Beccamember
11 posts

Posted:
Can someone help me??

I have looked through other topics, but cant seem to find the answer, maybe someone can help me... pleeeaaassseee.

O.k. so I can do my f/w and b/w weave managed to turn once from F/w into b/w - have been unsuccesful since, but now am trying to do the Overhead weave? is this also known as the windmill??

Ive looked on the poi-lessons video and sadly diane does not tell me what to do for this one, just that you turn from b/w and before you go into f/w weave stop in the middle and there you have it - but i dont

Can someone explain??? Also how do you turn succesfully from f/w to b/w?

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
hmmmm, I doubt my advice will actually mean anything, but I'll give it a try. I don't know the behind the back weave yet, though I'm close, just have to bring the seperate elements together. OH wait, your just talking about a backwards weave right? anyways. But for a overhead weave, if I'm not oversimplifying what your try to explain, all you need to do is start in a forward weave and bring your arms up over your head and keep on weaving. Is that what your trying to say? I think I'm wrong, that sounds to easy.

As for going from a backwards weave to a forwards one, don't you just, in theory, get into a backwards one, than turn and as you turn you'll go into a forwards one? This hasn't worked for me yet either.

hmmm, I probably raised more questions now with my odd answers. sorry!

sarah...member
339 posts

Posted:
okies.. ill give this my best shot.. bear with me
i can go from b/w to f/w and viceverca. What you do is when you bring your right poi to your right side for the second time on the weave, spin your body 180 degrees to the right, letting your left hand follow your right poi. this will guide your body around. As you are turning, bring your right arm over your head nad down past your back to swing backward down your right side and up in front of you... usually it all falls into place by this stage, with a little practice.
just let the poi go with the pull, because technically, the poi arent changing direction, you are..
hope my bodge attemt at describing this move helped..

Fire... A bushmans telly

sarah...member
339 posts

Posted:
oh, and if the windmill is what i think it is (which is one poi behind your head and one infront, both going the same direction at split times) then yes, just stop when you have your right hand above your head and the left hand more or less in front of you
hope i can help!

Fire... A bushmans telly

Beccamember
11 posts

Posted:
Thank u both for your advise, will practise this when I get home.... i can see what i should be doing in my head, but its just putting that into practise!!

I have lots of bumps from attempting this already and I'm sure their will be more b4 i get this one cracked

thank u

sarah...member
339 posts

Posted:
no worries... Good luck! and bear your bruises with pride!!!!

Fire... A bushmans telly

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I think we are talking about two different moves.

One is the windmill, which is basicly a two beat weave, done overhead and 90 degrees sidewase to a normal weave

The other move (over the head weave) is just a three beat weave, done in the normal plane of a weave, and it is done overhead. (and you can move it beind your head with a little practice)

SO... you can go from a behind the head weave, to a behind the back weave....once you learn both that is...

When learning a behind the head weave it helps to gradualy move into it from a normal weave and to twist back and forth once you get into it.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Beccamember
11 posts

Posted:
aagggghhhhhh o.k. so the windmill is a two beat weave done over my head - so do I get two beats in front of me and then two beats behind me and they are going the same direction in front and behind me????....

but the overhead weave oh... balls this is all so confusing!! will have a play tonite and see what I come up with!!!

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
The Behind the head weave sounds fairly do-able, though I'll prove myself wrong the moment I try it. I'm still trying to connect with the behind the back weave. I can go through the motions one hand at a time perfectly, but putting them together just sucks, everything I think I know just flies out the window and they either hit eachother or they fall short of making it to the other side and hit my back. I did, however, manage to do some crosses behind my back, though they wern't too pretty.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
i tried out this overhead weave thing today...hmmm. ouch! lets just say i didn't really keep the poi up in teh air where they belong. I guess this is my bodies way of replacing teh btb weave for something to beat myself up on... but i still beat myself up doing that!

oh well. i'll just practice i guess.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I tried the behind the head weave today too, it kind of hurt and my arms got really tired really fast. And the behind the back weave is slow in happening, I don't know, I just can't connect the seperate elements.

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
If anybody has some nice personal tips on how to make the btb weave work I'd be happy to hear them

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
one thing i found useful in learning the btb weave (and mine seldom looks good yet) is if you can spin the individual balls on your opposite side... so you have your arm crossed behing your back and you are spinning the ball on the opposite side. i would only do it with one at a time, it's hard enough as it is. I found taht made a world of difference when i tried to put it together tho.

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Beccamember
11 posts

Posted:
Managed to turn from forward to backward weave and backward to forward weave. Im still trying to fathum how to do the overhead one and windmill??? still not sure though.

Any more advise peps?

Janglamember
155 posts

Posted:
This is the full fountain: https://www.geocities.com/jangla2001/fullfountain.mov

But you can extract the overhead weave from it - it the bit that goes over his head (it's not me in the vid by the way!). Just keep doing that and you have it. Must admit - I can't do it fluidly and I reckon it's one of the most advanced "normal" moves you can do.

It took weeks of trying in vain to get the full fountain but watched this movie a couple of times and managed to pull it off first time - piece of cake now!

---------------------With a bit of luck, his life was ruined; always thinking that just behind some narrow door, in his favourite bars, men in red woolen suits are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.

Beccamember
11 posts

Posted:
I cant seem to access this??? it goes to download a windows player and then says "Unable to download an appropriate decompressor. (Error=80040200) Cannot play back the video stream: no suitable decompressor could be found. (Error=80040255)"

doh technology!!

xtremravr...was here..member
337 posts

Posted:
becca~~alright, im gonna try to help ltho im not sure if i will...when doing the forwards weave, when the right poi comes to the right side, turn 90* with the poi, as your right poi starts to go up put the poi behind your head...and then follw with the left poi, what you are basically doing is the corckscrew, but only it is vertical instead of horizontal, then to go into the reverse weave from that, when the right poi is on its down stroke, turn to your right another 90* so that you are facing the opposite of what you started when doing the fw weave,with a little practice you will learn how to move in and out of thee windmill fluidly, i learned this combo in about an hour and a half, once you actually learn how the poi are swinging to each side then you will better understand how it all moves together, and make sure you learn the windmill in both forward and reverse that way you can do full circles from weave to windmill to rev weave to windmill to weave..etc. hope this helps and doesnt confuse you more...good luck!!

p.l.u.r.r.
Xtrem

Peace Luv Uni-t Respect Responsa-what?!?! Xtrem

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I have what might be a dumb question, but if I'm going in circles and i'm switching my weaves am i automatically throwing in the windmill beats or can i keep a good circle going just switching my wevaes forward and reverse?

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
yeah you can go from forwards weave to backwards weave around the side of your body, getting it over your head is different.
I find it easier to go from reverse weave - windmill or overhead, I think with the windmill, your arms come down behind your back and your body turns 90 degrees, but this is not neccissarily true for the overhead weave.
It's a preety fine line between the 2, subtle adjustments and you can go from one to the other.

There are also 4 different ways you can go into them considering forwards/backwards weave, left/
right sides of your body.
Try turning side on so that the poi swing parralell to your front and back while doing the forwards or backwards weave on the right or left side of your body, arrggghhhh
(this may sound like bable , sorry).

Cut to the chase, look for some threads and or video's of the fountain.

good luck

[ 17 April 2002, 06:39: Message edited by: JeStEr ]

Trying to play the Akashic records,
but my turntables not compatible.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Windmill: Learn to do Chasing the Sun (if you can't already) where the poi travel parallel and you drop the poi behind your back. Then (say swinging to the right) start to increase the lead of the left poi until you get the windmill.

Or something like that. Check the windmill animations, under moves, at this this site

[ 17 April 2002, 11:42: Message edited by: Stone ]

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I can do teh windmill (i think) seperatly... i just can't figure out how to use it as a trnasition between weaves...

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Ok, as far as I can figure it out, it’s in the transition (crossover) from forward to backward weaves (or vice versa) where you go into the windmill. The bit where you change direction.

quote:
Practice twirling the chase from forwards to backwards without having to move your feet. Do the forward chase on your left-hand side, and the backward chase on your right-hand side. At the point of change, where the chains move from twirling forward to backward, move into the windmill - first both hands perform a circle in front in split time, then a circle behind. As the chains return to the front, move into the backward chase.
From Simon Marquis site (link above).

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
hey, i'd worry about getting the other stuff b4 worrying about overhead weave. it requires a lot of poi control and you can hurt your head. plus it doen't really look any better than the windmill, esp. to a audience. just get those transitions, practice each one separately until you can do them without thinking. try also coming out of the weave with one hand and putting it behind you, then turning the rest of your body and locking into the opposite side. then try it without the transition. you have to turn fast!

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.