Page:
pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
erm i just noticed well yesterday in fact that the board is now running on PHP though the old CGI is working, looks to me like malcolm has been busy this is weird as this post is using CGI and i entered the board and read the threads on PHP?

for those that have no idea what the hell i just said here is a clue.... in your address bar in internet explorer [and or other browsers] a standard webpage would end with .htm /.html .
pages that use a scrip such as HoP's message board use .cgi or .php because it is a different language which runs on the server.

so i wonder, once i press add new topic i will view my thread in php or cgi??

runs off to find out....

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
confussion....

https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php

https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

so when i posted my thread it was sent as CGI and displayed imediatly as CGI too! closed my browser and reopened HoP looked at my thread again, now its in PHP

i think malcolm is tring to fry my brain at 2am! DAMN YOU MALCOLM.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
3rd time lucky????

FRY BRAIN FRY

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Dude, sweetie, honey....

MAKE A FRIEND!

GO... OUTSIDE!

Heck, WATCH TV!!! That's why God gave us TV! So we wouldn't HAVE to think!

Pesky punks....

I am now going to watch TV. Followed closely by going outside with friends.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
Funny, when I viewed the topic it was in php, but when I got to the "post a reply" page, that was in cgi.

E pluribus unum, baby.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
it is not impossible for websites to marry CGI and PHP technology.
sadly enough, may day job is e-com programming (mostly ASP/SQL2000 combination) and i find it often the case that such coexistence is quite necessary when you need to upgrade your website whilst keeping it live.
it is a delicate process, becuase it is exceedingly easy to piss off end users when live data is lost/is hard to find/i can't find a llama.

the catch is that i get paid; the best thing about a free resource such as HoP is that end-users can't ask for their money back or sue over contract breach

we luvs ya malcolm! not a little

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
bender on a mender in the blender he's a big spender sittin on his rear ender in uber splendor

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

6,978 posts

Posted:
hey... how did you know about the blender?!
{cues spooky music}

woodnymphmember
313 posts

Posted:
spanner,that prune thing-it just happened to me!!!that sounds a bit dodgy what does it all mean?!....

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
One of those conspiracy things created so computer geeks can feel special..?

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
GEEK!

Step (el-nombrie)

Captain HazzardBRONZE Member
Ninja (shhhh, don't tell)
420 posts

Posted:
the prune thing is about days of messages you want to show. theres a little box in the top left giving you the option of seeing loads of days or just 20.
i think!

I only wanted to be 16... and free

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
currently for NYC's sake i am waiting for paint to dry. litteraly, need to get this second coat on before the days out....

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
yay! PHP! i was wondering if this site would ever get upgraded. This is the only cgi BBS that I has seen since the 90's. yay PHP

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Wow, more TLA's. (Go ahead. Ask what a TLA is, I dare ya)

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Matthew B-MLemon-Aware Devilstick-wielding Operative
605 posts

Posted:
Of course, the nice thing about "TLA" is that it's self-referential, as is "ETLA", and "FETLA" (for "extended" and "further extended" respectively).

Luv 'n' Lemons
purity :: clarity :: balance

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
TLA = tender loving... anteater? anthropologist? arugula?

E pluribus unum, baby.

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
Prunes are good for the digestion y'know...

Malcolms so considerate!

Currently on the right side up of the world.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Geeks & Nerds! The lot of you!

605 posts

Posted:
Like you can talk, Dom.

regyt: "Three-letter acronym"

Luv 'n' Lemons

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Døm:
Geeks & Nerds! The lot of you!
says the web designer

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Matthew B-M:

regyt: "Three-letter acronym"

DINGDINGDINGDINGDING! We have a winner!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
quote:
due to techincal issue at the ISP with the IRG's IOS. The DNS for your IME and WPS will be temporally (read perminatly) OOS. This is due to a DoS exectuted by a WSK from a direct splice into the CAT-5e VC at a FBB of the telco node in the ISP's service node. While this delay is in effect the telco will be providing IDSN access for a cut rate you may configure your ISS and your IMS along with your LGD to use this EUS. If your don't have a ISDN modulator-demodulator. We will provide one at half cost. Along with the blade for your router to connect to the ISDN modem also at half cost. We currently suport PureData routers. If you are using a LGD other than puredata (AYPR) we will order the correct blade for you at mark up. We will also instal and make all changes nessisary for you at half cost. (RBTBC will be at regular cost). Thank you for your patience (WDGAFFABY). If you can't accomidate these changes you are SOL.

At my last job (at an ISP) we used to talk like this when doing tech support if we didn't now WTF they were saying or why something was happening

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Kaji-kun:
quote:
due to techincal issue at the ISP with the IRG's IOS. The DNS for your IME and WPS will be temporally (read perminatly) OOS. This is due to a DoS exectuted by a WSK from a direct splice into the CAT-5e VC at a FBB of the telco node in the ISP's service node. While this delay is in effect the telco will be providing IDSN access for a cut rate you may configure your ISS and your IMS along with your LGD to use this EUS. If your don't have a ISDN modulator-demodulator. We will provide one at half cost. Along with the blade for your router to connect to the ISDN modem also at half cost. We currently suport PureData routers. If you are using a LGD other than puredata (AYPR) we will order the correct blade for you at mark up. We will also instal and make all changes nessisary for you at half cost. (RBTBC will be at regular cost). Thank you for your patience (WDGAFFABY). If you can't accomidate these changes you are SOL.

for a moment there i thought that was Glass explaining a new poi move

Dirty Marmite SpiderClimbing up my leg
141 posts

Posted:
I'm so confused, are there two HoP's. One I don't know about?

Now I feel OOTC.

(Or is this just that sort of computer stuff that normal human beings don't understand?)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
OEIFALBS
(OooooErrrrImFeelingALittleBitSick)

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Definatly some tricky business. Another free-community I posted on switched server's, location of servers and switched from CGI to PHP simoultaneously. They had to take the page down for awhile to do the CGI to PHP switch without loseing old threads and stuff. And it took awhile to work the bugs out. How did malcolm pull this off so seamlesly?

I think the answer is that he is a freak

6,978 posts

Posted:
Originally posted by Kaji-kun:
[QB]
quote:

someone hold me..i'm scared now

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Astar:
Definatly some tricky business. Another free-community I posted on switched server's, location of servers and switched from CGI to PHP simoultaneously. They had to take the page down for awhile to do the CGI to PHP switch without loseing old threads and stuff. And it took awhile to work the bugs out. How did malcolm pull this off so seamlesly?

I think the answer is that he is a freak

The switch should be easy, its just a case of up loading files to the server.
The hard part is the database and making sure that every thing migrates and can co exist with the new version of the board it's all made by UBB so there cant be much difference.
Another hard part would be to redesign what malcolm has changed in the old CGI format to PHP, i actually found PHP quite simple to edit with no knowledge or ever having seen PHP code before.
It should go pretty seemlessly, after numerous pm's to malcolm before about techy stuff he knows what he's doing.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I suppose the other switch was so horrible for the people doing it because it was ubb to phpbb. I trust malcolms knowledge of what he's doing. It's just these people also knew what they were doing and I remember the sheer hell they went through makeing the switch and setting up the databases and stuff. Infact I probably owe them a donation of some sort for all the effort they put into it. Just like I owe malcolm a few purchases from the shop.

I hate my conscience.

605 posts

Posted:
I think I'm scared that I understand a fair few of kaji-kun's sentences. More than that, I know that they couldn't possibly string together like that. And some of them are just plain bs... Oh well, I am a geek. Whodathunkit.

Luv 'n' Lemons

Page: