alleykatmember
49 posts

Posted:
I have a question about constructing handles for fire poi: I know that when it comes to clothes for fire, synthetic = bad because it will melt. I would assume the same is true for the materials you make your handles out of, but I've seen nylon handles available, and they seem like a cheap, easy-to-make-at-home, vegetarian option. Are they a bad idea? I've tried canvas, but it wears out pretty quickly.

this little light of minei'm gonna let it shine...

LLcoolPatmember
38 posts

Posted:
I make my handles out of tubular nylon webbing with d-rings sewn in. The tubular stuff is made with more tightly woven material which also makes them stronger, more durable and more flame resistant.
I'm sure they could possibly melt to your skin but to get them that hot you'd have to be on fire anyway.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
I also went for nylon on my fire equipment, you don't need any dead animal to enjoy poi. With kerosene the flames on my poi never get anywhere near the handles, so i guess theres no problem there. I do have cotton straps on my practice poi, which i stole from a pair of my bondage trousers . I did get a pair of the nylon handles sold on this site today to replace the cotton ones, but they are no way near the quality of the ones on pure flame poi (sold on this site too). Comfort wise i think i'll stick to the cotton.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Alleykat, what a great question. My handles are converted tie down straps, and are synthetic indeed.... I know some HOPers use leather as an alternative... good question!

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
Nylon here only problem is if you drop your poi and the handle lands on the wick..and i have done that didnt hurt them but did singe them a little.. i use 1 inch strapping liek you would find on the handle of a duffle bag

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

alleykatmember
49 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the input, folks. Question for LL - is tubular webbing harder to find than the regular stuff? Is it the kind of thing I'll find at my local hardware store, or will I need to hit the outdoor specialty place? Is it expensive?
I'm gonna make handles this weekend, one way or the other, but I'd still be curious to hear more, especially from the safety gurus out there (are you there NYC? it's me, alleykat).

this little light of minei'm gonna let it shine...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
[I'm here! Check your private messages!]

Nylon works well. I wouldn't worry about them catching fire. Thin synthetic fabric like clothing is what really needs to be watched out for... Besides, if you're really getting fire near your straps you've got bigger problems.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
quote:
Besides, if you're really getting fire near your straps you've got bigger problems.
I dunno about that, NYC. I've seen firedancers use their harnesses as hand-guards when bouncing their wicks away on neck-wraps.

One thing about nylon is that it inevitably will be less comfortable. Deerhide may not be vegan-friendly, but it's the softest stuff there is.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
imho the nylon loops on the Pure Flame and Electroglo poiu sold on this site are as comfortable as leather straps I've tried on other people's poi. They seem to have something else woven in with them to make them softer (more silky) to the touch. The fyrefly nylon loops sold as parts here are however quite uncomfortable.

ZaphodBRONZE Member
23 posts

Posted:
I really, really dislike nylon handles. They give me blisters, and they wore out very quickly.

But, the wicks I use are very big. They are cathedral stacked using 5ft on each wick. So I think the weight of your wicks should determine what type of handles your considering using.

So I made some nice leather handles and haven't had to file a complaint with them yet.

DON'T PANIC

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
IMHO you will never beat leather for handles, get yourself along to a fabric seller and look for offcuts of leather

nylon is ok but there is always the time where your handles end up in the flame and nylon will melt.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
[Shrugs]

OK, I've never had any nylon melting problems but the blister thing is an excellent point.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]