Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
lol i was judging the weave cos someone told me thats how many it was but i'm not sure bout the hyperloop

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

SeGeeSILVER Member
12 posts

Posted:
Managed 4beat weave today.. but cant get the 5th.. which side does the hand do the 5th? the one that he opposite side / the same side weavesmiley
EDITED_BY: SeGee (1126968495)

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
Edit: moving this to a new thread... Whatchacallit Hyperloop

Got a few new moves sorted out:

4bt. TTN sametime

straitjacket turns

double neckwraps with fire

some bizarre crosser weave turns

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
It's flower power!

Cracked lots more flowers all in split time same direction or in split time opposite direction, and I've been working them into my spins all weekend! The waistwrap is proving to be a bugger to work in, but it's damn easy to spin out of!

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
finally nailed BTB airwrap and also split time double BTL release catch on the other side (180 deg. turn)

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
continous split time butterfly hyperloop of the isolated variety, bout time too smile

progger

DixieGOLD Member
old hand
740 posts

Posted:
Reverse isolated hyperloops. And loving it.

Important Notice.
Can be found elsewhere.

This signiture has malfunctioned and can currently display no information. This matter will be rectified shortly.

jesusofsuburbiamember
27 posts

Posted:
just learned how to do a simple butterfly to weave wrist wrap then instantly got the spiral wrap and put together a nice 8 beat wrist to foot to shoulder to weave combo im now in love with wraps

screechcircling on the edge of madness
889 posts

Posted:
happy to get thread the needle in outwards/reverse butterfly i learnt it forwards months ago but kept getting confused going the other way
bounce clap bounce2

finland finland finland
the country where i want to be
pony trekking or camping
or just watching tv

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Bwahahahhah.. just cracked the BTB 3bt weave.. yeehaaww..

I'm a happy poi-son...

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

RadaSILVER Member
42 posts

Posted:
congrats to everyone who has posted before me. It feels good to have a new trick to use.

I finally figured out the 5 beat reverse weave. I learned forward 5 beats long ago, but for some reason i couldnt get the reverse. I can also do a full 2 cycles of 5 beat BTB reverse weave. getting closer.

HORRAY ME.
Rada

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
one handed butterfly-double leg wrap-reverse one handed butterfly-double leg wrap- back to start

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

Seaweed_SpriteSILVER Member
34 posts

Posted:
Mine is probably nothing in comparison. But in the last week I learned the 3 beat wave, butterfly, giant butterfly, corkscrew, a cool twisty behind the back one (don't know what its called), a turn thing....and some other random stuff. and that's pretty good for me (atleast I think biggrin )

But on the other hand, you have different fingers

RadaSILVER Member
42 posts

Posted:
^ gotta start somewhere, those are great tricks. can you do a 3 beat reverse? knowing both forward and reverse enables you to make turns while doing weaves. good luck.

Dylmtsnewbie
5 posts

Posted:
Hello y'all! Just realised I signed up here ages ago and now I actually know a few moves! I've got to spin in front of real human people in feb so I'm a bit nervous about that but it should all be fine.

Anyway back to my reason for getting up and posting at three am, I had this idea bout doing a through-the-legs butterfly and then rolling over whilst continueing to spin. Has anyone done this, is it even possible? It would be good to know.

I finally cracked some decent reels today and something crazy with a butterfly but I have no idea what it's called! It went over my shoulders and behind my back and all over the shop. Anyways as soon as the sun comes up, I'm giving the 5-beat weave a chance. Anyone got any extra elbows?

Tom

Bugs Duggan

Seaweed_SpriteSILVER Member
34 posts

Posted:
I've been working on the reverse one, but it's not really happening for me yet. I just started to pick up the behind the back stuff, and I'm starting to get a little better. I'll have it pegged in no time smile

But on the other hand, you have different fingers

SeraphireHoP's Original Smelly-Hippie-Scum-Bag
270 posts

Posted:
I got forwards and reverse 4 beat!! and btb 3 beat (Note Avatar)^^ with outside isolations...and btb thread the needle...major jam session!!! I got a corckscrew with something like the 4-beat wrist movements in it..top and bottomand some weird reverse thread the needle with inside and cross isolations...looks weird..but all is well!!! (From the looks of previous posts we're all learning everything at once.)^^

Music gives Soul to the Universe, Wings to the Mind, Flight to the Imagination and Life to Everything.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE! hug

dsei.org Stop The Arms Trade!

