gάrbǿ²addict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
Does anyone know where you can buy kevlar cheaper in bulk and how much

you need to buy to be able to get it cheaper .

cheer guys

[garbo]

[ 03 September 2002, 01:12: Message edited by: [garbo] ]

be excellent to each other: safe:

DeadManWalkin30member
25 posts

Posted:
DUBE, in new york u have to check there site i dont really know how much.

Fanaticus Incendi -Pyromaniac

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
another option is Renegade Juggling (also based in the US).... We bought bulk from them before and quite enjoy their product.

Or if you wanna be sneaky and take advantage of australia's weak dollar, check out Juggleart.com and see what their bulk prices are like.

or, if you want to do a search in Tech discussion that could bring up some UK options, type "dube" and search by user number 85. Bobrob has posted some links on a thread that may help you.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
www.dube.com

discounts at 100 feet (for the roll)

Overpriced for most stuff but cheap for kevlar and conveniently located just downtown from me.

Which, of course, means nothing for you.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
heh garbo long time no hear
hope ure well and groovy
u back in bristol now?
ive got a contact in bristol now 4 all fire toys and kevlar
im actually working on new toys with him
he designs and manufactures fire equipment and gets kevlar manufacturers 2 make up stuff 2 his requirements at muliple 100 km lengths!!!!
i get stuff off him at bulk/manufatureres prices
give me an email on robudda@yahoo.com

are u going to the bristol juggling convention cuz ill be selling stuff there and v. cheap, plus unusuall stuff like 25mm width ropepoi and various other "mad amount of fire" stuf!!!!
hope 2 c u soon

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

woodymember
99 posts

Posted:
multiple 100km lenghts? Pull the other one it has bells on it!

I am also in the market for a bulk amount of kevlar (seems everyone is these days...) I am trying to source it direct from the manufacturer, as this should cut out all the middle men.

Luv and Lemons.WoodyMrs Jaypher said, 'It's saferIf you've lemons in your head;First to eat, a pound of meat,And then to go at once to bed.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Hey woody,

can you let us know how you go with locating a manufacturer?

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
garbo, do you know the chaps atFyrefli?

I spoke to them the other day about a flaming skipping rope.

They are in Bristol and make the Kevlar rope themselves.

Magnus... pay it forward

gάrbǿ²addict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
Hey, I know the guys at fyrefli pretty well I bought my skipping rope

off him directly from his house. Lovely guy .
When is the bristol

juggling convention

[garbo]

be excellent to each other: safe:

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
I am seriously interesd=ted in the Bristol Juggling convention too so please start a thread as soon as we know when/where it is

Mark P

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
Garbo, get over to Bath one Monday night and show us how to skip with fire. Fyrefli should have received my order for a skipping rope by now...

Magnus... pay it forward

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
i got the impression a while back that more people prefer the qualities of the Renegade kevlar. of course each of us speaks out of the experience of which, if either, they try.

i also heard there are maybe 2 dozen factories around the world, though except for Renegade and Dube and HoP and a few other small sites, who has access is a question. apparently mainly used by those other pyros, the firefighters. . . to wrap hoses, etc. . . even had a rumor a young spinner in OrangeFire here could ask a dad to look up factories, but that's prolly just out of a directory coz dad works in some chem industry, and no follow up heard.

anyone ever: (1) got any closer than a standard specifically fire-spinning retail reseller including Renegade & Dube?

(2) know anywhere anymore bulk than Renegade & Dube, and are these the main sources for the other fire-spinning retailers?

of course props to Brian Dube for being an original in juggling, with torches preferred by many jugglers, and Renegade for being. . .well, renegades in his wake. . .

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
plus Dube's in NYC, Renegade's in Santa Cruz, California,

what do y'all do around the rest of the world? where do you go?

