ/Producer who is willing to allow us to use his music. I need input about what type of music should be in the video. I haven't seen the first two videos, but I did hear a track that was on one of them (Malcolm sent me a link for the song).Lots of vocals in the music? No vocals? Some vocals?I was thinking something with a nice beat from an electronic genre of music (trance, techno, breakz, etc).Anyone? Malcolm? Pele? Bueller? grinTanzen------------------Ravers don't share glowsticks!

TanzenBRONZE Member
55 posts

Posted:
Another option would be this...I get the tracks that will be used in the video. I make a 60 minute mix using those tracks. I upload the mix onto a website so that people wanting to submit videos can download the music and perform to it. Then Malcolm can edit the video so that it matches the music (rather than me matching the music to the video).This may be easier. The reason is because we all know that electronic genres have "breakdowns". Well, it would be easier for Malcolm to insert someone spinning slow into where the breakdown would be than it would be for me to insert a breakdown to where someone is spinning slow. I mean, I could do it...but it wouldn't sound as smooth.Heck, or I could just say "to hell with the breakdowns" and mix the CD with out them in there (relatively easy to do).Again...I just need some feedback/ideas.Tanzen------------------Ravers don't share glowsticks!

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
hmm.. your into DJing tanzen? cool, me2.anyway.. i think that's good what you are willing to do here..i personally didn't care much for the music on COL2, it was OK but.. there is much better electronica out there...it doesn't really matter what we spin to, as long as it's synced to the beat..in an ideal world, we'd all spin to our own tracks, then, you'd mix them together..but.. this is not an ideal world, i doubt you have all the songs, and i doubt they will all mix together well.do you mix with records or CDs, or maybe mp3s? with records could be tough, but i could always send you my track on mp3 and you could burn it to CD.------------------~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

TanzenBRONZE Member
55 posts

Posted:
The problem is we're looking for music that 1) can be used on the video without having to pay the artist and record label a lot of money to use it, and 2) won't have to get in touch with the artist and record label for permission to use the tracks (because that's difficult to do...even if they let their music be used in the video for free).Yes, I DJ. If you read BPM Magazine (an international magazine out of California), then check out their May 2001 issue...I'm mensioned in there (place 13th out of thousands of other DJs in their competition).I DJed in Germany (where I lived the past 6 1/2 years) and a few times here in the States since I've been back. It's nothing I would ever consider doing "as a real job"...I just do it because I love it. As for the format I use...I prefer CD...but have to use vinyl on occastion.If you (or anyone else) would like one of my mix CDs to use for your practices/perfomances or just to listen to, email me.Tanzen------------------Ravers don't share glowsticks![This message has been edited by Tanzen (edited 06 February 2002).]