Forums > Videos > Probably the best fire poi video you've ever seen

Login/Join to Participate

Tyler_BarrySILVER Member
1 post

Posted:
Feel video
click this link to view video

So I'll start by apologizing. Although this will be the best fire poi video you've ever seen, it won't be because of technique or skill. This past weekend I went on a college retreat with my church, in which I busted out the old cathedrals to give a spin. My performance is nothing special, and there's actually a few instances in the video where I screw up tremendously; However, what the video lacks in skill it makes up for in quality and depth.

You see, my friend just moved to town and it turns out he's magnificent at capturing moments on camera. He filmed me while I was spinning (Which I barely noticed) and as I watched this video for the first time I was mesmerized at how he had captured the simplistic joy and fun found in playing with poi on film. I don't practice often (as you will see) yet every time I pick them up and set them a blaze I instantly have a smile on my face and I drift off into my happy place.

There's a scene where I hand them to a friend, who aimlessly spins them around, and he has the biggest smile on his face that I've ever seen on any one ever.

So I guess I just wanted to share this with the poi community because I know a lot of the time we can get caught up in perfecting our performances and that's definitely important but always remember that the state of "play" is the foundation for what we do. Free expression of our sense of identity found in the simplicity of two balls on some strings.

Take it easy and keep on spinning,

Tyler