Page:
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Alright, so everyone I am certain knows of the tshirt competition, and that the proceeds are to go to an international gathering of spinners in NZ.What I was thinking is that it might be easiest for us to create this like a convention. Rent a venue with insurance for the three days. Have stages where people can spin and showcase. Have vendors with items available for sale or display. Have a general gathering area, etc. This way the cost can be defrayed by sponsorship, it will be easier to get airlines to discount tickets and hotels to discount rooms.Then on Saturday night we can have some honking big free spin ala Burning Man and such. I was thinking that since there is so many of these little BM things sprouting up all over that this might be a fun and different direction to go. We can also retire the relay equipment that weekend, and maybe kick off a new project?I know there are enough businesses that would be interested, what about everyone else? Would many of you be interested in attending anyway? Or is this ganna be small and intimate with us dieharders?Anyway, that is my .02 on the thing. Other ideas would be great!Also needed would be any NZ-ers interested in helping plan the thing when the time comes? And when should we start with this stuff anyway?Oh...and I was thinking November of 2003 since it is turning to sumer down under. Any other dates which might be more suitable?If need be I can start an egroup about this.....Thanks for any ideas and input!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Vegation barren? Hmmm (looks around him at the patches of jungle breaking through Auckland Central)I think that might be a problem to locate...Best bet is for a large park or something...But another fundraiser sounds great.Instead of comlicating it, why doesn't everyone just send me $20, and I'll keep it under my matress... grin------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
arts funding arts funding arts funding!CreativeNZ would surely give us a grant for this, especially as technically, it's bringing overseas artists to NZ (to the non-nzers here - when it comes to the arts, NZ seems to have an attitude that anything from overseas is better, cooler, more interesting than local stuff. stupid, I know, but hey). Also bars which have gaming machines will often donate mony (they have to give a certain amount of the takings from gambling back to community). City councils usually have arts budgets, and they'll especially give grants to events which will bring travellers (and their dollars) into the city. Carefully chosen sponsers could donate money or products in return for small credits on publicity material. (don't worry, I'm not suggesting we have the McDonalds-Starbucks-Fire-Festival or anything, ugh!)Anyways, my point was that with a little effort it's surprisingly easy to get a whole bunch of money for free, provided you have a good cause and are good at selling it to people smile You're the marketing boy, Charles, go do marketing stuff! wink tonguex

the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....

melissaBRONZE Member
156 posts

Posted:
hmmm...what about asking coleman fuel to be one of our sponsors and in exchange for publicity we all get free fuel...

earthdreamermember
116 posts

Posted:
wow, this is really amazing...this is going to be the first of many cyberfire gatherings..i know it...thank you thank you, i am looking forward to this...everything is as it should be and it will all fall into place perfectly, there is a lot of incredible energy surrounding this Pele...much love to you all, Holly

earthdreamermember
116 posts

Posted:
wow, this is really amazing...this is going to be the first of many cyberfire gatherings..i know it...thank you thank you, i am looking forward to this...everything is as it should be and it will all fall into place perfectly, there is a lot of incredible energy surrounding this Pele...much love to you all, Holly

eturn80member
15 posts

Posted:
Hey i'm, just coming in to all this fresh of the net, but i read most of the two pages, and i gotta say i'm impresed. How long has the string been going for? I'm not the most reliable person in the world, but if uni works out, and i can take off for the weekend, Well then Hallo Convention! winkPelle> If it's not toomuch trouble could i get a point form version of the plan so far? I'd apreciate it! grin Flames from Eturn80

PsylentzSILVER Member
72 posts

Posted:
this sounds like a good idea... it's in advance enough... what would be a REALLY good idea is all of us westerners got together for a big group rate on the planes and such... europeans as well for all of you in the UK group travel rates... we'd save money if we met up and left from one location centered to all of us... and for all of you in new zealand...PBTHHHHHHH ::big dumb face:: ;-)------------------~ Tiger, Tiger, burning bright... ~

"The Q is talkin' to me!!!"

