Forums > Technical Discussion > How long is it safe to keep lit out lightstix?

Login/Join to Participate

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
I have made a pair of lightstick poi and I wonder if it is safe to keep the stick on the string for a while? I find spinning with them better and I'm also lazy to change them : o ) so... What do you say?

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Glowstick ingredients are nontoxic. The only thing you need to be careful for is the broken glass in the stick itself. I've played with the glowy stuff in a stick that was broken open and it was really fun for a while until I realized I had tiny shards of glass all over my hands. They actually didn't hurt me, but be careful.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
I'm actually trying to get my hands on the raw materials of Glowsticks, i can get Hydrogen Peroxide, now i need Phenyl Oxalate and Fluresent Dye. Any Ideas?

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
DarkDevil, I've said it before but the sad news is: The easiest and cheapest way to get chemicals for glowsticks is to crack open a bunch of glowsticks.

The individual chemicals are way more expensive and hard to find.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Then how do glowstick makers make a profit?

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
yea, really though, because i cracked open 2 tonight after the hole in one broke and i poured it into a water bottle and it was barely half a centimetre deep. I'm sure its roughly the same amount if not cheeper, and definately less pain in the ass, i just need to find a supplier...

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by frostypaw:
If they don't have "this lightstick will selfdestruct in 24 hours" written on it you're probably fine

you could check the packaging to see if the contents are toxic but they're usually not these days, they WILL stain clothing though if they leak/spray fluid everywhere mid-spin

Umm.. No selfdestruct sign... Only a sign saying "Light" : o )

I had a fair deal of staining at the party as my glowstick poi collided and one of the stix broke... It was rather stinky... But what got me most was this little girl I saw beating at her purse. I was like Whaa..? She tried to pour the glowstick chemical over her purse so it would glow... I still can´t understand how she could withstand the smell...

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.