NothingsPerfectmember
79 posts

Posted:
Okay, so I ordered a pair of the 4" pure flame poi off of this site. I ordered them because they were cheap and I really didn't want to spin cathedral style (I have my reasons). So anyway I would like to use the wicks and convert them to dog chain and finger nooses instead of cable and regular loops. Here's my idea:

For anyone that doesn't have these or doesn't know how they are set up it goes like this--Finger loops, heavy duty split ring, brass swivel, cable loop, one of those bits of metal that secures two section of cable together (donut?), length of cable, another donut, 1" diameter metal washer (small hole in center for cable), thin aluminum tube with wick wrapped around, another metal washer dealie and a regular run o the mill split ring. The split ring on the end is through the loop of cable on the bottom of the wick. Because the wicks have such thin cores (which I like), I wanted to keep the cable assembly but ditch the cable. most of you might think, but here's the idea. I can replace the regular split rings with the heavy duty ones and attach chain to them. As for the nooses, I plan on making my own, possibly out of the finger loops I bought. I think if I just remove the stitching they'll work fine. Theoretically this plan works. The only true concern I have is when I cut the cable. Because I plan to spin the wicks upside-down from the way they were intended to I would need to snip the length of cable close to the second metal donut dealie. 1) I would need to make sure the end is not sharp or there could be some very grave accidents and 2) I'm not entirely sure whether or not that donut would be able to take all the velocity/momentum of the spinning poi. The way they are set up now the main force of spinning is absorbed by the second metal washer, because the loop of cable at the end is too big to pass through the hole in the washer. K, that took a lot longer than I thought it would, damn. I was just wondering if anyone could offer any insight into this issue (especially any structural engineers who know exactly how much those little metal pieces can hold). Thanks.

~And when the day arrives I'll become the sky, and I'll become the sea, and the sea will come to kiss me for I am going home. Nothing can stop me now.~

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
Those metal "donuts" they use to link pieces of steel cable together can withstand a ridiculous amount of weight (we're talking hundreds of pounds here).Being in the construction field I have used them in the past for such things as seismic hangers and hangers for small heaters and lighting.However,I still wouldn't trust them because of the fact they are being exposed to high temperatures.When they are brand new they are at their strongest but time and exposure to high temps will certainly break down their strength.Though I don't trust any of the quicklinks they sell here just because I'm a worry-wort.

We could give you the best ideas in the world but you have to be comfortable and feel safe with the set-up in the long run.

Why not have a loop on both ends?Would certainly make it easier if you ever decided you wanted multiple poi chains.Would also make the tail end much safer.In my experiences with steel cable,no matter how careful you are cutting it,it always leaves a sharp end.And if it starts fraying you are F**KED.

If you don't mind my asking why don't you like cathedral heads?

[ 03. February 2003, 00:12: Message edited by: poiaholic22 ]

NothingsPerfectmember
79 posts

Posted:
Well the reason I don't like cathedral is not because I find anything wrong with them but I wanted to start out with something similar to glowsticks (cylindrical) and I'm a broke college student. Damn money. So how exactly am I supposed to have a loop on both ends? If I leave the cable where it is then I can't spin from the other end cuz there will be a foot and a half of cable coming out the bottom of the wick. Maybe I should just buy a short length of steel cable to run through the tube and attatch whatever to the ends. Hmm...

~And when the day arrives I'll become the sky, and I'll become the sea, and the sea will come to kiss me for I am going home. Nothing can stop me now.~

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
You could always get another crimp fitting (donut) and make another loop on the end.If you are still in CT you should swing down to New Haven and I could show you how.From the way they look to me it should be relatively easy.

NothingsPerfectmember
79 posts

Posted:
Thanks man, I would totally stop by NH but I'm back in school now. Oh well, one week off in March so maybe I'll be able to make it then. Till then I'll be practicin like crazy!