Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Okay, I tried this last night and it works like a charm. Haven't heard of anyone doing this so I thought I'd share it.

If you have a videocamera and a VCR, hook it up through your VCR so you can see yourself on the TV screen. Then you can take a look at yourself as you do your poi. It's great for learning new stuff or tweaking ones you know. It gives you a whole new perspective of what it is you're doing. Great for BTB stuff, as you can actually see if your movements are the same as someone else's movements who you might have seen doing BTB somewhere.

I found it very different from recording yourself and then watching later. Because the feedback is instantaneous, your brain can form links between the feel of something and the look of it, whereas with watching a recording of yourself, your brain can't associate the feel of a movement with what it looks like when you do it.

ANyways, if you've got the stuff, give it a shot and let us all know if you also find the technique helpful.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
wowies what a brilliant idea! not only does the land of the red and white bestow us with X-force, X-files and X-Club, but technologically enhanced twirling!
it would be awesome to tape spectacular cock-ups to as you could enjoy them over and over like an old venereal infection!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I've got a window I can see my reflection in, which accomplishes about the same thing. The real problem is that, in order to watch myself with some moves, I need to be looking around in an unnatural way that interferes with the move. Plus, it can be distracting. Ooh, something shiny!

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

884 posts

Posted:
That's what nice about the camera thing...it lets you see yourself from any angle you like, so it's not at all unnatural. Great for BTB. I'd use my reflection too but the only window we have that's big enough costs about 10x as much as the old TV we have, and my parents are paranoid about breaking it. I've tried to explain that the chains can support hundreds of pounds but they're convinced that the ol' tennis balls will go a-flyin'.

THe cock ups are indeed spectacular. I had this one where I was kneeling to see myself do the overhead butterfly from the side. Suddenly the tennisballs collide and smack me in my face, and all you see is my head out the bottom of the screen. Brilliant stuff.

PS. Someone in Melbourne, please check in on Bender, his posts are becoming stranger by the hour. I think someone is contaminating his water supply with something. (speed?)

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Paddy:
I think someone is contaminating his water supply with something. (speed?) Oh and someone remind me that I owe him $5
a small little factette - tweaking actaully edges me toward that state that 'you' call 'sane.'

'sane' 'is' 'when' 'you' 'don't' 'concatenate' 'every' 'word' 'with' 'apostrophes'

'i' 'just' 'said' ''word''

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Sepamember
184 posts

Posted:
Yup, I swing in front of our patio door which is brilliant, although I can definately see the advantages of the TV set-up for btb work.

It wasn't until I had my brother watch me do a btb butterfly and give me feedback that I realised the ONLY reason I couldn't do it was because the poi were hitting the ground! If it wasn't for him watching me, I'd probably still be despairing of my ability to do btb work!

Am desperately hoping I get the btb weave sometime this week... am so close, and yet soooooo far away!

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I defintely agree with the instantaneous advantage, but combine that with actual recording as well and you have the best of both worlds!

There's this amazing juggler somewhere in the world who tapes ALL of his practice sessions.

It not only improves his skills immensely, but shows him what expressions he has when doing certain tricks, which make for a much better stage prescence too.

The fact that he looks like one of the most talented jugglers I've ever seen has absolutely nothing to do with the equation...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

884 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Bender:
I'm a complete nut!
The truth comes out.