Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > easy, but cool looking move

Login/Join to Participate

Neekomember
68 posts

Posted:
I was toying around with weave variations when I came up with a move I have never seen anyone do or mention, so i may be an innovator here or I may have just discovered for my self something that a lot of people already know about, but here it is:When doing the weave, sometimes people will open up there arms straight out when crossing the poi over to the other side of their body. Essentially the result is an effect similar to a giant windmill. What I like to do is stretch my arms out, but then hold them there, give each poi one revolution (letting the poi from the forward hand go in between my arms), then bring them to the other side of my body to complete the weave. It can be done with the backward weave as well.Oddly enough, out of all of the moves I can do, this one consistently gains a reaction out of people despite its simplicity. Does anyone do something similar? My description might suck so feel free to ask for clarification.

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Yeah Neeko, its a favourite of mine atm as well, looks really cool, ive always thought of it as the giant weave :P cause it is like doing the giant windmill but of the weave variety.

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

Neekomember
68 posts

Posted:
Frenzie, do you know what I mean by leaving your arms out and letting each poi to a seperate revolution before continuing with the weave? I am just wondering cause sometimes I am bad at describing moves.While I'm on the subject, I found it works great as a transition into or out of the weave as well.[This message has been edited by Neeko (edited 10 September 2001).]

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Ahh yeah i think i know what u mean, im gonna try it out tonight when i leave work and see if i can do it :P

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
yep - Robert Micheal does that move (and other analogues) on the Circles of Light vid.but whatever dude, you are still an innovator cuz you came up with it yourself. smileJosh

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Robert Michael has definately given me much inspiration.

Neekomember
68 posts

Posted:
Thanks Josh. Once I finally have some spending money I am gonna have to get my hands on a copy of this video I have heard so much about.

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
One of the great thing about twirling that I love is that it does use imagination, it's not just spinning in circles!Basically while you're twirling you can 'feel' where your hands can or can't go. There are almost endless possibilities in transformations between moves and throwing extra beats in.One simple move I'll share is while doing a weave you can really exaggerate your hand movements so that your hand can move over your shoulder to spin the Poi behind your head, e.g. your left hand over your right shoulder. Then you can throw in an extra loop with one in front, one behind, or transition to a weave, behind-the-head butterfly, front/back alternation, or whatever.You gotta love Poi!

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

Neekomember
68 posts

Posted:
I know exactly what you are saying, Alternitiva. Something I'll do is a simple 2-beat weave with my wrists close together, then go into a 3 beat weave doing the exxagerated arm movements like you said. It creates an interesting effect.