Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

pilchstranger
18 posts

Posted:
cheers my good man of woman (tick as apropriate) I shall have a wander through and not blame you for any black eyes that might acoure smile

dont u just love it when ur toys hit ya

harasuSILVER Member
journeyman
51 posts

Posted:
Yay, I've just learnt a reverse 3bt weave! I think looking at my shadow has helped a bit ... fortunately weather turned sunny and I didn't have to practice inside my room crashing furniture.
Suma sumarum it's a constant pain in my right thigh and a bruise on my head. But hell, I've nailed the bugger! Mwahaha, can't wait to move on (:

Commander Schutz: Strange, and I thought you were an Aryan.
Jewish Barber: No, I'm a vegetarian.

LizzybethLizzy hearts sunshine hoop
272 posts

Posted:
hybrids. because im really at a loss for what to do. and only on the left side for wall flowers and the right side for weave. gggrrrr

if i could be a busy busy bee...

IishxcSILVER Member
35 posts

Posted:
I just figured out how to do forward 3bt weave weavesmiley Thanks to Yuta's awesome video lesson on it

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
have the butterfly 1.5 weave down quite nicely now, cant turn with it yet though

orbitals, as much as i do lament them, are also coming along

i still refuse to do spiral wraps tongue2

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Hmm. Lets see, finally got TTN, and I'm working on the buzzsaw isolation. It looks pretty I think.

I've been trying to throw an isolation into my weave now and again for a kick... lol....

I was contemplating a 1 poi move, but I don't think it'd be too productive while performing, aside from the "photo-op".
I haven't seen it before, and when your doing it it really doesn't look too pretty, At least, watching me try to do it doesn't look pretty.

A figure 8 or an infinity sign using stalls and a little bit of an isolation. Making an "X" patter with a little momentum to carry across the middle of the X shape and then stall and get momentum going the other way...

*shrug* Could be nothing, but I'm trying it regardless.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Sounds like it could be interesting.

Not sure that I entirely understand though....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Take a look at your HoP Icon.
Starting on the right you spin up and stall the poi to the top left side of the symbol, then spin the other direction and stall through to the top of the other side, rinse, and repeat. *shrug*

Like I said, I'm not sure if it's plausible, but I'm going to play with it for a bit, see if I can get it prettier.
Feel free to do the same, heh.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
*click* Got it, I think. At any rate, I get a cross out of the pattern I am thinking of.

Will play with that as well then. smile

ro9uedeityGOLD Member
stranger
1 post

Posted:
That does seem interesting for a photo. If you do happen to pull it off I'd like to check it out. Please do share if/when you nail it!!

IishxcSILVER Member
35 posts

Posted:
I figured out how to do some basic isolations and a revesre 3bt
EDITED_BY: Iishxc (1224349949)

morisila_ardielBRONZE Member
The Sparkish One
1 post

Posted:
A few days ago I pulled my poi out from a small period of not spinning, only to pull off a couple flowers right from the start! I was so giddy, I've been randomly pulling out my poi and spinning flowers for days.

"In my dreams I seek someone with the courage to denounce life's apparent order." -from Eli Wiesel's "Twilight"

Conner8008The Oregon HOP Head Spinner
6 posts

Posted:
i need help with threding the neildel

Conner Hearty
AkA Dj Dark Acid

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
here you go - > Thread the needle

TTN at the glance,

:R

hug

POI THEO(R)IST

velvettearsSILVER Member
stranger
12 posts

Posted:
I learned the butterfly today smile I'm going to be working on the three beat weave.

SuchGOLD Member
Rancor
253 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: velvettearsI learned the butterfly today smile I'm going to be working on the three beat weave.

Congrats, if you're moving on to the three beat I suggest you get the two beat down on both sides, it will make the three beat much easier; unless you know the two beat then never mind o.O

Human

velvettearsSILVER Member
stranger
12 posts

Posted:
No, I don't know the two beat, but I have taken a look/tried it, it seems to just be a matter of timing. My left side is a bit slow, so I have to compensate and concentrate on it, but it's coming along smile

XhelenatSILVER Member
xHelenax
8 posts

Posted:
I learned the 3beat weave and alsost did a 5 beat weave. Also thought of a cool combination for a dance.

I am somewhat new to Poi but I love it!

velvettearsSILVER Member
stranger
12 posts

Posted:
i've started dancing around with my poi a bit more, and I've stumbled on a move and I have no idea what it's called, so I need your help guys.

It's a figure 8 formation, I typically start with both poi on my left side, swing up to my right, down then back to the left. On about the second to third rotation I separate the poi and they do this individually (the 8s). I love the move, just want to know the name lol

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
No name for it really, its just figure 8s with the poi in even time which you then seperate out into a 2 beat weave(a split time movement)...

That is if I'm understanding you correctly, of course. smile

hug

velvettearsSILVER Member
stranger
12 posts

Posted:
That does sound right. cool that i learned it on my own though. I was watching videos and couldn't get it lol

Spinout0517SILVER Member
stranger
6 posts

Posted:
I did My very first multiple spinner big burn the other night in which i learned triquenetas (probably misspelled)inward and outward box stalls inner line stalls and the 5 beat weave and windmill. any advice on strightjackets or the 4X4 fountain?
and if your interested in the vid heres the copy from my cam im in the front right

WOOPWOOP!

TroikaSILVER Member
The official unofficial purveyor of cake
26 posts

Posted:
I just got the three beat weave yesterday and working on the 5 beat weave! Can't keep the butterfly going for more than like 5- 7 beats, my left hand keeps getting out of the plane or something. any tips??

V_RegalGOLD Member
Lost in the Lights
101 posts

Posted:
Remember that the trails cross at two points.
Split time or pray is my advice. And put them on slightly different angles?

Risen from the Ashes
The Phoenix shall rise in his royal flaire.
FIND YOUR DESTINY.

MannimalGOLD Member
The Mannimal
13 posts

Posted:
One week into spinning and doing so daily. Here's what I've learned:
Week One:
Butterfly, with some btb and over the head variation
Over the toe, Behind the back turns, as well as the behind the back, forward to back turn
Two and Three Beat Weaves
Half Time Opposite Spins
180 and 360 Turns while doing three beat weaves
5 beat weaves (FINALLY got it Saturday, first night with a set of glowsticks)

Plans for Week two:
Stalls
BTB weaves
Changing planes

MannimalGOLD Member
The Mannimal
13 posts

Posted:
wow... so I found opposite stalls are hella crazy hard to wrap my brain around. Any suggestions to mentally preparing my brain to do it?

Also, I'm trying to do btb weave with a backward spin, is that the way that most people get it? any tips?

EDITED_BY: Mannimal (1239123082)

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
On btb. Yeah, most people find rev easier... but I'm probably not the best person to ask because an old injury prevents me from doing fwd properly.

Put your weak hand on the top (so doing the stalls coming down) and your strong hand on the bottom (Doing stalls coming up) and just try keep it going.

Also, can you do opposites with both stalls going up? Meaning they are on opposite sides of your body?

(I assumed you meant the ones that are up and down on one side of your body)

Get comfortable with the prospin, opposites wall plane flower and that should help greatly.

hug

philisweatlySILVER Member
life's a garden, dig it
115 posts

Posted:
finally got the variation on split time butterfly when you kinda do antispin flowers and the poi end meet in the middle and swoosh to the other side. sweeeeet.

oh and I can airwrap in a bunch of new places and directions. smile
EDITED_BY: philisweatly (1239565002)

haha

DerwynLightworker
88 posts

Posted:
Got btb 3beat! YAY!!!

"When we dance with the faeries, we dance with the reflections of our true selves and the true inner self of the world."

"If you keep thinking like that, you'll never get to meet a Unicorn."

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Well done!

Finally managed to get a couple more crosser variations and entries.

Page: ......