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

Vladmember
9 posts

Posted:
I started at the source: DuPont. They then sent me a list of companies and the applications that these companies make kevlar-related products for. I would suggest searching for "belting" and/or "tape" if you are Google-ing. "Tapes" seem to refer to something (often vastly) thinner than "belts," but both imply the same general shape.
100% Kevlar belting and tape is not hard to find. The "useful" hybrids/composites are harder to come across. I have not yet come across a hybrid sample I like. 100% Kevlar seems lovely so far, but it is twice as expensive as what many performers i know use now.
Keep in mind that very few of these companies have heard of using kevlar as wick, though some mentioned previous inquiries that broached the topic. A diligent person would probably need to order samples, test them, and learn some of the terminology associated with industrial fabrics. On the other hand, if you display great interest and hint that there is a growing market for such materials, they may be, in turn, be more helpful.

This link may help you some:
https://www.e-composites.com/commonfiles/fibres.asp

Good luck,
Vlad

[ 02 October 2002, 07:48: Message edited by: Vlad ]

How do you shoot the devil in the back? What if you miss?

rftekmember
101 posts

Posted:
hello all. i too am in mad search of bulk supply of kevlar, hoping to break that $1.50/ft barrier... here's what i found:
starting with dupont. as Vlad mentioned, they gave me a list of peoples to try. I ended up on the phone with Bally Ribbon Mills. They are a manufacturer of kevlar products. I talked to a salesperson there who said I needed to send them a couple inch sample of what I had so they could match to what they make. I haven't done so. here's the address and you can google them.

Bally Ribbon Mills
23 North Seventh St.
Bally, PA
I talked to Donna Swavely approx a month ago.

I fully intend to follow up on this... i just don't have any clean (non burned) samples to send them. Please let us know if anyone does this. peace

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
Vlad & rftek,

wow, impressive when someone does go deep into the source of anything. going to the sources of kevlar, among us, though, must be considered a sacred act of pursuing the Holy GrailI (if'll you'll excuse an icon from a particular religion & time because they threw lots of flaming stuff around then on arrows, with boiling oil down the castle walls, and danced merrily around indoor logfires & outdoor bonfires.)

asking for samples from you, huh, rftek? i guess if you were a big volume commercial customer, they'd offer to send you an assortment of samples from their lines instead (well, still ask for yours). funny! they're essentially offering to compare or match our common Dube, Renegade, etc. fabrics. btw, Tedward at Bearclaw Mfg always says how his hybrid wick poiheads, which he makes, are the sh*t, but is only known to have sold the raw tape to Riz, and when i asked him a couple months ago, think he said he didn't usually sell it as parts.

good luck, rftek, yeah, let's hear the big news if ya do break the $1.50 barrier, that would be quite a newsflash! & tell us if ya explore any other mills too.

hey, Vlad & rftek, can you post any list of mills you got, for curiosity? & if no one minds it being up here? besides many peeps here being interested in bulk purchases, i'm curious as hell to know where the few mills around the world are!

~ Mike

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
Magnus & [garbo],

thanx for mentionining Fyrefli, that place is new to me, i'll be adding it to our OrangeFire website's firetoy sources links soon, i've bookmarked the homepage & will check out the merchandise there in a few days.

if you've bought before, how did ya like their quality?

~ Mike

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

rftekmember
101 posts

Posted:
firemike:
hah, i didn't think about it from that direction. i wonder if i represented myself as a purchasing agent if they would send me some representative samples? The salesperson I spoke to said a 6" sample would be preferred. I attempted to give a accurate description of what i was seeking but she couldn't match up thataway.

What is the kevlar wicking we use consist of?

I've heard varying opinions on what besides kevlar is in there. fibreglass. cotton. it feels cottony but i would think the cotton would get burned away leaving the kevlar weave very visible. as my wicks have aged they gradually get burned away smaller and smaller, there's no separation of components. i ordered pure kevlar "tape" from https://www.fibreglasssupply.com,
it was very cheap. on the order of $1.00/yard for the pure kevlar. it's yellow in color, very thin 1/16", frays extremely easily. appears to be quite strong (when not fraying away like mad) and is a loose weave of this yellow tiny stranded thread. i made up some hybrid wicks (stuffed cotton into sewedup pockets of this stuff) but haven't burnt it yet. i use kevlar thread for sewing flag so i already had a spool or 3 sitting around. (https://www.mailordercentral.com/hookhack/departments.asp)

i was at a burning community party a few weeks ago when some people busted out their huge rolls of wicking while we were talking about kevlar products. cool.

incidentally, i'm curious if anyone else that's posted in this thread has gotten a unsolicited (friendly tho ) email from someone offering wicking?

this search for the fountain of cheap kevlar has been on my mind for a long time, somewhere here on the hard drive i have a adobe acrobat file that the guy at dupont sent me. he said that dupont only manufacturers the raw thread and they 2nd source all the finished kevlar products. that adobe file has contact info for a bunch of mills and such that dupont supplies to. if anyone wants it send me a email and i'll forward it on.

What do yall think the pricing on a 1000' 2" would be per foot?

peace

Vladmember
9 posts

Posted:
Someone else asked me for a sample, and I am trying to find out who it was. it could have been Bally Ribbon. Here is an email sent to me:

The company you need to contact is Atkins & Pierce Inc. They braid glass, Kevlar, and other fibers. They also specialize in making wicks. They are located in Covington, KY and the phone number is 859 356-2001.
Regards,
Mike

he's from a company called BGF. I talked to A&P and the person there seemed to not really know what i was talking about. If someone else wants to try their luck, please do.

This is the email from Atkins and Pierce:
Thank you for your e-mail. We do not produce the product you are looking
for, a hybrid kevlar/fiberglass. Do you have a sample product that we can
evaluate so we can determine if we can make ?

Stephanie Smith
A&P Technology

PH: (513)688-3212
FAX: (513)688-3201
ssmith@braider.com

Note that A&P, Inc. and A&P Technology are related but not that same. I was referred to "Technology" by A&P, Inc.

Vlad

[ 08 October 2002, 08:27: Message edited by: Vlad ]

swiftythefireguymember
61 posts

Posted:
i may be off topic a little but have found a fiberglass weave that work quite well. has anyone tried such stuff its quit cheap and lasts well i havent replaced them for over a year . does get a little itchy but not realy a bother cant say ive tried kevlar though cant seem to find it

anyways i thought i might add my 2 bits

if ye do findeth thee holy grail tell all thy gospel and stuff

cheers

dont ever ask me whta time it is ?where are we? or are we there yet? because the time is now!we here !and we wil never be there !

Vladmember
9 posts

Posted:
Swifty,

I don't like working with fiberglass, especially all by itself. I've worked with it a lot in various fields, especially construction (used for insulation, among other things). I tried out some vermiculite/fiberglass material and the itchiness brought back memories. If the stuff is getting on my skin, some of it is probably getting in my lungs.

Vlad

swiftythefireguymember
61 posts

Posted:
as mentioned before try woven roven or chop mat
there are a few other weaves that work better but these are cheap and can be found almost anywhere
try speacialty fiberglassing or autobody repair supply stores they may even have kevlar!

dont ever ask me whta time it is ?where are we? or are we there yet? because the time is now!we here !and we wil never be there !

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Oh Woody you of little faith!!
I have been working for the last 2 years with this guy from FyreFli and I now buy in bulk from him and get at distributers prices(ish!!)
If you ever need any stuff just givre me an emailYou shall see!!

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Robudda, I think Woody was talking about the 100km rolls of kevlar, which would take Hercules aircraft to try and transport around.

Perhaps you meant metres or feet instead of kilometres?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

FireMeccaBRONZE Member
69 posts

Posted:
Hi,

Flamma Aeterna is a firedancing group/business supplying and equipping individuals mostly in Phoenix and Tucson, though we are beginning to reach out to the other States. Please visit our web page if you are interested in various types of wick in bulk.

Flamma Aeterna

That which does not kill me, only makes me stranger.

ZZmember
1 post

Posted:
I am figuring you guys are all in places other than Australia and this is a bit of a late respose.
But I am in Brisbane and purchase 100% kevlar in bulk from a place called Merlin. I sell it on to people who ask me.

This could be good for those Brisbane folk who were recently told kevlar was restricted on some sort of an import level.

ok that all
ZZ.