Sunshinemember
8 posts

Posted:
*quite possibly already been discussed but here goes*I'm sure they must but I have only seen one peron do it. It looks lovely. I don't know the right words in use here but its two circles behind the back and one in front with each poi, alternating. Easy to do in sync, tricky to alternate but satisfying once mastered...

Fire is Life~*

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
hey Sunshine - at what height are the circles done??? this could be just a weave in front-back planes or it could be the alternate butterfly combo or something completely different with 2 circles at the back and 1 at the front with each Poi - which direction are the poi spinning?Happy swinging,Simos

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
dude thats the alternet butterfly combo.its in the "lessons" section for a movie.umm the best way to learn it is to do 1 poi at a time (i hate butterfly junk!) and when you do 2 poi at once pic a dominant hand to be 1 circle ahead of the other

moonglowBRONZE Member
32 posts

Posted:
why dont you like butterfly based moves jeff?I do find they tend to have a different beat from most of the faster stuff - but kinda like them as a contrast and for a breather between a mad weave/fountain/fling yourself around session - and to work out where the audience is again smile .. friends tell me they look just as good as the other stuff ... (since I was a bit unsure about them smile

I wish I could jump like that, he thought. Some can and some can't. That's how it is.
Winne-the-Pooh.

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
butterfly stuff does look really nice!! and it is good because it takes almost no energy to do them. but they just aint my cup of tea. being that i always swing at raves, the faster stuff fits a bit betterits not that i hate butterfly moves, its that they are very difficult to spin,turn,walk etc with them.i prefer the fast psycho weaves/corkscrews/waves etci usially use the kinds of moves like chase the sun/ low turn/ horizontal chase the sun etc... (poi are always same distence apart) for a break when i spin (also it adds a really nice change up from really fast moves) [This message has been edited by Jeff Duncan (edited 03 January 2001).]

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
hey Jeff, from what i gather so far in some aspects we have the same style of swinging - i usually use chase the sun and the turns (high and low) as a break when i spin and i do like fast spinning to since i usually swing glowsticks to trance/rave/house parties... but butterflies work well to; you just need to bring them in at the right point - since i like to dance as i am spinning i found out that the alternate butterfly and mexican wave helps (both reverse and forwards) and you can go really fast with those moves too; what you can do is connect them with moves that start with spinning the poi in different directions (one forwards on in reverse)...happy swinging,Simos

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
well simos that sounds like a plan... practice speeding up my butterfly stuff,(after all they are moves as well, so they serve some purpose)so before the next rave i will have to get all this butterfly stuff working for me. I also got a few moves just sitting around in my move collection that i never use so ill get them working toooh it just clicked in my head that i could do turns with the low wave/high wave to get a bit more of a show out of it. (dont know why this never occured to me before)

Sunshinemember
8 posts

Posted:
No, it's not the alternate butterfly comb. , there's a bit more to it. Two circles behind the back, one high, one low, before the poi goes to the front again. At first it feels like it shouldn't work cos it's unbalanced but it does :-) It feels great to do so try it if u haven't..

Fire is Life~*

The Cabirimember
20 posts

Posted:
We use the Tibetan word 'Mahasamba' for that move... if I understand you correctly.It's this:one inverse butterfly in frontone forward butterfly in back (at shoulder level)one forward butterfly in back (at waist level)looks really cool when you are doing a multi-person choreography and at one point you all just 'snap' into this move. we've gotten loud cheers for doing it in the past...has anyone tried this move totally wigged-out out of sync? like your arms are moving independently - not in sync but not opposing either? it's hard to explain (wish I could SHOW you!) but is sooo cool looking... I think of it as right arm starts, left arm stays one beat behind the entire time.neat move, huh?Charly

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
Sounds intresting.....have you tried to do it with:1 forward infront1 inverse behind shoulder level1 inverse behind waist levelthat might be intresting....

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
You can also add in, I don't know what to call it, but it's basically a butterfly with the arms outstretched horizontally. Back or front. Up or down-chop. Mix it in any way you like.

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
hey Charly...i have difficulty visualising how Mahasamba is done - what i was doing so far was starting with forwards butterfly in front then forwards butterfly at the back (shoulder height - unless that's what you would call reverse butterfly) then forwards butterfly at the front and then forwards butterfly at the back at waist height; i am confused - how do i change from a reverse butterfly at the front to a forwards butterfly at the back (say at shoulders height); oh how i wish we could all meet in person and exchange moves - words are confusing....happy swinging,Simos

The Cabirimember
20 posts

Posted:
Well, Simos... there's a little 'wrist flip' thrown in there when changing from front to back - that helps with the change from inverse butterfly (in the front) to forward butterfly (in the back).In other words, in the front you are doing butterfly with circles that move outward. The insides of your wrists are facing each other, right? When you move to shoulder level, the poi are now behind you and the insides of your wrists are facing skyward. As you move the poi, which are still behind you, to waist level another wrist flip occurs. The insides of your wrists are now facing directly backwards (away from you).Repeat numerous times and you are doing the Mahasamba! how about that?!Yes, I wish we could somehow share things visually too... alas, we are stuck trying to verbalize tricky tricks to one another. grinCharly

