Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
so in the inundation of rain we have had the kevlar wicks on my fire fingers (which admittedly i dont use very often as of yet) got totally soaked because the bucket they were in outside leaked and got filled with water...long story. anyway, what's a good way to dry them out? my poi are fine, they were just dead towel anyway, but the kevlar is another story (and also the water did funky stuff to the latex coating on the finger wick handles!)it would be nice to just leave em in the sun for a few weeks but we just dont seem to be having any!floating away in connecticut...Pere

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Drip dry out of sun to avoid hard crustiness of latex, then back into the fuel for reconstitution. At least that's the best I can come up with! smile*tossing Pere a life preserver*REPULSE------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...This happened to my POI frown cuz I'm a lazy piece of crap! I performed at a wedding and then for a friend who I have a little crush on, then I got so preoccupied with flirting that I left my poi outside in an empty bucket... they got SOAKED. Erm... Pele, will you yell at me for this. They were big Kevlar stacks... I actually put them in fuel immediately and started doing burns again... at first the burns only lasted a few seconds, but three burns and a bunch of white gas later, they were dry and burning well again... but they're not as pretty as they used to be...

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Pere, i had that problem with my kevlar wicks too back at the ECSP and they burnt like shit. What I did was to let them soak entirely in fuel (coleman or lamp oil) for a whole week without using them. Then after a couple of burns they came back to life.Nomad

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
In my experience, if you have waterlogged wicks, about three days hung out to dry in the air will leave them bone-dry, if you have reasonably dry weather.I suppose one might try baking them at low temperature in a toaster oven, but one might not want to use the toaster after that.Pere--did the latex turn milky? I think that's just a cosmetic defect. Not sure how/if that can be resolved (I guess I could check the latex fetishist's FAQ or something [not that I'm into that {not that there's anything wrong with that}]).

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Why woud I yell Twist? My theory is whatever works for you. The idea behind drying them out is that you won't get that weak burn and such.Here's a question, while fuel doesn't really rust the metal as much as continuously scorch...do you think you should check your chains/metal parts for any possible rusting? I am thinking rust mixed with fuel corrosion would not be pretty after a bit of time. I dunno though, I am not a scientist.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
I definitely had that thought (rust) when I woke up the next morning in a downpour... but they're OK.Poi maintenance before flirting people, poi maintenance before flirting! *Melodramatic look* Is any romantic interest really worth the health of your equipment...Hehehe.. why yell smile Cuz what with the glue and all, I have this vision of really neat wicks in Pele's hands.... mine were big goopy poopy messes...See the thread I'm about to start on wick wrapping!

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
the latex turned all slimy and white, so yes milky i guess. plus there was fuel in the bucket so really it was a sort of fuel/water mix. you really had to see the rain we had to realize the magnitude of water we had here. i am a reasonably neat wrapper, dont do the whole glue thing, but im not the neatest or the messiest towel wrapper! Pere

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
ummmmm..this actually happens to me all the time (my poi get rained on) .... I always just soak em in more kero and use em like normal...haven't noticed anything thats made me think it was a big deal smile

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

Twirl'N'BurnBooojakasha
121 posts

Posted:
I practice near a pool and every so often my equipment goes in (the hard part is getting it out again). I just spin it off a few times, re-soak and then I burn with then again. NO PROBLEM

Simply an excuse to play with fire.