Forums > Technical Discussion > Yellow and white fire photos...

Login/Join to Participate

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Hi guys. Sorry I haven't been posting that often, doing a lot more practice and really getting into doubles staffs at the moment...Anyway, on topic, I've just been looking at all of my firephotos and the photos on this site and noticed that all of mine are yellow.But heaps of other trails are white white white.As I only use pegasol 440 or kero, is the yellow because of the lower temperature of these fuels, and the white photos are 'white gases' like colemans or something?Or is it something else, I'd like to know as I'm maing up a portfolio at the moment to do some serious work-hunting next year...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
My guess is:A) Lamp oil is yellower flame than coleman fuel and such. Also, as you burn the flames die down and yellow.B) Exposure of the film. If you leave the lens open more you over expose the flame so it looks white. I'd use a lower f-stop (f4?) if you want white flames and a higher f-stop (f22?) if you want yellower ones.C) See my post on using a flash. It won't help your flames but it will make your photos look nice. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Thanks NYC.I've read your notes and suggest them to photographers quite frequently.The reason I was singling this out is that every single photo I've seen of me, taken by amatuers, professionals and others are all with a fairly deep yellow flame.There's every conceivable exposure time and flash/no flash and type of camera n' everything.I have to admit I'm more interested in being in front of the camera than behind it, but keep meaning to take moe photo's...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?