Matt Hippymember
7 posts

Posted:
I have seen the move that u describe. A guy taught me it in Holland except that he taught me like this.1) Start doing reverse butterfly.2) Then split time it.3) Then alternating, each hand goes thru this pattern... a) two circles in front b) one circle behind at shoulder level c) one circle behind at waist level4) The best way to begin the trick is on the second circle in front of you with the right hand, as soon as it is done you begin the pattern from the beginning with the left hand so it starts to alternate.5) Once you have mastered the technique (which is eight moves in all, very rapidly following each other), you can exaggerate your arm movements outwards.6) This has the resulting effect of looking like an octupus!!! I never heard it done with just one circle in front but it seems a lot simpler than the way I was taught.Anyway, Peace and Love, Matty[This message has been edited by Matt Hippy (edited 10 January 2001).]

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Hi guys..I'm not sure about this butterfly knocking stuff...There is *lots* of stuff you can do with butterfly...and it can be done as fast or faster than weave etc, due to the efficiency of the movement you use to crank your poi.I'm no great Poi'er, but I am able to do butterfly backwards and forwards, behind my head, in front of my body and am currently working on behind my butt and between my legs...I guess I didnt react to it in the same way that you guys did...and the only person I poi with regularly is my girlfriend who is so graceful and good...she pulls off moves without even thinking about it! I watch her grace, and I emulate...I'm not trying to big note myself, as I KNOW that I'm not that good a Poi'er...but I find it easy to turn, spin and do various other things while butterflying...I reckon its just a matter of getting used to it...I saw a girl a couple of weekends ago that was dancing in spirals while moving the butterfly all around her body...Very Beautiful, and fast...and the crossing effect you get is amazing..I definitely do not think that butterfly and its derivatives are limited...in fact two directional Poi I feel is more balanced...urgh...This hasnt been very helpful has it...sorry.All I can say is that I love poi'ing, and anyone else that shares that passion, I consider a friend.Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

o-omember
78 posts

Posted:
for two cents you get this:the move the cabiri call mahasamba is just one of potentially hundreds of combinations...(i still would like to try it smile )try doing the butterfly moves with each hand at different heights, forward and behind your back - mix it up - there was a beaming poi vid of a combo of this. you get all sorts of cool figure eights and overlapping circles. when doing the alternating butterfly you can move forward and backward quite easily, just step with the rhythm of the poi. yyou can also sashay to the sides while swinging windmills and mexican wavesetc.o-o[This message has been edited by o-o (edited 10 January 2001).]

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
hay josh i dont beleive you if you say butterfly is faster then 3 beat weave.(no offence)i can get the weave up to blinding speed (bluring 1 glowstick into an entire circle)physics is against this as well butterfly is a resting slow move (using only your wrist) weaves are ment to be fast (i use only my wrist untill i speed up then i use my whole arm and after 15 seconds i am dead tired)people are amazed at how fast i can do a weave but this is only my $.02[This message has been edited by Jeff Duncan (edited 11 January 2001).]

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Offense?None taken;I let my poi do the talking :)seriously tho - going really really fast in weave is something we all do cuz it's so exciting...and I guess it thrills the masses...Specially when you go from forwards to backwards 'n' stuff...But just cuz butterfly is an easier move (on your muscles) doesnt mean the poi are actually going slower.There are more efficient ways to move, and less efficent ways...an easy example to think of would be twirling the poi at your sides using a straight arm instead of just using your wrists...However, come to think of it, I reckon your right. Simply cuz the sound my poi make when I'm doing a weave is much louder than it is when I'm doing butterfly..therefore I guess they must be moving through the air faster. that makes sense I reckon :)As a point of interest, the highest velocity I achieve with my poi and staff happens to be while doing the same move: Switching back from reverse 3-beat weave to forward 3-beat weave. The lead end of the staff or the lead poi really really goes fast...I dunno tho - all this talk of Power twirling has reminded me of how over that whole Testosterone combative style I am...Almost everytime I loan my staff or poi to a guy at a party who wants to try it, more often than not the thing they spend the rest of the night doing is going faster and faster in a 2 beat 'wonky' weave...In fact I cant remember the last time a guy didnt do this!Blah blah...:)Josh

moonglowBRONZE Member
32 posts

Posted:
mm while the idea of efficiency seems to make sense - I agree with the noise principle smile .. Ive got a hole cut in one of my poi and it kinda screams when I go hard - and it very rarely does it in a windmill combo ... I would like to be able to keep the same flow in butterfly moves though .. so I guess I should keep trying ... it just feels quite disharminous at the moment .. actually I should stop posting here and go do my thesis .. but this is much more fun smileps Ive been pasting all the move suggestions into a word file - and now Im going to go try Diana's suggestion and see if I can do them all smile

I wish I could jump like that, he thought. Some can and some can't. That's how it is.
Winne-the-Pooh.

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
the fastest i have ever got my poi going was doing a high turn while turning 360 degrees and on the downswing i used all my muscle(that was fast) smile