Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Marking staffs when teaching (thank you Ade)

Login/Join to Participate

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Ade suggested in another thread to tie a ribbon to one end of a staff as an aid to explaining what some of us see as "forwards".I think the idea of marking the different ends of a staff, with a ribbon, paint or even different coloured tennis balls is a brilliant idea!It would be very useful in all situations where you are teaching, as well as helping us to figure out what we are doing when we can do a move but not explain it.I'm going to look into it over the next few weeks as I have three practice staffs (no wick or soot on, just wooden) which should be easy to mark.This seems to me to be a great aid for all of us, please let me know what others think as well.Thanks again Ade...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nzPS - If this has been done before or others are already suing this technique, feel free to email some raspberries i.e. tongue's[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 24 September 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I agree that is a great idea.another idea that is probably fairly common-place already is to mark the middle of the staff with a light coloured strip. I use white electrical tape.This enables people to keep an eye on something during aerials and also helps newbies find balance point of staff a little quicker...This is something I did instinctively when I was a lonesome twirler for o so long... I suppose most people have some marking on thier staves to aid them?

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Cheers Charles glad to have helped, I always use this method when teaching people the basic staff moves. It helps a lot when teaching singles and doubles (forwards and double forwards - sorry an un pc staff glossary term wink)I also paint the middle of my staff in a couple of colours - as Flash said - it helps with aerials. I also reackon it helps remind me I can do moves by holding onto the staff at the 3/4 point instead of always in the middle.

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Its very difficult to explain staff moves because of the duality of the expressions everyone uses! I dont think i could begin to explain some of the moves i do, and even then they arent very challenging!

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
What I've been doing is cutting my grip-tape in half and wrapping each half from the center of balance outward. I put a white piece of tape around the center of balance, and different-colored tapes at the ends of the grip-tape.A friend who used to twirl batons competitively tells me that they would divide their grips into 5 zones, with a different color of tape for each zone.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
this is such a great idea! I keep meaning to make myself a set of teaching staffs, maybe just bits of dowel with tennis balls or something, just something lightweight and well balanced that's easy to learn with. over summer I got roped into teaching a workshop at a juggling festival but I hadn't prepared ,and I ended up having to teach with tent poles! well, some time I'll get my arse into gear on this, I love seeing peoples' eyes light up going "i've got it!". xaeda

the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I have 2 practise staffs. Made out of 1m lengths of dowel, with silver insulating tape grips in the middle and rubber walking stick stops on the ends. I use these when I'm training for double staff. But I also find that, having two that are identical, when I'm teaching someone they can follow what's going on better.... ------------------C@ntus

Meh