Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Isolation's make me puzzled

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
Right, after seeing fellow hop'er Oli show me how poi should be done i have been desparate to nail isolation's but the problem is, i cannot get my head around it, i mean i cannot comprehend where to start or the 'feeling' of the trick.
I have seen them done in 3beat rev weave, but is this the best way to start?
Summiong it all up i can see what the end product should be but i just don't know where to start. I hope this makes sense....
So does anyone have any tips on how to start and er....anything on these dammed isolations that would help me and probably a few others.

Thank you in anticipation

Tennis

Lord of the lie in's

My cat's breath smells like catfood

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Hallo tennis, not noticed you about for a bit.
You done a search? If not, why not!

Do a buzzsaw as slow as you can. Then move your hands in ever increasing circles. The trick is the circles of the hands follow the circles of the poi. This'll feel really weird, and plentiful time and practice are needed.

As the circels get bigger your left hand remains next to your right poi head, & vice versa.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
this handy dom nugget sums it up quite nicely:

"spin the poi slower"

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

AalatheaGOLD Member
80 posts

Posted:
another good thing to try first is doing a butterfly and then isolating the poi for just one beat. it won't look like much, but its simple and you can easily see what's going on.
and i think its easier to start off by trying just one beat of isolation first.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Months and months of mental torture.

also, start from the weave, seperate it for a beat and on the seperation, wiggle them.

Im sorry, i cant really be any more precise than that at the mo, im hungary.

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i dont think my sorry attempts at isolations are much to go by, but glad to be of inspiration

yea spin slow, and try and catch the left poi with your right hand and visa versa

also if you want me to email you a short (4 second) movie of some guy doing proper isolations, tell me

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
lol Oli, they were better isolations than anything we could do!

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
i agree!

i have never seen anyone even so much as attempt to do isolations before, and they look coooooooooool!!!!!

unfortunately, it has become VERY painful trying to do them for myself!!

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Zyanya BellaBRONZE Member
70 posts

Posted:
The only passable isolation I can do is in the windmill and usually then its by accident.

Always Beautiful

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by birdsanctuary:
i agree!

i have never seen anyone even so much as attempt to do isolations before, and they look coooooooooool!!!!!

unfortunately, it has become VERY painful trying to do them for myself!!

if its painfull your spinning too fast

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
how do you do the isolated windmill? i just kneed that for the full set!

t

-><- Kallisti

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Spin the poi as slow as you can, feel the point when it cannot maintain the circle and starts to collapse, then try and spin the chain to catch it. You are basically taking the weight off the poi head. It takes a while to get it so don't worry if it doesn't come right away.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Just do a regular buzzsaw and edit it in post-production. It's much easier.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Tiamember
12 posts

Posted:
I don't know if this will help but my spinning partner does crazy isolations all the time and I couldn't get them, until one day I was spinning and just for the hell of it I tried to see how slow I could spin before the poi fell out of the air, after spinning like this for awhile, my partner, watching me with a silly smile, tells me "your spinning all in isolations" except that I can't do them right? Try spinning VERY slowly eventually you will just naturally do them, gravity will take over for you.
Tia

When I die I want to come back as a glowstick

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
would a video help?

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
YES, a video would help muchly!!

this isolations malarky is really troubling me!!

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
also i berieve that mr poiboxII's Isolated weave videos&pix could help also.

possibly .

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
it may seem like a plea for sympathy but actually this is an instructional clue...
hammer time
(in other words just get a heavy hammer and flip it in the air/juggle it like a club)

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
We also found at the EJC that some people waggle their booty while doing buzzsaw isolations. Not sure if it has anything to do with the move, but it might.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
would it be to confusing to start calling isolations illusions? because its a nicer name and is what the person i first saw doing them called them.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Let's just start calling them 'hyperloop fountains'... that should clear things up.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
nahh, I like isolation, cos it relates nicely to contact juggling, where the ball hangs in the air, like the poi do.

Besides Im having enough trouble with dan wandering about calling hyperloops 'nexus's' without everyone re-naming all the other tricks too. I guess you can call them what you want, but weather anyone else will understand you.

Also, an illusion in batton twirling is a specific kicking move, very unlike isolations in poi.

T

p.s. NYC

-><- Kallisti

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
Half happy half sad now.And still puzzled.
I can isolate a rev 3 bt weave on my right side but when it comes round to my left i am doing the forward weave!
So it looks like i'll have to learn the f*****g weave again.

One day...
Tennis

My cat's breath smells like catfood

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Who calls them illusions? I ask because that's what the Thai guys started calling them. Parallel naming or a link?

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I vote we change the name to impossibles... Since that is what they seem to be to most of us anyway...

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
Rev, you mean there's something you can't do?

Heehee. Stick with the name isolations. Adding more names just leads to more confusion.

I can isolate my poi separately in figure 8s, but can't seem to keep doing it in a buzzsaw or a weave. It's that wonderful/horrible feeling of a new skill just barely out of reach.

E pluribus unum, baby.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Døm:
Who calls them illusions? I ask because that's what the Thai guys started calling them. Parallel naming or a link?
a link, i think beacuse the girl i met that was calling them illusions got the name from the thai guys, who apparently fumbled the translation of isolations ...
i cant remember her name but i met her in cornwall in the summer....

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
I saw a guy at Glasto spinning constant isolations, he had a drunken monkey kinda style, stumbling around the poi - seems to help, moving yourself around the poi.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by regyt:
Rev, you mean there's something you can't do?

Heehee. Stick with the name isolations. Adding more names just leads to more confusion.

I can isolate my poi separately in figure 8s, but can't seem to keep doing it in a buzzsaw or a weave. It's that wonderful/horrible feeling of a new skill just barely out of reach.

There's a lot I can't do... I'm still a noob... that's why I'm so anal... if I could do everything, I'd be more confident in my abilities.. and thus be some kind of enlightened guru.. right now I'm just an angry padiwan, because there are things that no matter how hard I try I just can't do..

isolations are the biggest pet peeve of mine when it comes to things I can't do.. I don't know anyone that can even do one, so that kinda puts a damper on things.. because I don't know if this is like hyperloops where heavier poi helps.. or like wraps where glowsticks help.. or whether its something that you need to work on one poi independently of the other, like a buzzsaw.. or whether I should just do my moves and let it happen, like adding beats to a weave...

I don't know where or how to start..

the mroe I think about it, I wonder whether I should try to do large isolations, where my glowstick stays in the middle and my hand makes a circle around it.. or to start with smaller isolations where my hand and glowstick stay on oppsite ends of the circle...

I'm beginning to think that isolations and my style are just not compatible because I feel so damn awkward trying to do one..

oh and I was joking about changing the name.. I could care less what anyone calls them.. At this point in time, I think they are impossible.. and its gonna stay that way until I learn them.. hehehe...

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
Rev,

Try heaver poi with lighter strings. I actually first got 'em by using a RenFaire pouch which had my keys and cell phone in it and was really heavy - I was twirling it by its drawstring, which is less than a foot long, and suddenly I was twirling it in isolations. Then I tried with my sock poi.

Try the kind where your hand and the poi stay at opposite sides of the circle. It feels like going into a stall, except instead of following your poi straight down with your hand, you circle your hand around. (Sorry for the terrible description.)Learn one hand at a time...

If I can do them at all (admittedly, barely), they're *not* impossible - I can't do half of what you do, after all!

E pluribus unum, baby.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
thanks reg.. I'll see what I can turn up.. I'm running into problems like these though:
if I twirl slowerthen the lose momentum and thus make even larger circles (poi) around my smaller circles (hands)... and when I try and spin them faster, I can'tmake my hands make larger circles...

the way I twirl also keeps my hands from making exagerated movements... So, style also plays into it..

and its not in what you can do, its in how well you can do it.. because control is learned over time through repetition... and i know that since I haven't been spinning long, it will take a while to develop the control that experienced spinners have.. so while I await control, I'm learning all the different moves, and transitions, etc.

Page: