Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Odd Stick Things (a cry for help)

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Dear Aunty Marjorie,

My friends are all into poi, and dance about doing all manner of funny technical swingamabobbery such as hypeduploops, vice-relations and jillycoopergans.

but i like sticks more than poi because when i use poi i resemble a stumbling zombie on ketamine being attacked by two poltergeists.

Are there no odd, strangely technical and surprisingly bizarre bits of jiggery-pokery that i could do with a stick to impress my geeky poipals?

Are the only technical staff moves really just those contact ones that involve wobbling it around on my shoulderblades in horribly shaky and bent horizontal planes?

yours faithfully,
an inquisitive monkey

[ 26. May 2003, 23:52: Message edited by: simian ]

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Dear stuck with stick

I once read in a book that sticks can be twiddled too!!!

I still think it's all down to magnets though

Hope this has been of home help

Bammers

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by simian:
[QB] Dear Aunty Marjorie,

My friends are all into poi, and dance about doing all manner of funny technical swingamabobbery such as hypeduploops, vice-relations and jillycoopergans.

but i like sticks more than poi because when i use poi i resemble a stumbling zombie on ketamine being attacked by two poltergeists.

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
errm, dear

there are two answers to your problem.

1: No sticks look shit unless you do something really difficult with them.

2: yes, try longarm techniques, martial stuff, throws, doubles, groundwork, foot catches etc etc. Stop trying to stir shit up and mix it up yourself.

Oook

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

3,149 posts

Posted:
doubles? i might just give that a try...

but what i was trying to get at in a roundabout kinda way was "what little odd bizarre and tricky things could you do with a staff?"

Like these coupla examples i bin playin wit:

Staff isolations - holding toward one of the ends and still spinning figure eights etc while keeping the staff centre steady

Stationary Staff Contact - stopping the staff spinning and balancing it on its side on the back of your hand. From there you can move it around, do the contact juggling butterfly to a palm balance etc (thx to Bairie Fen for getting me into these)

y'know, techy stuff. wierd stuff. that kinda business. Just wanted to know if people had cool little different things to do, or if anyone has crazy new concepts to open up whole new areas of cylinder manipulation. y'know, not much

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
well, work on your footwork?

got the hele foot catch? good, got the vertical?

got all the pickups (club flik, club flick stepover, hele picup, the stamp, some more i dont know about...)

try the isolations weithout isolating, you do much btb?

L8r

N

(deserting to firetwirlers for the day cos hop is slow as ****)

-><- Kallisti

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
There is a hell of a lot of technical things you can do with single and doubles.

think about doing all your technical poi moves with doubles. Most are possible, just very very hard.

Josh

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I was in a similar situation a while ago, surrouded by poiers (and a few staffers too).

Then I realised that my motivation to do staff had nothing to do with my wanting to impress others.

I just really enjoyed staff! Suddenly I felt liberated, I wasn't stuck with trying to think of great new ways to impress the other people, I just played with the stick and had fun!

If you want to impress people, do some busking (safely, with a fire extinguisher and fire blanket) or some other safe public exhibition where the general public will oooo and ahh at you.

If you are into something soley to impress others, it will be pretty hard to progress on anything that doesn't come easily and quickly.

In my opnion, of course...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

3,149 posts

Posted:
ok ok, starting to wish i'd put my request in a less attempting to amuse, easier to understand, kinda way.

ANYWAY

what i'm trying to get ideas for are strange stylistic or techy staff moves of a similar ilk to all the poi wierdness (isolations, hyperloops, gilligans) currently circulating about.

Those poi moves all look wierd and cool, and play with ideas of the 'form' of the toy and what you're 'meant' to do with it. i'd like stuff like that to do with a stick, tricks other than normal twirling, throws and contact moves.

Not necessarily something difficult, but something different

oh and Charles, i do staff for the enjoyment and the sense of achievement i get when i learn stuff i find really hard. i don't consider myself a performer, and wanting to impress people doesn't really come into it at all (mostly )

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
There is some really nice staff on staff contact stuff Rob showed me at bjc this year (see "because life isn't" video PK's page ) and some devilstick type moves.
Also crossconfig doubles are v. nice (+hard = can't do them)

Mike

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
have you tried that thing what neo does in the matrix ii where the pole stands on one end and you spin round it parallel to the ground.

thats quite cool.

also, tying some brightly coloured ribbons to the ends of your staffs gives them a nice 'flitter' effect and works to combat the misconception that sticks are really 'just for girls'

[ 27. May 2003, 23:50: Message edited by: coleman ]

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo, theres vertical staff, where you keep it vertical, and move around it, make it float and stuff, mime mostly.

I think staff looks the most boring, because there is no seperation of the ends, you can make anything other than circles, little half pops, spin stops and stuff will break it up, experiment.

N

-><- Kallisti

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Don't forget pinches as well...

Do a neck roll, pinch the staff betweem your shoulder and neck, and then releases it to roll down your arm and back into your hand.

And don't forget super high throws. The higher you throw it, the more you can do underneath, either with another staff, or just fancy footwork.

A cartwheel underneath a thrown staff look awesome!

Of course, the simplest WOW move I can thnk of is a burnoff...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

dwuanosmember
79 posts

Posted:
A one handed cart-wheel while still twirling. Backward rolls down big hills craddling your stick. Really bizzare contortionist moves, some-one explained it like um, spearing lizards, jumping fences and yawning? Theres a lot more to that speal but I getfor. Figure 8's through your legs while pulling off the can can. Does it really have to be techie? the more fun you have with a stick the more your brain thinks up new idea's to make more fun! I reakon anyway.
P.S tying ribbons to the end of your stick is really just for girls

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
I guess this is where I get to finally ramble on about "hacky staffing". It's a play on the hacky sack (aka "footbag freestyle") concept, and it's even good for multiple players. The idea's at least as old as the hills (assuming your local hills were big in the 80's).

Kick it into the air and if it happens to come back down, just kick it again. Repeat'em ad infinitum. I'm not just talking about horizontal 'lifting', either... Try to put a full rotation or two into every kick.

Here's what I've picked up so far.
There are four basic foot positions to kick from: inside, outside, toe, and sole (ball). I haven't tried much heel kicking, but it seems like a likely target. I also practice in tennis shoes, because I like being able to walk later.

You'll need a stick that's sturdy but with good flex. I use 5 foot long x half inch thick bamboo with tennis ball ends to practice with. Then again, that's what I use to practice everything with.

Start off kicking it up at the center point so that there's no rotation and see how many times you can keep it up. Try switching feet. Then find out where you have to kick it off center to make it rotate fast enough to come down spinning, but not too fast to track and position yourself for the next kick. By 'position yourself' I of course mean "run around like mad". Switch kick surface, switch feet, and get a couple in from behind the back. Hell, while your at it, bounce it on your knee a few times, headbutt it and punch it with your fist if it makes you happy... Think "dis-contact".

Apparently there is a load of advanced footbag material on the web (including new naming and notation systems. yay! ) Looking at the "what is a paradox" page fromfootbag.org should either excite you enough (sexually ) to get into this style of sticking, or make your brain explode. It reads like bad stereo instructions. It'll probably make you nostalgic for HoP's fountain descriptions...

In parting, a few tips for kicking with the bottom of your foot from behind your back: 1) keep your foot extended if you want any kind of consistancy; 2) keep your hand in between the stick and your face... Then again, I've only been at this for a few weeks on and off, so please teach me when you get better than me.

Does that sound like something that'll interest you, monkey boy? If not, I'm out of ideas...

-- Dut, professional lurker.

3,149 posts

Posted:
Yay, i do like that, cheers Dut Bruised ankles ahoy! (nice lurking by the way)

sudden vision of ordinary spinning, to a sudden stall, to a drop, bit of footwork, back to catch and spinning again. mmm looks nice in my head.

Dwuanoseses ideas sound cool, but a bit acrobatic for this stumbling munky. The spearing lizards bit sounds intriguing tho

Oh and i tried that Neo out of the Matrix move, Cole. i just ended up with a badly bruised hip. i reckon the problem must be that i'm not computer generated. It's not fair, i want to be a special effect, then i could do loads of cool stuff

Hmmm mime and ribbons eh? methinks Column and Mr Plusclosebracket are just trying to make me look silly besides ribbons would just get in the way when i'm trying to do my ballet moves

Actually i have tried playing with the mime stuff a bit, but getting frustrated by the lack of any big mirrors anywhere i can practice. Clearly i need to start sneaking into dance studios.

also been playing a little bit with staff on staff contact (saw a guy doing wicked quadruple short staff the other day, 2 in each hand doing throws and devilsticky moves and wow) and pinches. But i've been put off pinches a bit because i have trouble stopping them looking a bit wobbly and messy. i know other people that are already doing them incredibly well (coughSmallboycough), and i dunno, i like to try to carve my own niches a little.

Seriously i appreciate all the ideas from everyone. Thanks muchly guys

[ 30. May 2003, 21:20: Message edited by: simian ]

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Yo!

it has occured to me that the other little used or discussed section of staff movement is carrying.

like in poi when the poi is 'carried' across two planes in one beat, the staff does much the same with either front or back end, and can look really squirly (and feel that way to) when done right.

The Baton types refer to things called 'illusions'] but i have never been able to figure out what they were.

Love,

Tom

-><- Kallisti

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Yo Nix, your full of it today innit

Not sure if you just mentioned this one but try using the staff like a spear, one end is in the lead as you turn.

Looks great if one staff is spinning like this and the other is spinnng normally, great to pop in and out of weaves and stragne organic 360's.

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah, and don't forget my stupid signature move where I do a really fast figure 8 straight after dunking and put the staff out.

It is probably the best way to impress about half of the poi people, and make the other half continually ask me why I'd want to waste so much fuel in such a small amount of...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
I saw this staff documentary called "Monkey Magic" where the staff dude in a funky costume pulled a staff outta his ear and then flew about in clouds.

flouridation should be illegal.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
I was doing isolations in the club on saturday, dancing round the stick held in a place in space.

full of what ?

l*r my lovelies

Tom

-><- Kallisti

3,149 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by +):
The Baton types refer to things called 'illusions'] but i have never been able to figure out what they were.
the frustration!

searching for what these are i came across a bulletin board with a thread called illusions?

It wasn't very helpful

further searching...

3,149 posts

Posted:
...was fruitless

3,149 posts

Posted:
Aha!

quote:
Originally posted by Brooke15_83 on a completely different board
They aren't really hard if you are flexable. The
best way I can think to describe it is like a
cartwheel, only with keeping one foot on the ground and not
using your hards. I always do mine to the left - its
easier for me that way. You start out facing forward
with your legs apart. Then you take your right foot
and cross over your left foot so now your body is
facing left. Then you put all your weight on your right
foot and bend your upper body down like you are going
to kiss your knee. As your upper body goes down, you
kick your left leg up and over. And that will turn you
back around to the front. You want your leg to cirlce
over as straight as you can get it. And your hands
aren't supposed to touch the gound. (But when I started
out, I used them to help me get around.) To do them to
the right, you start facing forward, put all yoru
weight on your right leg, bend down like you are going
to kiss your right knee and then kick your left leg
up and around which will turn you around in a
circle. Best of luck to all who have try outs coming up
soon!

its a move a girl did at one of the spittalfields workshops a while back which made me post this:

quote:
She does a crazy spinning round move with her leg in the air. I can do that. In my head.

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
ok, so i'm fully confused PELE!!!! Did i read somewhere you did batons at school or something??

Or is the selfconfessed master of staff, Tanessa lurking anywhere near?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Illusions, aren’t they a drink?
No.
Then have a look in this staff thread

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Toreador VampBRONZE Member
70 posts

Posted:
Simian..

Still waiting to see what sort of madness you come up with for that bloody hammer of mine.

Vamp

Give a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set him on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life
-- Terry Pratchett-Jingo

Reality is what refuses to go away when I stop believing in it.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
I understand,

but three years of streaching required for anything like an attempt to be made

L*r

T

-><- Kallisti

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
for the capoeiristas out there, it looks like a no-hands meia lua de compasso, with the distinctly stiff back and limbs of baton twirling style.

axe!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:

-><- Kallisti

bulldozermember
38 posts

Posted:
Well, you better not come here then 'cause those "super-bendy multi-muscled caporista types" are all over the place down here
I was actually hoping to pick up some of their moves while I'm here and incorporate them into my twirling.

While we're on that note. During the discussions here on HOP we talk mostly what you can do with your stick (and how to avoid hitting yourself too many times in the head). Only natural of course but we also have to consider how we move around ourselves.
This is where I feel personally that I lack the most. I can twirl my staff fast, slow, with my fingers, hands or even no hands and just let the staff roll around my body. I can do horizontal moves, vertical moves, throws, be hind my back thingys or even add another staff and then things get really messy.
However the number of different tricks no matter how hard still doesn't change the fact that I often feel like I'm just standing there doing trick after trick instead of actually flowing with the staff, allowing it carry me into a dance, motion or whatever.
I've seen some amzing firetwirlers doing magical performances with little else than figure 8's. My ex does the most beautiful corkscrew I have ever seen but then she has a few years of dance training as well.
Clearly it is important, not only how we move the staff but also how we move ourselves. Of course, our body movement is probably more individual than our staff moves but I still wonder what you guys do to improve that. Dance classes? Lots of drugs? Martial arts? Watching old michael Jackson videos?

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. --Mark Twain

Page: