Minoozemember
3 posts

Posted:
Hello,Im an amateur at this glowstick-twirling stuff (about 1 month) Being up in the great white north, im forced to practice indoors. This is making things very difficult, as i have very little room to maneuver (i just cracked myself in the face for the first time a few minutes ago... my right eye is watering like crazy). Can the experienced in the crowd gimme some tips for practiceing in the off-season while indoors? Are any of you in the same situation? My moves are way to limited because of the space. Thnx for the help------------------OH GOD THAT HURT!!!

OH GOD THAT HURT!!!

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
Use something soft, stay away from light bulbs and light fixtures, dont eat and spin you could choke, shorten your string, dont use fire, go slow until you got the move down, warn people that your spinning (unless you think its funny to see someone get whapped, and dont mind getting interupted for it) ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... I learned how to do most of my poi moves by choking up the string almost all the way to the ball in order to figure out the moves before I even spun the thing.. thats how I learned how to do the reverse weave.------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

utilitydeamonmember
33 posts

Posted:
Well, my suggestion for newbies is that you are the best teacher, no one can teach you better than yourself.Ive learned most of my tricks by just fooling around.Also, you NEED to flow. Flow makes buterflys hard, but it is very important that you flow. Otherwise, it just dosent look cool.------------------When they call for me ill be sitting at my desk with a gun in my hand wearin a bullet-proof vest singin my my my how the time does fly when you know your gonna die by the end of the night...sorry had to write that... aim:djpoiboy

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I actually don't find practicing indoors that bad, it really helps you hone your angles (they can't go flying about) and it helps to create a really distinct style. I met a girl once who could only practice in her kitchen on *really* short strings. When she went outside and spun on longer ones she had this amazing tight style that flowed beautifully with very little motion.My suggestion, shorten the strings a bit.I agree to practice with something soft too! Balled up socks work great!Good luck to you.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Bit of a catch 22 really. One way you can learn alot of moves is to practice kneeling upright. This way you won't hit your ceiling/chandelier/pet bats learning moves like the windmill, mexican wave, overhead butterfly, fountain etc. Unfortuately this can lead to a very static style of poi as you're used to not moving. Personally I'd avoid using very short poi as it can make it too hard as they are quicker but also you can get away with alot of un-tidyness. Like Pele said - indoors is great for really making your poi move in restricted planes but as long as you remember to move when you're outside.Just my tuppence worth.------------------https://welcome.to/thehugbubble The Mug Shot Gallery MSN Poi Community Words to memerise, words hypnotise, words make my mouth exercise.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude