Page:
DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I'm thinking that I should start donating blood. For a long time I've felt that I'm obgliated to but I'm lazy and I don't like needles and I forget to feel bad most of the time. I (or my future children/wife) may count on someone elses blood to save my/their life but I've given nothing....

Should I be ashamed? Do you donate blood? Are you against the idea of giving your blood to someone else?

It's so easy the place you do it is 5 minutes walk from my desk. I know there's always a shortage no matter where in the world. I believe (maybe incorrectly) you get paid to do it in America? What's the story? Tell me it's easy peasy, go on, please.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

andythepoiaddict
508 posts

Posted:
i'm (coughs) 37 and have given around 35 units of blood. its something i'm deeply commited to and really like doing. i have o neg which is the stuff they give to people in emergencies when they haven't had time to cross type the recipients blood, so it is in particular demand. as for the red cross dumping common stuff i've never heard that before and it kinda doesn't ring true. lets simplify things....if there were only 2 types of blood....a and b....and 99 per cent of the population had a and 1 per cent b, then 99 per cent of donors would be a but SO WOULD 99 per cent of people needing it. doesnt matter how rare or common your blood is, its still needed just as much as anyone elses cos of the relative numbers of population with your group.

i do know it only has a shelf life of 35 days tho...so maybe occasionally some doesn't get used up, cant imagine its lots tho.

DSS mate....we live farily close...if ya need someone to give ya moral support or talk it over with....get in touch n i'll be happy to do what i can to help. good luck

It's smashing to be back x

FruleinFireotographer on Hiatus
284 posts

Posted:
Mmmh... that's funny: we just discussed this topic in our breakfast break. I do not donate blood and told my colleagues that I feel bad about it. My reason is that my veins hardly pop out and always roll away. I had to get my blood tested every half a year when I was working with radioactive chemicals and it was a nightmare. I always ended up bruised on each crook of my arms because they tried to get blood even though I told them to get it out of the vein on top of my hand. I hated it. Once the girl even poked a tendon in my arm and all she said was Oops! I know everybody should go and donate blood at least once but I just cannot get over it....

Btw DSS: In Germany you get paid for donating blood. I think it was something like €20.... Crazy since I thought it was called donation....

"I see," said the blind man.

andythepoiaddict
508 posts

Posted:
20 euros!! woohoo....budge up in the bed fraulein....i'm a coming to stay.

(does some crap maths...mmmm....20 euros....bout 15 quid.....times the 35 times i've given blood....thats um..........er..........WOW i'd be RICH hehehe)

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
In ireland you get a free pint of guiness when you donate blood, or budweiser if you dont like the black stuff.

I'm not kidding..... beerchug

Love is the law.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i have always planned to donate blood. but whenever i think about it i'm either sick, or its the middle or rowing season or in the middle of hectic year 12 (now!) when i figure i need all the blood i can keep for my own health!

its on my list of things to do before i go overseas though!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

284 posts

Posted:
Written by: andythepoi

But I am in Ireland at the moment... DAMN! wink

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I donated blood in cambodia and... oh wait fnf already said that smile

Meh

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I'm not allowed to. I have a history of anemia, I have spent too much time in Europe...

Oh, and I have sex with men.

So yeah, no blood donation for me.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
what's spending time in europe got to do with blood donation? confused

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Direct quote fromt the Red Cross ubblol

Written by:

Persons who have spent long periods of time in countries where "mad cow disease" is found are not eligible to donate.

Moo ubbloco

Love is the law.

andythepoiaddict
508 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fräulein

goodness me woman i have NO luck!! hehehe.still...ireland IS nearer......? wink

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
i used to give blood - 13 times i think it was. but after i was vego for a while i didn't seem to have enough iron in my blood so they said don't come back! eek i would like to start again...i gotta catch up to my dad's record!! he once took just 5 minutes to bleed!! my fastest is 7 minutes. ubblol stupid competition i know - and geez it makes you dizzy - but it's a competition none the less!!

ah well...better start eating properly again i guess!! i had some blood tests a while ago and that said everything was normal...so theoretically i should be able to give blood! umm

:P

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

284 posts

Posted:

Indeed! wink

cranmerenewbie
19 posts

Posted:
Just do it. I did it the first time because I was terrified of needles and I was so angry with myself for being a coward that I walked into a donor session one day. I explained why I was there and they were just great, had someone go with me all the way through and got the best vampire to put the needle in. I passed out cold but felt so proud of myself afterwards. Having done it once I couldn't find a good excuse not to do it again so I've been giving blood ever since. I still hate needles and I still get faint but what the heck, it does me good to prove to myself that I'm in control rather than the fear. Not least, it's a good feeling to know that my blood has gone to help someone else in need.

Pat in Somerset, England

andythepoiaddict
508 posts

Posted:

Indeed! wink

yowzer you're my kinda gal! wink

Numennewbie
7 posts

Posted:
A few weeks ago, I was approached by a blood drive group, and when I told them I'd had a tattoo a few months earlier, they replied that as long as it was a licensed facility, it was okay. This was in North Carolina, and when I told them it was done in Texas (where there is no licensing), they let me leave.

But, according to the Red Cross site, there's no rider about the facility being licensed or not.

Then again, I lived in London for four months in 1993, so I can never give blood again.

Here is the place,
Now is the time;
Let's invent the kiss.

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
iv give blood i a couple of times sofar i was spose to go last week but i have tonsalitus.

to any one whos worried about it hurting it dosent. It hurts about 15 times less then geting a tetnuis shot. the blood guy told me it hurts less beacuse the stuff is coming out of you rather than being squashed in to you.

jane

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

andythepoiaddict
508 posts

Posted:
you can never give blood in the US cos you once lived in LONDON? that's remarkable in a truly awful way!

re tattoos...in the uk it used to be that u had to wait a year after...now its 6 months....which is only 2 months longer than than the four month gap between donations

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
yep, that is the way of it! guess they don't need blood so bad if they are worried about mad cows in your veins...

but don't take that seriously, dnote when you can. I used to (I consider it a bit of a duty being typr O), but I can't for a couple more years now because of the yellow fever immunizations I have about 2 years ago. Apparently Imy blood can be contagiuos to the wrong person for another couple years! eek

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Page: