Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > what do you do when one wick goes out?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
phuzzzmember
160 posts

Posted:
personally i just play with the remaining torch until it goes out doing sword forms and such...but i read spme where it is better to extinguish the remaining flameive also seem people just light it back up!just curious

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I usually blow it out and go refuel. Not sure if this is the best way. I just do it out of habit.

Meh

phuzzzmember
160 posts

Posted:
what if you use prety big wicks and blowing it out is imposable? even for an air head like me.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
How big is "pretty big"?

Meh

phuzzzmember
160 posts

Posted:
about football size(american) wrapped with cotton parrofin and kevlar. verry difficult to blow out sometimes one wick burns 5 minutess longer than the other.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
dunno how long your staff is, but another option is to use it like a club... change your grip so that your close to the unlit end and manipulate like clubs... This would be harder with a staff longer than a metre, but an option nevertheless!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
DangerBoy has a staff with only one wick and looks pretty effective just being spun around, cause u can hold it (like Flash said) a bit closer to the unlit end and wrap it around your body in ways that are a bit harder when both ends are lit.Ive also seen Josh, use doubles like clubs when one on each stick went out, looks excellent as well.

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Football sized wicks?!?! I don't think I could lift them once they were filled with fuel let along swing them about!?!

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

phuzzzmember
160 posts

Posted:
wimp. winkim using a i.3 meter staff and one m doubles snd were using my doubles as juggling torches. much fun. no flame yet.learned a new move with my big staff today and threw my back out. no work for me! (nospinning either frown )[This message has been edited by phuzzz (edited 10 December 2001).]

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Oops, hadn't noticed this thread for a while, (too much to do at the moment, as if that is an excuse tongue)When one wick goes out during a performance the other needs to be extinguished quickly or played on, so that it still looks professional.Usually, to get around this, I tend to dunk my staff while it's still going, and put them out on purpose later on. However, sometimes, one of them will just unexpectedly snuff itself.A great one for the crowd is to ask the to close their eyes (ONLY DO THIS IF YOU ARE VERY CONFIDENT YOU WILL NOT LET GO BY ACCIDENT). Then I hold the staff as close as possible to the smoking wick and slash the burning wick through the air a few inches in front of them. It makes this amazing WHOOSH noise and they often hear it go out as well.Another one is to dunk the going one so that it goes out, redunk the smoker (not with white gas or mixtures) and then relight.Either that, or pick up another staff, and light it off the lit wick, and prepare for a doubles section...That my 12c, (well it too long to be 2c isnt it).------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
erm - once you start on doubles, I think it becomes quite important to dip each wick for a set time, that way you can only be out by a couple of seconds.of course Sh!t happens, so normally I just blow the remaining one out, and throw that staff to one side, and then twirl single til one of the others goes out. Then I blow the last one out.I dont think you should continuously keep relighting without refuelling...Josh

phuzzzmember
160 posts

Posted:
okay this was weird as per usual iwas doind my daily 40 minnute burn and one wick went out after about 30 min.s i decided to just spinaround in circles like a little kid. while holding my staff horizontally in front of me i spun around really fast. my other wick magically lit up again! i think what happened is that my movement shot flame through the intereior of my staff(as it is hollow)and lit the other end back up. i heard a lightsabersound as it happened! or maybe the flames were so long on my lit wick that when i spun realy fast at the rite angle the flames licked the un lit one. but i dodn't think so. i wonder if you could do that on demand...

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
phuzz:oxygen....ever blow on cinders in a camp fire to help it get going again?

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

swiftythefireguymember
61 posts

Posted:
when spinnig for a large crowd and its very dark i position my self so that there is no one behind me and when i feel that im about burn out i slamm my staff to the ground and poof out go the lights . time to refuel and do it again hey does phuzz ever come to the mainland would be fun to jam

dont ever ask me whta time it is ?where are we? or are we there yet? because the time is now!we here !and we wil never be there !

phuzzzmember
160 posts

Posted:
yes phuzz duzzz. email??? name a place and time and we'll se what we can do!i rarely get the opertuninty to dance with people.

