Forums > Technical Discussion > Homemade LED with pressure switch?

Login/Join to Participate

iainmember
30 posts

Posted:
Wondering if anyone would have any good ideas on how best to make this. Check out www.globalls.com for Aerotechs version. Then look at the prices! Seems worth a little learning to me . . .

What I want is globalls that change colour on catch, so that would mean some sort of pressure sensitivity to make them change colours. I figure it would be damn cool on a devil stick too as the other colour would flash on a hit. ( Or in clubs. )

Thanks folks,
Iain

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
I don't know about pressure switches, but I had a electronics kit way back in the day that had a...well, I can't remember the name of the component, but it was a little thing whose resistance lessened in the presence of a magnet. they're cheap, I know that much. you could put magnets on your hands and use those if pressure switches are too expensive.

iainmember
30 posts

Posted:
That's an interesting idea paddy. Thanks. = )

Endermember
68 posts

Posted:
whoa. magnets? that could open up all types of new possibilities!

like you dont even have to touch it to change things, just wave ur hand.

or maybe have a partner that's "manipulating" the colors while you swing

iainmember
30 posts

Posted:
Check out radio battons, invented by Max Mathews. They are balls on sticks that send out info on their location in 3 dimensions so that music computers can use the 3 dimensional movement as control input. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before we see something similar mounted in props, or at least microcontrollers capable of radio communication with sequencers. I know people who have made midi controlled dancing robots, no reason that that control couldn't be replaced with radio. Bet it would be expensive though . . .

Iain

[ 27 September 2002, 16:30: Message edited by: Iain ]

Hecatonchiresmember
45 posts

Posted:
Momentary switches cost about 40c from your local jaycar. I've used them whenever I've made lightrings for myself or my friends - a bit more robust than using the arm of the led as a spring to touch the back of the battery. They are pretty small - 4mm*4mm*2mm. Mount the pin that is the contact so that pressure over an area sets it off. I use cut up aluminium can. Of course, u want something that switches colour whenever pressed, not turns on, so thats more a simple IC, and for that, I'm useless.

--Luke

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
lain, here's a serial experiment that is so simple that you'll hit yourself
/bangs head against keyboard
alshd;flkshg
oops too late.
anyhoo, you are looking for a momentary switch to set off changes in a lighting circuit, non?
preferably something that will withstand the wear of twirling?

well, from an experiment where i mixed several toy lightsabers with copious amounts of a compound called 'Vic Bitter', I have had the opportunity to open up said light toy.
the switch is in fact a metal cylinder enclosed -but not touching- a metal spring. both are connect to a wire. In certain conditions whereby the entire toy is sent impacting on friend's cranium, the spring deforms on impact momentarily and connects the circuit for an instant.
viola, a crude momentary impact/catch sensor.

hope this helps more than a hole in the head, and good luck in your serial experiments, lain!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

iainmember
30 posts

Posted:
Cool, thanks Bender.

Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)resident bagpiper
342 posts

Posted:
the red cross gives out toys(superballs) with this property in the u.s. you could probably get a couple and turn them into poi

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.

Hecatonchiresmember
45 posts

Posted:
Bender, I saw that anime quote. Received any emails from dead people lately?

--Luke

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
erm depends if they came from the internet

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always