KittyCatastrophenewbie
7 posts

Posted:
Trying to get the hang of the btb weave right now.....i just need to learn how to dislocate my shoulders & i should be fine....

To err is human
To purr is cat

xx

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Written by: KittyCatastrophe

Trying to get the hang of the btb weave right now.....i just need to learn how to dislocate my shoulders & i should be fine....

Hahah.. yeah, it's a pain in the arse.. I still consistently clip my calves or elbows frown (bad planes, poor sense of motion behind me). I couldn't even come close to getting the weave until I extended the length of my poi a bit and added finger straps for holding (I use sock poi). Now I can get one weave (3bt each side) before they lose momentum.. Fun as always tho..

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

SeGeeSILVER Member
12 posts

Posted:
wow I thought I learned the 4 beat weave.. but now, 1 week later I realize it was 5 :P

SalciliaBRONZE Member
18 posts

Posted:
Yay!

5b BTB weave on one side... backwards anyway... ubbloco

Still need to get fwd BTB weave going.

There appears a flight of dragons without heads. Good fortune.

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
a little update in the world of aimée poi since PLAY and Loves the Circus visit to Hastings..

4 and 5 bt. Why did it take me so long to get these? umm
Hyperloops, forwards on both sides, yum yum
B'floops. Also a b'floop stall unwrapping hand thing which i discovered yesterday..
Lots of under the leg pretty-ness
waist wrap but not a waist wrap, apparently.
anti-spin things biggrin
isolations

smile

Trippie HippieBRONZE Member
old hand
733 posts

Posted:
Basic anti-spin flowers
BTB Isolations
Taking it easy
Trippie

Trippie Hippie- Monty Dons secret love child

Fly like a mouse, run like a pillow, be the small book case.

"Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone".

Because dressing up is fun.

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
I can do an isolated buzzsaw for a few seconds...

I'm learning anti-spin atm.

Willy - is bad for your health...

Sammi...GOLD Member
5 posts

Posted:
I've just learnt how to do the behind the back weave and I can link it with the normal reverse weave (so transit from front to back).

Anyone got other transition ideas (for getting into and out the BTB weave)?

"Self-confidence forms the bridge between capabilities and action"
(Hollenbeck, 1991)

"What do you think about that Gary?"
"Meeow..."

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
I just learnt one of the btb butterfly weaves, you could wrap from that to a btb weave and back smile

to transition into the btb weave try turning into it.

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

SinnerBRONZE Member
41 posts

Posted:
i've only been doing it for 3 days now so these moves will seem kinda weak in comparison...
3bt weave
butterfly
split butterfly
corkscrew
chase the sun (or whatever)
working on the 5bt weave

One of the many Duncans...
Feel the burn... (in a good way) meditate

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
i've been working on isolating stalls, have not been able to find anything else on this, altho there was a large response to the search.

I've managed to get the poi head to drop straight down, perpendicular to the ground, tracing a line from head hight to my ankles.

Start by trying to initialte a stall on a frount or rear plane from the peak of the beat.

I'm also battling away with antispin frown

Started doing some awsome stuff with isloated weaves and isolated butterflies, but i still need to clean it up before i get it smooth.

Regards hug

Shu
(Ice-E FyreStorm - Group Manager & Performer)

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Forward and reverse 5bt weaves censored finally. I managed to get them both on the same day which is strange.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
been practising since I've gooten home & can finally do the 5 beat! (taken me long enough) thanks kindly to danny_devil for showing me exactly how to have my wrists either end of the move smile

Are you up for it?
wink;)

Page: ......