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
OTay....We are actually going to be combining two events in one...a Home of Poi gathering and the convention. Plans are this so far.....Feb 2003 in the fair city of Auckland, New Zealand.We will be planning touristy type things for Weds and Thurs for those who wish to arrive early and bond.Fri we will be having the HoP thing. What we are aiming to do is an all day party thing with games, contests, food and fun. This is where any and all will be able to spin and just meet up and have a good time. This is for HoP people and their friends.The convention is Sat and Sun. This will have boothes for vendors and such, workshoppes, contests, games, a performance stage and a couple of exhibition stages (only the performers on the performance stage will get to use fire due to liability issues). This will be for the general public and will just be full o' good stuff.At night on Sat and Sun we are going to try to organize themed parties, such as a tribal party and a futuristic techno, or something of the like.There is no defintative plan yet due to the distance away it is, but things are becomming more solidified slowly. We will keep you posted. Also I was planning on checking to see if those of us US-ers could get cheaper..convention.. rates for both lodging and travel in the spring. I will let you all know what I come up with. Could you imagine a 747 full of HoP-pers?? shocked The poor flight staff! *giggle* Let alone a hotel full of us!!!!!Anyway, active members on the committee currently are Adam Rice, Cassandra, Robert Michael, Malcolm, Charles and myself. We are also inviting Xaeda. We seem to be doing pretty well and keeping things in good order.Pele's Whipping Boy has offered to make the website for this, and he already has some amazing ideas for it. Once we get a logo that will be started and you will be able to check all updates and information on there!Anyway, that would be the update...more to come in the future!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Sounds great Pele!

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

phuzzzmember
160 posts

Posted:
well the first time i read this trhead i thought that we were talking about this comming feb. (don't ask me i was probably stoned) so i got all excited and started figuring out my travel plans even got so far as to haul out my backback in preparation. well now it looks like i have a whole year to wait! sigh..... looks all dissapointed.but wait i'll be so good by then! so will you all! mooaahhahahahahaaaaaa! what fun! okay i don't care if im a year early. im comming in february 2002. like it or not. i'll see all you southern kids really soon. maybe i could organize a "phuzzz just wants to meet beautiful newzealanders and spin lots convention 2002" im serious.i would like to be involved any way i can. organizing isn't my strong point. but brainstorming is. pele could you please e-mail me regarding how i can help?xaeda... could you tell me more about the juggler's ball? pleeeeeeeeeeaase?anti_human@yahoo.com[This message has been edited by phuzzz (edited 12 December 2001).]

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I'd sooooo love to go but there's no way I could afford it.But - try https://www.cheapflights.co.uk
for discount prices from the UK. The earlier you book, the cheaper it is.I found £549 return fare...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
Do us ozzies need a passport? I vaguely remember hearing that at times in the past we didn't and that NZ was at 1 stage going to become a state of oz, hence not needing a passport.------------------Everything possible to be believed, is an image of truth. (william Blake).

Trying to play the Akashic records,
but my turntables not compatible.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Erm durbs. If you check back through the posts from early september there is one from pele that says
quote:
This was sent to me via email by James."I'm not going to bother posting this on the site as several of my messages haven't made it to the light of day. . . .almost as if they've been moderated . . . .hmmmm .. . .Anyway, there seems to be some consternation over prices of flights from England and northern europe. Well i've found a reasonably good site for cheap flights from Britain https://www.cheapflights.co.uk/
Thought it might be useful."
Just thought you should know grinOh and that James in the message (BTW) is me grin tongue grin

Meh

dizzymember
43 posts

Posted:
You can count me in smile

foobaaspinning for ages
125 posts

Posted:
Hmmm devoid of vegetation....no fire risk....Umm only place remotely close to Auckland like this would have to be on the top of Ruapehu or one of the other volcanoes....and I must say that it is a bit of a hike to get to the top!!! Although having a steaming crater as a backdrop would be pretty damn neat!! Problem is we would probably excite the Volcano gods and they would want to join in with their own fire works!!Well where ever it is count me in. I am all for Chch, or Nelson (ie where the Gathering is held, 3 day outdoor dance party!!) and I have lived all over nz, so that is a balanced view, but from transport considerations Auckland is the easiest. Anyone know what price a ticket back from Bolivia will cost me??------------------fe fi foo fun[This message has been edited by foobaa (edited 20 December 2001).]

fe fi foo fun

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
I am most definitely 100% in, no matter where it is, or when it is. But, February 2003 in New Zealand is perfect. How long will the gathering be though? I mean, getting together all over the world, traveling soooo many miles, and a sizable plane fare... Im sure NZ has quite a lot of area to romp around in and explore. Will probably end up getting into loads of fun no matter what. I was checking prices of things in NZ, and it really doesnt sound all that cheap; maybe if you are in England or something. A liter of gas is 90 cents (USD) and there are 3+ liters in a gallon. Thats a good bit o'money. Maybe this website that I was checking is gonzo though. I look forward to meeting you all! 13 1/2 months (and counting) grin

Wow

NiceOneBrotherBRONZE Member
2 posts

Posted:
This all sounds great ! Just found this web site but will be checking it out everyday !! Pete,If you need help with anything count me in ! Docking bay 94 will help too (12 London dj's with great nights over in london) they need a excuse to get over here.give us an e-mail !! grin------------------Keep It RealCap Keel

***** Burn Baby .. Burn*********************************

earthdreamermember
116 posts

Posted:
Pele, do you as yet have exact dates??i know its Februray 2003...but what days...i don't wanna miss it!!!!thanks beautifulDreamerxx

DocLiquidmember
97 posts

Posted:
I'll definitely try to make. So get the exact details and keep us posted. It would be awesome to finally have everyone together at the same venue.PLUHRDOC------------------Let us Light up the Night

Let us Light up the Night

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
I think it would be wonderful!!unfortunatly i dont know anybody/ anything in new zealand. the place needs to be simple to find.. Also the camping bit. There must be camping otherwise i have no clue where im going to stay... hotels arent anyfun by yourself!... and there should be a H.O.P meeting tent.. just cause.. i dont know any body ;( perhaps malcom could sell poi stuff there? ( just an idea dont eat my throat) smileconveiniantly i was going to new zealand/ australia and surrounding countries in 2003 so its the perfect excuse..if anyone needs things done by a canadian counter part consider me the one !!! smile------------------A Faeries Heart Beats Fierce and Free!!!!!

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Just when I fancied a touch of throat eating as well...

Meh

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I'm going to have to start saving. If I'm going all the way to NZ, there's no way I'm staying for less than a month, there's so much stuff I need to do out there.Thinking about plane prices, if a significant number of people from england are going, we might be able to argue enough to get a discount out of them if they're all booked together. I'll look into it if enough people are interested.On a slightly related note, for those of you who know the song "It's A Long Way To Tipperary", just off the south east coast of NZ is the furthest point from Tipperary, making it the longest way to Tipperary from anywhere on the planet. Getting there is just one of the things I need to do when I'm in NZ.Oh and yes, I do have too much free time.------------------Bovril - It's liquid cow y'know

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Ajaymember
158 posts

Posted:
me "mum can i go to nz, half way round the world to play with fire witha bunch of people i have only met on the internet"my mum "no, not unless your paying for it"i love my mum smile, i better start saving, it will take me a year to save up!btw, pwb - i have an interest in web design and would love to help you with the site, email me @ albert___@hotmail.com

One fine day in the middle of the night,
Two dead men got up to fight,
Back to back they faced each other,
Drew there swords and Shot each other.

Ajaymember
158 posts

Posted:
ok, a couple of questions to who can answer them:Whats the situation with the camping, is there going to be any, would it cost any money, if there isn't going to be what other *cheap* acomadation is there close by and how much would that cost?whats happening with the juggling convention, is it going to be soon before or after, are flights more expencive if u stay longer?

One fine day in the middle of the night,
Two dead men got up to fight,
Back to back they faced each other,
Drew there swords and Shot each other.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Cap Keel...:I am still giggling: My name is PeLe, with and "L" not a "t". I am a girl and no offense to the name Pete but it isn't very femmish! winkAnyway, email with what you have about the DJ's and such.Ajay...flights tend to be the same price round trip. We are setting this up so that the Juggling Convention will (hopefully) be soon after. I don't know how much camping will be available in Auckland, nor how much getting gear there would be. We will have people look into all different kinds of accomodations, and possibly discounts, though and will keep you posted. Once we get closer to the date you might want to check into buddying up with someone, or a few someone's to split the cost on a place as well. And what a better way to get to know someone?My advice, and also what I am doing, save as much $ as you can, that way you won't get caught short. Oh...and the tentative "schedule", for those who wanted to know how long this will be, is that we hope to be able to provide oppotunities for touristy and "bonding" stuff as early as the Weds and Thurs before the convention. The "official" HoP gathering will be Fri, the convention will be Sat and Sun but we hope to provide a place to spin and hang and such Sat and Sun night as well. This give the public a chance to go to the convention and the HoPpers a chance to meet.As for me, if all goes as I hope, I want to be in Auckland for the convention week, wherever the juggling convention is for that week (though I can't juggle for beans) then I am hoping to hop over to Melbourne for a week and then to Sydney for a week and then sleep the 17 hour flight home! At least that is my dream! grin------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

seayamember
3 posts

Posted:
I am mega excited about this trip, as are other Baltimore fire folk. I have to start saving now. For real. Any chance we could spin fire in the Shire? tee heeTake a trip to Wellington area?I was thinking I could put some Lord of the Rings tourism in there heh.Anyhow I'm sure by that point I'll know anough tricks to look halfway decent. Right now I can just express myself to a song, but need more tricks.Your plans sound great. Hopefully some deals can be found for poor poor east coast Americans.Bitten by the poi bug hard core,Leah

Ranunculusmember
8 posts

Posted:
I'm all for a convention in New Zealand (what, me biased? OK, maybe a bit) but what about travelling with fire equipment? I had a few friends travelling overseas and they weren't allowed to take any equipment (especially wicking) that had been burnt with them (the authorities were pretty stroppy about this). Probably even worse since Sep 11. Another friend bought a brand new staff with clean wicks, this was allowed but alas the #*@!wits at the airport put it on the luggage conveyor which duly jammed resulting in repairs to the conveyor and (worst of all) a snapped staff (sob). How does the relay equipment get around?Always grinning when I'm spinning'cause there's no losing or winning

melissaBRONZE Member
156 posts

Posted:
hey i have a far off in the future under ideal surcomstances with excited people idea that might be cool --->if it all goes well how about having future gatherings in other ring of fire pacific ocean locations (like hawaii, west coast us, thailand, alaska, etc...). right now i am on the big island of hawaii and it is unbelievably inspiring to see lava and to be in an area that is so connected to fire.

phuzzzmember
160 posts

Posted:
Ranunculus i have thought long and hard about this... ihave many MANY fire toys to bring with me to the gathering and have concluded that i will post them air mail. with no wicking. only problem is i know no one in nz that will accept them for me. and i cant just go sending them to any one rolleyes. Here's a question.... did someone mention convention???complete with booths and vendors and crud???who should i talkto here???i might sell/trade some of my precious inventions....

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Since the convention is my baby, that would be me phuzzz. Yup convention, booths and all.The relay gear gets around by being passed hand to hand so that people can meet.Travel with gear...I am still trying to figure out how that staff got stuck and snapped. shocked If it were in one of those platic transport tubes it shouldn't have done it. I think many of us are going to have to have new wicks. For the US-ers, I am going to work and see if I can get a travel agent (prolly AAA since they are nationwide) to help with this, which would also require my talking to airport security and getting special permits, as one would for a special pet. I know it will be easier for professionals than hobbyists to get them through, but other than that the info will be gotten in time.Melissa, if this is successful then we were hoping ot have future conventions more where people are located, instead of fire based. I agree it is an amazing idea, and I would love to do that myself someday but I thik being around everyone will be inspiration enough...and...we want to keep it located where we have someone at ground zero to help in the planning. Which would mean someplace like London or US are our most likely next destinations, but let's get this one out of the way first. Shall we?Much happiness in the next year!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

Page: