mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
im using parafin (deck heater fuel) for my burns,and they are lasting about 5-6 mins, im fairlysurei cured my monkey fists properly, and i soak them before every burn and before they go away!

is there any way i can get a longer burn.....i heard mixing the fuel can get it to about 20mins!?!

later days

Step (el-nombrie)

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
5-6 mins of strong flame is a very respectable burn. I don't think you can improve on that too much by mixing fuels.

Try BIGGER heads.

Jo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Mtn. Girlmember
65 posts

Posted:
https://www.theatrefx.com/store/commerce.cgi

sells torch fuel that can last up to 10 minutes. It is mucho expensive, $65 for 32 ounces, not something you'd wanna use for practice. I need my fans to last 7-10 mins. for our performance, so it is definitely a must. I just placed my order, and I can give you feedback next week on the exact timing.

Hey Jo (on a side note)...the fire suit isn't safe btw. BUT, we are still going full force, having huge titanium angel wings made with devil horn head dresses, fans, and maybe wands attached to chaps. Should be quite the show!

The experience of learning is living.

nightsdarkchildmember
84 posts

Posted:
what you use for wick might have some thing to do with the shortness of the burn. try usinge other materails for your wick and see.

surrounded in flames
child

we could live beside the ocean leave the fire behind
swim out past the breakers watch the world die

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
The longest burns I ever got was with big cotton towel heads.

I think I used almost a full towel to make two heads- never timed them but they lasted a long time.

Usually towel wicks are only good for a couple of burns, but when you make them this size they seem to hold out a lot better, maybe ten burns.

The flames are so big you can't blow them out so I used a newspaper to extinguish them.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Mtn. Girlmember
65 posts

Posted:
Feedback on the Torch Fluid - don't waste your money. Hum, very disappointing! The bottle says that it's used for the Olympic Torch and to use with cotton. I used it on kevlar and here's the scoop:

1. Very very thick - so you figure that is costs about $20 per burn since it soaks up so much.

2. No black smoke, hardly any (good thing).

3. Burns good but then dies in about 2.5 mins.

4. Stinks really bad after the flames die out.

So, we did an experiment. Since each of my fans has 5 wicks, we put different fuels on each wick and timed the burn and "look" of each flame. Kero, white gas/torch fluid, lamp oil/torch fluid, etc. The BEST result was just plain white gas and lamp oil.

I have a feeling that the torch fluid may work better on cotton, obviously. But also, maybe made for extreme weather conditions - I guess when they run in the Olympics, they go thru rain, snow, wind, etc.

My 2 cents....or $65.00 experiment!

The experience of learning is living.

HeadSwimGOLD Member
...curiously lost
580 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Mechhead:
im using parafin (deck heater fuel) for my burns,and they are lasting about 5-6 mins, im fairlysurei cured my monkey fists properly, and i soak them before every burn and before they go away!

Hello Step my boy.....i believe that the monkey fist fire poi you mentioned are actually MY POI!!
and yes they are very definitly 'cured' properly like i told you!
Anyway now i've cleared that one up i'm off to bed....see you on Wednesday at the practice,
Laters Budgie aka HeadSwim! lol.

Nothing is easy.......until you can do it! biggrin