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Phuzz, I use another option rather than precise timing of wick dunks (which only works when your wicks wear at an exact rate for both ends and for both staffs) to help enable them go out at the same time.Usually when busking I have one lit one and one cold one and this makes gauging the burn times very difficult. I noticed a while ago that my right hand does moves faster than my left so when one staff is dying down, I do a neckwrap or throw to exchange hands to wear the other one out faster.Most of the time I can extinguish both at once if I'm keeping an eye on the flame size for each (although this does make the doubles harder for me, as when i think they try to bite me.Does that make sense?------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

jedimastahmember
97 posts

Posted:
I usually slam the staff down with the lit wick first. Doing this usually leaves a splatter of burning fuel. Then I quickly spin around and relight the other wick.

Mikemember
9 posts

Posted:
get a devil stick, and use your staff to spin it! You only want one end lit then!

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I usually do a move that is based on a chain whip technique. I hold the staff at the very end of the unlit side, I bring it up and let kind of wrap around my neck, then I start whiping it in circles as hard as I can in Kung fu style strikes. Some times it just doesn't want to go out, and I end up doing all kinds of weird BTB stuff to keep the momentum up.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.[This message has been edited by SickpuPpy (edited 07 January 2002).]

Jesus helps me trick people.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
take up and practice swordplay or other one-ended equipment.
develop your the single-ended fire toy technique into a deliberate, meaningful part of your routine.
consider staggering the lighting of your sticks: light one first, buildup into both lit, have some choreo for when/if one end extinguishes first. it means not having a double burn off, but hey, i was never a big fan of them.
b

ps (5 year bump way to go!)

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Look at the burning end...as if for the first time, then do a loving waltz as it it was a gorgeous girl...

Make sure to brush up on yourdancing skills... :-)

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
tango could be a bit dangerous though wink

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
ooh I like that one, Charles

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
one we use in our shows if the second end is close to finishing is to hold the staff like a golf club and swing like you are tee-ing off. the second end goes out and you look to the distance as if you struck a golf ball away biggrin looks very proffessional and like you were waiting for it to happen

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

splinterificGOLD Member
enthusiast
248 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mynci

one we use in our shows if the second end is close to finishing is to hold the staff like a golf club and swing like you are tee-ing off. the second end goes out and you look to the distance as if you struck a golf ball away biggrin looks very proffessional and like you were waiting for it to happen

now that i like biggrin

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
That sounds very cool. biggrin
Will make a change form what I do...

Notice -> Weep.

tongue

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
ubblol you'll be surprised how many people look for the fire flying away

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

cheezypsnookleSILVER Member
2 posts

Posted:
i made my staff out of aluminum boat paddles that seperated in the middle so when one wick went out i could just take off one side and do sword style
the problem was the clasp broke and sent one end flying...luckly it wasnt lit

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
I've got a really cheesy one that comes into the same catagory as drop lines.

"And this is my impression of the Statue Of Liberty"
(stand like the Statue of Libety for a few seconds then blow it out and refuel)

However i have managed to time my wick so that they go out at almost the same time so i don't get to use the line all that much (which is probably a good thing).

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Mynci...Am I ever having fun with that "golf" method of putting out the last wick. In fact since you posted it, I haven't been interested in anything BUT that.

As an added bonus, I've found out I can incorporate that cheesy ass wiggle that some golfers sometimes do.

Dwarf_starGOLD Member
"setting things on fire legally since 2004
7 posts

Posted:
Use a damp cloth as a smothering towel, the fire will go out instantly check out home of pois backyard spinners guide.
Remember all to have to do to put out a fire is remove the fuel, heat or the oxygen smothering with a damp cloth removes the oxygen just make sure it's not made of nylon.
Another option is to learn to firebreathe but it's really dangerous and should be taught by a professional and never alone.

happy spinning

Page: