Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Double Big Sticks. Anyone else dumb enough?

Login/Join to Participate

Oakenmember
34 posts

Posted:
Hi guys... new here... nice to meet you all! So here goes... I'm looking for some feed back concerning the fine art of trying to manipulate 12 ft of stick. Just to clarify I'm pretty advanced with one staff, and am self teaching doubles... i've met lot's of kids who are amazing with doubles, (smaller one though) who gave me some great advice, but unfortunately alot of their moves will not translate to a six footer, stupid physics, a fire twirlers nemesis, no? I dont know, man... Im just sort of at a standstill now. I can do parralel moves, as well as reversals, what i mean to say by reversals is either stick twirling opposite directions on a vertical plane, turning the body etc... a few throws, (god, crowds just eat that shit up eh?) But when I try to improvise my sticks just eat eachother for breakfast.... Look forward to hearin from you's all...
one love

One Love, Dont forget.

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
Hi Oaken, I use 5ft doubles at the moment but used to use 3ft ones. I think in total, there are more possibilities with long stick. I know you lose out on buzzsaw type (in front of body) moves and some of the horizontal stuff, but you gain loads of double contact moves. Also they keep their momentum and plane of rotation much nicer - i remember someone saying here once "big sticks know where they're going, short ones have to be told" (all credit to who ever came up this!, it couldn't be said any better )
Long ones require a lot more strength (it took me a long time to able to practice long sessions without my shoulders hurting like hell.. ) and yes they clash much easier, so one needs to be more accurate...

I guess it comes down to preference, i've seen some mindblowing stuff with both short and long doubles.

Mike

TheApprovingNinjaFrom the Ashes of a Ninja Rise THE HIPS OF RAGE
371 posts

Posted:
My doubles aren't the best but i MUCH prefer using longer sticks. There is a point about losing some of the buzzsaw stuff but combining doubles and contact makes for some really snazzy moves. Just rock the momentum.

Viva UGLY STAFF

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
i'm with the personal preference opinion... but i go for 5ft ones.. i think 6ft may be a fraction too long until you are happier with doubles... just as a point of interest, how tall are you? for reference i am 6'... and 5' seems perfect for me with 12cm wick...

enjoyR

R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Oakenmember
34 posts

Posted:
Hey kids, how goes it... Amen blue cat.. It's so true about the big stick knowing where it's going... That's a large part of my style is just gettin' that sum-@%&$% twirlin' and then throwin my body every which way around and through it, and my wrists and hands just know what to do thankfully!

And blue cat, I do realize that goin a little smaller would be a little smarter but that's not exactly my strong point, Im only 5'10 but all I know to use is a six footer. If you start out smokin' cigars, then cigarettes just might not do the trick. See where I'm comin from?

And one more thing, I'm a vet ftwirler but alot of the terms in here are alien to me... What exactly are contact moves?

Also, I'm not quite as good with my left.. With single staff I can do all my moves With both hands but the left is a little weaker, a little less coordinated, Do you think this is a big problem? Should I train with my left until it is up to par and then jump into doubles? Or would you reccomend Just goin for it and lettin ol' lefty catch up in time....

One Love, Dont forget.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
Rproobably just going for it... but i agree with you on the idea that you should use the same size for single and double... else how can you transfer moves form one to two so easily....?

contact... hmmmmmm. have a look at nix? in COL4... gives you a good idea.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Psi:
- i remember someone saying here once "big sticks know where they're going, short ones have to be told" (all credit to who ever came up this!, it couldn't be said any better )

cheers!

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
MATCHSTICKS! MATCHSTICKS! MATCHSTICKS!

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
... seriously tho...why limit yourself to *only* using one length? why not master both styles? that way you can surely find new moves for both sizes right?

I use Nesbitt doubles...not tiny, but not "ideal" for contact either (that being said, you still can if you've got the moves down)... bit the ease of any buzzsaw, under arm plane, cross (and variations) and horizontals makes them much more fun and flowing (*of course this is my personal opinion and counts for dick for anyone elses preferences...blah blah blah*)

What's the big ting about being able to chuck on a few contact moves? I guess I'm much more into being able to move than to to do techy stuff...or to be able to do techy stuff while moving....

and besides Nix...you pounced on mine at Glasters after I'd done with. What was the quote? "I never knew you could do so much with matchsticks?" maybe I was trippin' tho

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
couldn't agree more.. learn long doubles, then matchsticks
cause there's beautiful stuff to be had with both

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
No, Nox, I hafta agree with you there....

I been playing with matchticks latly and have to comfirm how much fun it is, go to it peaple! :yay!:

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

XanathBRONZE Member
67 posts

Posted:
when i do doubles i do four footers. i like them they're perfect for me! they do have a great deal of weight to them though.

Power percieved is power achieved.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Play with both...

Simple really...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
PS whats a matchstick (I think i can guess but better to be safe than sorry)

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
FYI, matchsstick is a cute term to describe smaller fire staves. often they are light, wooden and on fire, hence matchsticks.

I attribute Bluecat for coining this cool term - at least on HoP.

:tips hat toward Mr Inferno:

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Axenewbie
28 posts

Posted:
I was trying this out last night, and damn do my arms ache this morning........

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
erm its an amalgam term. mebambamknoxiousnixanddrew i think.

when i get back i am making another 3.5m staff so as to spin doubles

R