shevamember
3 posts

Posted:
well, it is only the beginning but i was wondering... how can you play with poi if you have big pregnancy stomach? when i do triks now i am trying to avoid the poi touching my body, so what willl i do when i'll be big???(asuming i will be able to move at all....)

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
Take a break, or just do side and above the head movements.

May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Quick, CRD, Poz and Josh, stick a basketball under your shirt and see if we can't come up with a few preganant belly wraps...Out of a weave you should be able to pregnant bellywrap one poi into butterfly, no? winkHonestly though...1) CONGRATULATIONS!2) Stay away from fire fuel for a while. At least I would.Best wishes on a happy pregnancy and a beautiful baby (or three.)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
congrats!!our beautiful friend Finn is currently with-child and has been unable to do anything fire related since finding out she was gonna be a mama... the toxins from the fuels are just too well.....toxic!as for non-fire related poi, I guess she's the best one to offer advice; let me see if I can get her in this thread*off to email finn*------------------"she dances in a ring of fire and throws off the challenge with a shrug"

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Hi Sheva,Congratulations! What fantastic news. smileWell, as Flash said, my body is currently providing a safe haven for a rapidly growing, constantly wriggling, somersault performing critter. I'm now 30 weeks and on the home stretch. Yay! smileSo.... how have I managed to integrate pregnancy and poi/staff? Well, to be honest, it wasn't really a problem up until about 18/19 weeks. Up until that point my tummy really didn't get in the way too much. The only noticeable difference was the impact on my balance. Graceful is something you will most definately not be!As you probably know, your centre of gravity changes considerably when you're pregnant. As the uterus expands your centre of gravity is pushed higher (as are all of your organs). This impacts on your ability to turn, dance and um, be graceful - something which I always considered myself to be. frownOther people won't notice it as much as you will. To you it will be glaringly obvious, to others the effect will be more subtle.As you progress past the 20 week mark you'll start to really look and feel pregnant. You'll probably start to pop out and then.... your tummy will begin to get in the way. You'll begin to get very tired. You won't be able to poi (can I use poi as a verb?) for as long without a break. The balance thing will begin to be more noticeable. Using a staff will become impractical. It's difficult to keep those nice flat planes when you have a big bump protruding from your body!By 30 weeks.... I don't know. Unfortunately I'm experiencing what's called a high risk pregnancy and after being hospitalised for a little while, am now confined to bed. It's almost impossible to twirl whilst in bed. I have practiced with my clubs a few times but my heart just hasn't been in it! winkIf I was able to get out of bed, I think I'd still be able to twirl quite proficiently, it just wouldn't be with my usual style. I imagine my performance would be much more static - I would be restricted by my lack of balance, my big tummy and my frustration at not being able to groove with the music.Things to keep in mind....1. Forget about firedancing. The fuels we use are extemely toxic. You don't want to expose your unborn child to teratogens (substances that can cause birth defects) if you can possibly avoid it. This applies to watching people firedance too. Try to ensure that you are always upwind of whoever is twirling. This way you won't cop a lungful of fumes.2. Your body will produce a hormone called relaxin. It's purpose is to allow your ligaments and muscles to loosen up in preparation for childbirth. Unfortunately it will also allow you to injure yourself a lot more easily. Do not push your body too far. You have not suddenly become a lot more flexible... it's just the relaxin! You don't want to be pregnant AND nursing a painful injury.3. If you're anything like me (fire is the be all and end all) your motivation to twirl will be seriously affected. Because I have been unable to firedance and because twirling without fire doesn't hold the same attraction for me(it may not be this way for you) I have disengaged a lot more than I would have liked to. Be prepared for this to happen to you.hmmm... that's about all I can think of at the moment. If I think of anything else I'll post again.Oh... when I first became pregnant I remember talking to Pele. She firedanced and twirled throughout her pregnancy without any problems. I think she even performed. smileI guess ultimately it comes down to whatever you feel comfortable with. For me, falling pregnant was difficult. I had been trying for well over a year without luck. When it did happen, I wanted to do whatever I could to ensure that I didn't put my child or myself at risk. My pregnancy has always come first.Good luck Sheva.Love and Light,Finn smile

shevamember
3 posts

Posted:
thank you all. although i still donwt have a tummy, i'm filling a little strange while doing poi. my heart beats more and i'm getting tired sometimes after few minutes. strang.i thought about the belly rupping and it made me lough a lot. could be very uniq doing that while performing....well, sorry for all my spelling mistakes, and thanks again, especialy you finn- good luck and stay cool. it must be very dificult for you, luying in bed all day... but as you said- us and the little "thing" that inside are alway in first place!sheva

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Mazal Tov, Sheva !!!Another baby firedancer on the way, how wonderfull smileFinn, thoughts, smiles , sunshine and hugs to you.take good care smileShine on, you life giving Princesses !Cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"