Forums > Technical Discussion > Snuffing Out your Wick in Kero

Login/Join to Participate

Pacifistmember
28 posts

Posted:
After a burn, if there's a lot of smoke coming off your wick, is it a good idea to dip it into kerosene right away in order to snuff out the smoldering kevlar?

It seems that this way, the wick will be preserved, and it will be recharged for your next burn.

Pacifist

Bzzzzz Blurb, Bzzzzzz Blurb, Fop pzzzzz, Fop Pazazzzz,

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
You're correct on all counts. Just don't do it with coleman and other similar fuels, or else...KABOOM!!@$^&% Well, you get the idea.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Yep it's a good idea. As NickC said, jus make sure it is pure kero or Solvent 3440.

another thing to note, is make sure the fuel is cold. If it warms up because of other's dipping hot poi into the fuel, or even leaving their poi in the container, then the flashpoint of kero goes up.

The hotter it is the more gas comes off it and the more likely it will light up.

This is, of course, a worst case scenario, but it good to take note of.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
And obviously don't dunk them in when they're still burning to put them out.

Ive known quite a few peole to do this and swear its safe. Due tot eh low flashpoint of paraffin it seems it usually is. But once in a while on a warm summers day you'll end up holding some fairly large fireballs.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I personally dislike the whole hot dunking thing. It increases the harmful fumes by a couple orders of magnitude.

Most people in Texas have their safety person wrap a damp towel around the wicks at the end of a burn to cool them off and save the kevlar or whatever (but mainly to cool off the hot metal) before returning the wicks to the fuel. Don't worry about the trivial amount of water spoiling your next burn. Besides, well seasoned wicks are virtually waterproof.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by vanize:
Most people in Texas have their safety person wrap a damp towel around the wicks at the end of a burn to cool them off and save the kevlar or whatever (but mainly to cool off the hot metal) before returning the wicks to the fuel. Don't worry about the trivial amount of water spoiling your next burn. Besides, well seasoned wicks are virtually waterproof.
It's what we do to. This is not only because of it being safest but also, if a fire marshal finds out you are dunking hot stuff in any fuel, there is usually hell to pay, in many areas.
The amount of variables involved in this type of situation is really too high for me to take the risk. In theory and even well monitored use, sure it works, but in the end is it worth the risk? Cool, damp towel then redunk. Same results, less issues.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Im just curious has anyone heard of a fuel dump with pure kero in it igniting when someone dumped extinguished but hot wicks in them? It seems unlikely to me considering the flash point of kerosene but I don't think anyone also have determined the maximum heat that poi heads can reach.

Pacifistmember
28 posts

Posted:
"pure kero or Solvent 3440"

I buy kerosene at a local gas station in Taiwan, so everything on the can is probably in different measures than what they have back home. I really don't know anything about the above two, though.

I'll be sure to check the can next time I buy one.

And the wet towel sounds like a really good precaution. I assume regular cotton works the best.

By the way, I burnt the sh#@ out of my hand the other day because my shirt caught on fire and it was synthetic. When I patted out the fire, melted synthetic material stuck to my hand and left quite a few big blisters.

That's the last time I wear that stuff when spinning. Cotton seems better. But I've also heard that hemp is good. Any opinions?

Pacifist

Bzzzzz Blurb, Bzzzzzz Blurb, Fop pzzzzz, Fop Pazazzzz,

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
Astar I have checked poi heads with a point and read thermometer but only with white gas (colemans )hightest reading I got was 650 degrees off of the metel washer on top of the wick and nothing over 525 degrees on the kevlar itself.. As far as a fuel dump going up anything is possible.I have found some great fuel cans aproved both by NPFA as well as OHSA
these things are great I tested it in my drive way with white gas in it just to make sure it did as it claimed I put about a pint of fuel in it and tossed a flaming poi into the bucket
closed the lid no bang no fire it was amazing

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Always always always wear natural material fabric when spinning - never synthetics.

I have to say I am amazed at how many people don't have a wet towel around for those minor mishaps. I've seen some pretty bad looking situations go to absolutely no worries in no time flat because someone was alert in the safety mode with a wet towel on hand.

No one wants to break out the fire extinguisher (you have one of those with you too when you spin, right?) for anything that doesn't look major, so the wet towel get used 99 times out of 100.

So then, for your own well being and the continued good reputation of your firely breathern, please make sure you have the following when you light up:

1. natural fiber cloths on (if any)
2. fire extingusher
3. wet towel or other fire smothering device.
4. a reasonably reliable person paying attention to safety.

it is also a good idea if you have long hair to wet it slightly and keep it tied up

I am always amazed at how much time is spent talking about which fuels are safe or unsafe when there is so little time spent on these more basic precautions. Rail against white gas all you like, but if you have the things above, it is far safer to use than using kero or parrafin without those things.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
I find putting things out with paraffin (kero) is safe, but wastes a lot of fuel. It all steams off when you dunk, and it amounts to quite a lot over a few burns. Also, if you are going to, don't do it in a plastic bucket! I stupidly made this mistake, and now I have a big bald patch on the lawn. Metal buckets only...

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Blackbird, that's really funny!

Vanize, you are exactly right! There's no excuse for doing fire without at least one fire extinguisher and damp towel (or fire blanket).

The more often we light up, the more likely somthing will go wrong, its just a matter of time really.

And if rudimentary safety equipment can stop a small accident from becoming a major disaster. Or even save someone's life! Not to mention the authorities will be alot nicer to you as well...

I've never had to use my fire extinguisher, ever, but it is stil the very first thing I pack when Itake my fire gear anywhere.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?