Forums > Social Chat > Frustration Settles In

Login/Join to Participate

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I have just finished practicing. I slaved away at a new sequence of dance/poi moves, trying to land the timing just right etc.First I practiced the body motions, then the poi, then blend them together. However, my hands are so accustomed to going from one move into another that I did frequently that everytime I tried to go into the new transition without concentrating on it my arms seemed to go into the old moves automatically. AHHHHHHH!!!!! mad And I thought that training my body was a good thing...now I have to untrain it to retrain it! Does this ever happen to any of you, where you are so trained into one thing you find it hard to adjust to another??Oh well, I suppose I should get used to it....once I get it retrained then it'll be onto another combo dance and frustration will settle in all over again!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
o Pele - I understand more than you can imagine!!picture this: lonely firetwirler teaches self everything she knows. has little to no contact with other fire people for a period of 4 years. had no access to learning resources and is somewhat lacking in creativity at times...then one day this lonely twirler, let's call her flash fire for argument's sake, meets up with a bunch of other twirlers. flash fire realises that everything she knows must be done in reverse if she ever hopes to lose her static style...try and undo 4 years of bad habits then try doing it in reverse!!!that has been my greatest obstacle in my firedancing. But now that I'm gradually passing it, my twirling has improved ten-fold.To me, that just displays the importance of having other fire people around you for at least some of the time. we are ever learning, but seriously, who's imagination is that amazing that they would never require outside stimulation?------------------"she dances in a ring of fire and throws off the challenge with a shrug"

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Overcoming ingrained habits, reflexes, and muscle memory is half the battle whenever I learn a new move with poi. I'm dealing with this all the time. I haven't had this problem with transitions--yet. Well, maybe with one that's kind of awkward anyhow.And I recently started practicing with staff, which seems to require a different approach on a more abstract level--poi is in the wrists, but staff seems to be in the shoulders a lot. I'm sure I'll be butting up against all kinds of interesting problems all over again.But with moves, at least, once I drill in a new move, I don't unlearn any old moves, so I'm optimistic that you'll get both the old and new transition down.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
<> you must ulearned what you have learned..kough kough..------------------"When a Man Lies He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
Pele: Ayup, I have the same problem when I'm spinning poi -- I never do "routines" but I do get stuck in the same series of moves and transitions. One thing that works for me is to crank the music, spin until I am exhausted, and then keep going. I find that once my muscles are exhausted they are much more likely to move in non-standard directions. There are, of course, other ways to send your brain and body in new and vastly different directions, but we don't need to have *that* discussion yet again. ;-)Adam: I've got to disagree with you about staff. The time that the staff "clicked" for me was when I thought, "ok, let's pretend the staff is just like poi and try all the same motions and moves." Sure enough, I went from awkward clumsy motions to silky smooth moves in just 15-20 minutes! It was completely amazing.Also, I find the wrist/shoulder motions about comparable with staff and poi, at least when using Xaeda's 360 degree-in-each-hand twirling technique. This motion, BTW, is the *key* to staff twirling. IMHO, you shouldn't even bother trying to learn any moves until you get this down. If you can already spin poi, and can get this motion down, you can basically skip all the rest of the staff lessions.-p.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
PJ--Thanks for the perspective. I can do the basic 360-rotation move, although it's still a little jerky. There are some moves that I can do pretty smoothly (eg "staff4") but others that feel really forced for me--"staff6", and Woody's "staff3"--and these seem to depend on shoulder motions in a way poi don't. I've just been working on a few motions so far, haven't even been thinking about transitions yet.Ahh, well, there's always a new opportunity to learn and challenge oneself. Part of the fun.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hehe smilePele, I dont really have this problem although I know exactly what you are talking about...Katinca is a classic for it tho! She learned by feeling, I learned in a much more structured manner. Now when she tries to do something different often the poi just go into their favourite move (to a cry of frustration wink) She sometimes seems to be being controlled by the poi smile)It does mean she can totally zone-out tho, something I am almost incapable of.and pj, have you tried double staves yet? I find that you can treat a single staff like a poi (pick an end, and move it like its the head of a poi) but when you are using doubles you need to be aware of both ends in some moves, or else you get caught upside the head with the wrong end of a fire stick smile)Although - I've gotten a lot further with single staff since I started putting effort into leading with both ends (metally mapping trajectories with the leading head switching between the two).I wish I was bringing my single long staff to the states...but we couldnt afford the weight/ space..as it is we are bringing;-two 105cm staves-four fire poi-8 juggling balls-one hacky sack smile Josh-1 more sleep[This message has been edited by [Josh] (edited 27 July 2001).]

plastikgirlmember
41 posts

Posted:
oh I just hate when I'm trying to go from this move to another and my arms make the old same routine again and again. There are some moves that go with each other perfectly, but come on :/ I ALWAYS forget to to corkscrews, and I absolutely LOVE them!!! Damn.Sometimes that makes me want to scream.I think I need to be a little less disciplined with my moves :P------------------"Lady bug lady bug, fly away home. Your house is on fire, and your children will burn! Ashes, ashes, all fall down!!

Lady bug lady bug, fly away home. Your house is on fire, and your children will burn! Ashes, ashes, all fall down!!

Phyzeriummember
38 posts

Posted:
i know exactly what your going through. Once i learned how to do btb wraps, i had to change around my signature move :-( But after a few days of good practice, im getting to the point i can go either way with it, and the new move really works well in a combo....

Pain is pleasure.

EyeStormmember
54 posts

Posted:
I agree with you plastik, Corkscrews are fun. smileAnyways, I'm not advanced enough to start feeling transition anxiety (or whatever you call it), but I'm getting there.

((m/)) --==EyeStorm==--