AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hi there, I've read the previous BM topics and I've decided to go this year. All I need to know is.... everything you can possibly tell me about it!first of all, does anyone have any of the cheaper tickets spare (I need 2) coz I'm broke :-)what's the easiest way to get there?Where can you get the cheapest flights from England to the US from?What shall I take (I want to travel as light as possible)?If me and my mate brought some records would there be somwhere we could play them?Is there anyone else traveling there from England? (of course there is - but who?)cheers in advance peeps and see you all there.Jo.

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
Yaaaaaay Jo!!!First, have you been to:www.burningman.comyet? Go there if you haven't!In no particular order:1. The easist way to get there would be for you to fly into Reno, Nevada. Black Rock City is only a few hours from there.2. TONS of people bring DJ equipment to the Man... I've seen better "nightclubs" in the desert than ones that get to live in real permanent buildings. If you want to "play your own" that would, of course, require a generator and tables... but I'm sure you vould talk someone into letting you play some tunes.3. If I knew where to get cheaper tickets I would be getting them. smile I payed 185 for mine.4. Be sure to read up on all the stuff you need to bring to... y'know... not die.Congratulations! The Man is unfooooooorgetaaable..... see you there...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
A few other pieces of advice:1) Bring about 100 glowsticks. It is not possible to have too many. They're great for barter, for play, and remember that the playa is unlit, so you should be wearing one around your neck so that you don't get bumped into.2) I am most likely going, but if it turns out I can't go (and I would discover this in the last 2-3 weeks before it starts), I could sell you mine for US$175, which is what I paid for it. If you want, give me your E-mail and I'll let you know if I can't make it. Can't help you with the second ticket.3) Bring a solar shower thing. Lots of people get laid at Burning Man, and the last you want is to be self-conscious on the night of the Burn because you haven't showered in six days! 4) Go with a REALLY open mind. It isn't just a big outdoor rave.5) Clean up after yourself, piss clear, and don't be a spectator.6) HAVE FUN! It's almost impossible not to.-------------------MikeCertified Mad Doctor (in training)

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
Water is more expensive that alcohol.peace outgarbo tongue------------------
quote:
"Be the change"Mahatma Ghandi

be excellent to each other: safe:

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey Jo,Ill be there, and I'd love to hook up for a spin.how to get there? flying into reno is the easy part...try to arrange car rental NOW or else there wont be any. My gf and I are hoping to buy a van, but I think there wont be any space in it (two other friends to carry)...for you :/ sorry dude.um - what else? mmm you will need HEAPS of water. as in HEAPS. NOTHING is for sale for money, you need to barter....the website previously mentioned is an amazing resource.I paid $185 for my tickets...Josh

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Hi Jo,I'll be there too and would love to meet with you (and anyone else on this board) to spin. Who knows, maybe next year we'll have a "home of poi" camp smileIf you're coming from england, i'd say the best way is to fly to SF and rent a big car/van there. Make a stop in Reno and buy all food/water there. Count at least 1 gallon per person per day. For general guidelines, i'd say go by the "first timers" guide on the BM website. If you have one (or more), bring a drum. Flashligts, glowsticks, filtering mask, googles, candy (good to barter), cereal bars, tea, gatorade, are the only items i can come up with right now. I got my tix for $145, i was an early bird. If you volonteer for some of the positions BM offers (like working at the cafe or being a lamplighter) or get into the fire conclave, i think you can get discounts or even get in for free. Josh, when are you leaving from Oz?Anybody from this board in the fire conclave?I'm trying to get in but all the "auditions" are on the west coast so i have to send a video...and i don't have one. Sucks...nomad

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey Nomad,I think our current plan is to come over a couple of weeks early, and buy a cheap Van (any idea on the cost of a cheap Van?) which we will drive to Fusion Festival (big Trance thing outside of SF) and then to BM (if all goes to plan!). WE will then drive all over the place tracking down as many HOP'ers as possible in the 6 remaining weeks of our holiday, at the end of which we will sell our van and return home.so yeah - in answer to your question, we will be getting to SF a couple of weeks before BM. smilegetting excited!!woohoo! smile)Josh

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
Josh:on buying a van when you're from australia...my professor/advisor/friend came over last year from oz for 6 months and his intention was to buy a van to travel in...well needless to say it was a drama because he did not properly do the research on what he needed to do in order to own such a thing, and since i flew out to meet him I ended up helping out with the whole buying/insurance nightmare.the problems were: A. the shady guy he bought it from sold it to him without his having insurance first. this meant that he was driving the car around unregistered and illegally.B. getting insurance is mandatory and tricky if you are from another country. triple A (equivalent of NRMA) where we tried first would not do it. we finally did get him insurance from GEICO however:C. he needed to have a valid USA drivers licence. international licence/ NSW licence did not count. so he had to go and take the test, written and driving, to get this. in california i imagine you'd need to set this up in advance.D. you need to have some sort of physical address in the US where they can send you mail, and which you can say is where the car will live most of the time, in the state in which you are registering the car (dont pick a high car theft area). a PO box does not cut it. we ended up giving the address of the hotel we were staying at and then setting up a post-office mail forwarding to my parents house...they collected all his mail for him so when he got to this side of the country we had it for him. he bought a big whopping dodge van converted for camping for $3000 US, however after we had a week of doing all the above red tape stuff which did cost quite a bit, we drove it up a mountain and killed the transmission another $1000 frown then we drove it from phoenix to sandiego and killed the transmission again! within a week though so the warranty was still good but still, nightmare vacation from hell there. we did all the registering in arizona because california i think is the most expensive state in the country to own a car...not to mention an older one which might not pass their emission standards. so you might seriously consider buying the car someplace else like nevada. and it also really helps to have contacts here who can help with the address thing though no doubt people here can help out with that. be sure to check out whatever lonely planet says about car buying in the US, they might have better travelers contacts for the camping type vans than my advisor did and more detailed information on registering them.(ps...bought my first car in Sydney....i miss my noofle! so much more friendly!)Pere

kmactanemember
97 posts

Posted:
Like Twist said, hit www.burningman.com , and read the entire "Survival Guide" section. That right there will give you some idea of what you're getting into.Do not expect that you can get everything you're going to need onto a commercial airplane flight. (Which means, assume you're going to have to buy/rent a whole pile of stuff on this side of the Pond, before you head out to the desert.)Good luck!

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
Ok....I don't mean to be a pain in the ass... would it be possible to somehow get a static posting of:1. Who is going to the Man from this board.2. Where they are travelling from.3. Any needs/assistance they may require.I'm mildly religious about Burningman and would like to help people get there in whatever ways are possible... in all honesty, I would love to make a trip down to San Fran a few days early and meet up with some people for some pre-burn burns...Whee...

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Ok, cheers for the advise everyone. I've read up on it now.The problem is that I'm 20 - not old enough to hire a vehicle. I could fly to San Fran or Reno as suggested but then I would have no way of getting there (I've bought the damn ticket now as well! :-)If anyone knows any way of getting there without vehicle rental please please let me know. I will be your slave (non sexual of course :-) for the entire BM if anyone can get me and my friend I'll be with to BM from San Fran or Reno.Please...?please please please please....?love you all.I thing we should all arrange a meeting point too - it would be nice to have faces to associate with your aliases.Jo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Jo, check out the BM website, i think there is some kind of newsgroup (maybe on what they call e-playa) where people talk about sharing rides and stuff. Nomad

edlomember
21 posts

Posted:
Jo,Check www.craigslist.comIt's an excellent San Francisco resource. I've found a place to live, purchased turntables and also got a ride up to Burning Man through this site. You can probably post a msg on the Activity section. ------------------
quote:
Embrace and perpetuate constant change

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hmmm...Firstly, thankyou so much Pere, for that sound advise. The weird thing is, that I heard the *only* way to see the US is by buying a car and touring...hmmm....well hopefully we can afford a rental for 8 weeks (OUCH).um - are there any online resources for planning Bus tickets and or stuff like that? not tours, but interstaters or whatever you call em smile We have greyhound and a couple of other companies that cruise all over the place in Aus...I vote that we have another discussion titled Burning Man (it can go alongside Intercontinental spin relay), do i get a second?Josh

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
well yeah you do kind of need a car to see stuff. just that here you have to do some beforehand planning to buy the car if you want the transaction to go quickly and happily instead of agonizingly evil like the above story smile since you are not internetphobic (like someone i know) you can check out www.cars.com which can at least point you in the direction of what kind of van thing and about how much they cost and i think you can even find used cars to buy on there. it may even be that youth hostels here have car selling/buying boards like they do in australia, only thing is there aren't youth hostel type places all over here like there and a lot fewer budget travelers (or at least, they are spread all over the place) But i have never tried to do the car buying thing here except for buying a real car which doesnt count smileoh yeah and the other thing i forgot to say was we had to rent a car for one day for him to take the driving test in smile but that was for arizona, who knows what they do in california or nevada. i mean, look how easy it is to get married in vegas. surely it must be easy to get a drivers licence! anyway, word is still out whether or not i am going to BM or not. may pair it up with a trip to australia right after..who knows...Pere"rubber duckie, joy of joys, when i squeeze you, you make noise...."

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Josh, i support that idea and am starting a topic right now under "events, gatherings...". I think it's more appropriate than the relay.See you there!Nomad

Dr.NoodleHeadBRONZE Member
170 posts

Posted:
rubber duckie, joy of joyyou are my very favourite toy grinNoods

Fish are just like trees except they move and they're invisible

Fire Punkmember
18 posts

Posted:
My fire group is going to Burning Man this year. Crimson will be coming into Reno sometime in August for our audition to burn around the man. Anywho...we'll be registered under Controlled Burn, so look us up! My friends and I MIGHT have an extra space...but I'm not sure right now. Fire Punk)^(

Tikimember
44 posts

Posted:
The more I read about Burning Man, the more I want to find some way of attending. Sadly I doubt that will be possible frown

1. CAUTION: Knife is very sharp. Keep out of children
2. A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.
3. Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn.