Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Wrap Theory...... Theres millions of them!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo,

I have been getting severly into wrap combos recently, and I thought id share what ive learnt. The aim here is for wrap combinations where the poi swing no more than 360 before recoiling.

************ WARNING! what follows is very long and highly technical! *************

so, to make matters simpler, i will deal only with arm wraps and leg wraps. All thease wraps are recoil wraps and work best with glowsticks.

Basic theory.

for each arm/leg there are thease diffrent wraps to combine:

hand on the same side as the wrap: top and bottom wrapping from the front. thease can be done with the hand being either horisontal from the arm or verticaly down (of course you can be vertically up aswell, and probibly horisontally behind but the latter is awkward and the former dosnt apply to the second section, therfore im ignoring them.

hand to opposite arm: there are top and bottom wraps from the front and the same again but from the back.

Wall plane hand to opposite side: top and bottom recoil from the front and top and bottom at the front of the body from waist wrap aswell as top and bottom behind the body in wall plane. For the legs you can wrap either top and bottom wall plane at the front or top and bottom of the ankle at the back.

thats the easy bit...

Combination Theory.

* I am using mainly arms for thease examples, but remeber that they can be mixed up with legs too, and any other places you can think of. *

In combination you have three elements, wrap timing, spin timing and turning.

Wrap timing: a wrap can either be accomplished every 360 degrees ie. going from top of the arm same side to bottom of the same side, or every 180 degrees (refered to in this post as click-clack wraping) eg. from top same arm wall plane to top opposite arm wall plane.

Spin timing is as usual, we have paralell time (both poi in the same direction at the same time) weave time (both poi in same direction but spinning opposite each other) butterfly time (poi spinning opposite directions meeting at top and bottom) and split time (poi spinning in opposite directions meeting at the sides).

Turning is the hard bit, and we will come onto that later.

Wrap weave:

a nice little combo and a good starting place for anything. its kinda like a three beat weave but instead of beats you end up with threee wraps on each side. thease wraps are consecutive, they happen one after the other, not at the same time. they are in side plane.

start forward spinning weave time. left poi recoils from bottom of left bicep followed by right poi, left poi then recoils off top of left bicep and then right poi comes to right and recoils off top of right bicep. left poi then crosses and recoils from bottom of right bicep followed by right poi. left poi comes back to the left and recoils from top left bicep followed by right poi then left poi recoils from bottom left bicep as right poi crosses back and recoils from top of right biocep, continue ad nausium.

Phew! that was the easy bit to describe!! basicall what happens is each poi wraps twice on its own arn and once on the opposite arm, hence wrap weave.

Butterfly and spit time wraps:

the diffrence between thease two really depends on hand position if your hand is horisontal to the shoulder and both poi recoil at the same time then its a split time wrap, if perpendicular (straight down) from the shoulder then its a butterfly wrap. you may ask what the diffrence is, and the diffrence is about turning, but as I said we'll come to that later.

All combos in this section have the poi recoiling at the same time, of course you could have butterfly position with split timing, and that would lead to consecutive wraps, but what is the diffrence between them and weave timing? it all gets horribly confusing so im gonna stick to the basics for now. again thease wraps all happen in the wall plane.

so with split time you have wraps at the front, poi on one side, poi on respective sides. One poi same side from the front other poi at the opposite side from btb, top and bottom. Once you move to butterfly position then you have click clack wraps between the arms and legs, either with both hand in fron, or one hand btb. eg left poi wraps top of left arm arm from front, right poi wraps top of left arm from the back, letft and right poi then travel down and recoil from underneith left leg. from ther you could go back to opposite arms, or both ot the right arm, or whatever.

butterfly wrapping like this is less complicated than the weave stuff, cos they wrap at the same time.

but here is where it gets intresting....

Turning (at last!):

ok, first of all a few excercises in the wall plane.

weave wraps:

poi wrap to opposite biceps/forarms. both poi stop at the same time on opposite arms. no problem.

Poi wrap to same biceps. again at the same time they stall, but on the bicep of the arm holding the poi.

from thease two positions you can either do:

a full 360 spin to the same position upside down eg. left poi stalls on bottom of right bicep, right poi stalls on top of left bicep. both poi recoil and travel 360 ending with left poi on top of right bicep and right poi at the bottom of left bicep. pretty basic, applies to same side stops.

or a 180 'click clack' wrap, eg poi start on opposite biceps, recoil and recoil again from same biceps.

got thoes, good.

In butterfly there are lots more. for 360 wraps you have both on opposite arms at the top to both on opposite arms at the bottom and vice versa. then you have the same manouver but to respective arms. then we get into click clacks, both poi hit bottom of opposite arms and then go to bottom of same arms, again this works on top. the last is both poi to one arm, one top, one bottom. to both poi other arm, same poi top and bottom.

this last one is a nifty move in its own right and Ill take a moment to descibe how to get it.

spin split time forwards, now stick your left elbow into the path of the poi, both hit it simutainiously! they bounce off and you quickly stick right elbow in to catch them both at 180 degrees from original wrap, now just bounce back and forth. (this sounds easy, but like all the butterfly wraps in the wall plane requite perfect plane controle)

Right, now we have all thease sorted we can turn from side plane wrap combos, through the wall plane and across to the other side.

If your doing wrap weave and you have just wrapped each poi and on its respective arm then when you turn into wall plane the poi will next wrap onto opposite biceps.

try forward weave time, hit right poi off right side first, then left off fleft side then turn to left putting both biceps out you will end up with poi on oppsite biceps. from her you can click-clack or go straght into wrap weave facing the other way.

If however you take left poi off bottom of left arm first followed by right poi off bottom of left arm and then go to wall plane then the left poi strikes the bottom of your right arm as the right poi is recoiling from the bottom of the left, this put you in butterfly time.

Thease are the reliable things I know about turning, Im posative there are another 4/5 ways to do it, but i think this post is long enough dont you?

After all that text Ive only really desribed some basic combos, the wrap weave can be mixed up with more btb wraps and I havent even mentioned ww wraps in the side plane. I could also point out the 'curtsey' in the side plane, which alows wrapping from infron and behind the body off the leg, front poi comming of the knee, back poi off the ankle, combine it with some 'tracers' maybe.

The world of wrap combos is pretty huge, hopefully you can see the potential descibed here and thats only from 4 wrap points! if we start getting neck wraps, handcuffs ect into the picture too then it becomes horrendously complicated.

Biggup the glowstickers for inspiring me on this quest, please feel free to add your moves and ask questions and thank you for sitting through this. If you didnt manage to sit through it, I quite understand!

Love to you all,

Tom

[ 14. October 2003, 11:15: Message edited by: [Nx?] ]

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
yeah but skin heals- aloe is wonderful. this is funny, hey NYC, Dantana, where can i see videos of these guys doing their thing??? help an old man out...

anyone got a light?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
spirals are ok, do wraps fairly early in the burn, cos hater the wick heats up too. Be very confident in what you doing and dont panic if they catch... just abort.

havent seen thsi one for a while.

pozee,

I dunno about fire, but theres some badass glowsticking stuff around, I like www.gyrauroras.com cos they are sweet kids and have good turtorial videos. tho a compleatly diffrent terminology than hop or spherc.

T wave

-><- Kallisti

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
thanks, couldnt get there though, i got that page expired thinggy...

anyone got a light?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Wait... pozee?! Huh? I'm confused. What year is it?

Um... you know there's a whole "Video" section now right?

Not many people do vids of wraping poi. I do a ton, but that's why the cool kids tease me.

Wait... what are you asking?

So... confused. Did I fall in a timewarp? Didn't you fall off the map years ago? And didn't you used to do crazy wraps? You're the king!

I'm so lost...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
video section? man i suck on computers, where is it? uh yeah i finally got a computer, WOW! there is a lot of people here. guess ihave been out of the loop for quite some time.

still play with fire, still doing wraps, their my favorite, although i do love my staff as well, and the ropes, and the breathing,

did i mention my glowsticks...

anyone got a light?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
S'ok. I just did my first cross over wrap today. Falling to the "I know there's some new stuff that I wanted to practice but I can never remember anything when I'm actually HOLDING my poi" syndrome for years on that one.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Sorry guys, gotta plug the good ole www.glowsticking.com

So, who has done/heard of duowraps with fire poi yet? If no one's attempted it I am prepared to fry myself in the process. Duowraps... tutorial- https://www.glowsticking.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3350&st=0

Or check out my video in the media center. I am rearing to see this done with fire...

EDIT- Yes, I have a good video of these crazy kids doing all sorts of wraps with fire poi, including spirals. It's called Fire Tribe @ Cyberfest.

Hit me up on PM if you want me to send it to you.
EDITED_BY: KaelGotRice (1108549965)

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Funny, I was JUST about to plug glowsticking.com biggrin

Yeah... the vids there are the wrap center of the universe.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
ok, nice wrap vids for sure, but am I missing something there? because I am not really finding all that much info on wraps besides 10 or so "wrap 101" lessons. is there more than that and the search just isn't pulling it up for me? seems like there should be with it being glowstringing and all

nice duowrap BTW - I got something similar to that with fire but i like you variation with the double around the first arm. what I do (learned from poibox) is something between that and a handcuff wrap (maybe an opened handcuff wrap?). basically around both opposing wrists and around bouncing on the home wrist - same as your vid but both hands at once and no doubling around the first wrist. got is solid with fire (as does poibox).

another I have is a thru wrap from forward weave, left poi on right forearm, then bringing that into a buzzsaw pattern bringing it into forarm wraps with both poi (so left poi has a wrap on right forarm and one on left, right poi has two on left forearm only, arms held in T-shape with right arm pointing forward and left arm across body). Bring it out by rotating 180 and making isolation type wiggle movements to get the whole thing into to snap out via reverse buzz saw. watch out for the tricky flop the left poi likes to do to lock itself while you are turning.

can pull this off about 50% or the time with sock poi, and actually managed it once with fire but it wasn't pretty (hoping to perfect it by Falmouth). Actually beginning to think it is easier to avoid the left poi locking with ballchain than with sock poi.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Written by: Matt Therapy

I had a look through the threads but couldn't find any direct reference to this question, so here goes -

Does anyone do spiral wraps with fire poi?

I've seen some people doing quick wraps and catches with fire, and these thigns are easy enough with normal poi, but I just wondered whether I'm likely to use the skin off my fingers by trying this.

yes. PoiBox does them and does them so well I quit trying to do them because I knew I would never be the master. Not really, but he is so beutifully fluid with them and up until seeing him do them live, I thought it was an inherently clunky move - I was wrong of course.

-v-

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Written by:

PoiBox does them and does them so well I quit trying to do them because I knew I would never be the master.

Compliment to the performer or insult for the teacher ? wink hug

Ill probably check out Berlin middle of march - would be nice to meet you again!

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
cool! I will be off to the Falmouth gethering over easter, but will be around otherwise!

got loads of new stuff for you, much of inspired by your last visit. now if my frigging left shoulder would stop aching all the danged time, I could practice it enough to clean it up before you get here...

-v-

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
frown

I wanna meet the boxpoiboy *folds arms*

commin anywhere near rome after berlin??

T wave

-><- Kallisti

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Andy's cool. biggrin

He's well mannered, polite, pleasant.

Stay away from Nx, he's scruffy. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Again, the kids at Glowsticking.com have got it goin' on wrap wise.

I was going to PM Nx but then thought I'd put it public...

Crossover wrap combos:
https://www.glowsticking.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2981&st=0

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Page: