tycanestranger
1 post

Posted:
Hi I'm looking for inspiration videos of female poi dancers or fire dancer. I have looked on youtube but I'm having a hard time finding good females who dance and preform not just spin the poi around. Thanks

Bam BamYour Average Every Day Sane Psycho
31 posts

Posted:
I'm surprised you never found this one xD

This one's really good too

What, me worry?

iSp1nF1reBRONZE Member
Alcoholic FlowMaster
17 posts

Posted:
yeah poi girls the best one

Liquid and Fire is a beautifully breathtaking combination

southafricadudeGOLD Member
12 posts

Posted:
That second video is really great, yep, loads of awesome ladies on youtube spinning smile

beaniebobGOLD Member
casually noob tech poi spinrar
155 posts

Posted:
Liz Knights:

and Kate McCoy:

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error."

MimiJulyBRONZE Member
17 posts

Posted:
I'm starting to document my fire practice and I`m a girl. (Or so I`ve been lead to believe...) You can check me out if you want, but I wont be ready for ''performing'' for a while. I'm very much a beginner though... If you have any tips for me, about fire safety, variations, anything, feel free to tell me! I really wanna improve.

I've already been asked to perform for pow wows, but I have anxiety issues.

So far this is the only video up on youtube. I'm kind of lazy when it comes to uploading.
EDITED_BY: MimiTagaryn (1371231963)

ABOBer92SILVER Member
ABOB - Pois'n'us
178 posts

Posted:
"I've already been asked to perform for pow wows, but I have anxiety issues. "

my best advice for performing if you have anxiety issues, feel selfconcious or any general shyness is to find somewhere in public that you can do some spinning (without fire), put headphones in and stick music on full volume then either ignore everything but the poi or close your eyes and start spinning. at the end of the song stop look round and see how people around you are reacting, worked for me and even earned me some money for busking grin
if you feel too anxious, stop sit down and relax before trying again (also have a friend with ya if you think it'll help). if you can do a couple of public practicing or busking then youll soon get enough confidence for being centre of attention at pow wows smile

as for other tips/advice, spend a while just randomly checking things out on these forums, my mind nearly exploded with new ideas/info in the week after i found this site lol

I dont want to be called 'the greatest' or 'one of the greats'; let other guys claim to be the best. I just want to be known as a clown, to me thats the height of my profession. It means you can do everything-sing, dance, and above all, make people laugh

MimiJulyBRONZE Member
17 posts

Posted:
''my best advice for performing''

I'll try practicing with music. I usually don't because of mechanic (ear buds easily get ripped out of my ears.) and I just dont want to attract attention...

Ive had a few surprise audiences, and they make me nervous. I sometimes rewatch my videos and when hear their laughter (in one particular video) I wanna just puke. Afterward, I am reluctant as hell to try again.

Reading this forum really does help a lot with that though. The incident with the surprise audience happened almost 2 weeks ago, and I am already over it.

As for grabbing a partner, it can sometimes be difficult to find someone who is interested in poi and has free time to tag along. My anxiety isn't reserved to performing poi either, it extends itself to my interactions with other human beings...

I got a lot of work to do, for both poi and people :3

Thanks a lot for your imput. :3
EDITED_BY: MimiTagaryn (1371509103)

ABOBer92SILVER Member
ABOB - Pois'n'us
178 posts

Posted:
have a quick watch of this

its focused on professional writing/videoing but you can easily take it to help with performing (whether for fun or professionally)

im a shy person, have been for as long as i remember, but you'll find that performing infront of people, while scary at first, will boost confidence even in general life smile

also for listening to music, thread the headphones up your back under your top and tuck the slack cable into the pocket with your mp3 player -it isnt foolproof but it works well

I dont want to be called 'the greatest' or 'one of the greats'; let other guys claim to be the best. I just want to be known as a clown, to me thats the height of my profession. It means you can do everything-sing, dance, and above all, make people laugh

sticklefifermember
8 posts

Posted:
If you absorb yourself in the poi, you'll think of nothing else. When I'm spinning fire, I don't even realize people are around me until I'm done, because I'm concentrating on the fire and my technique. When you're performing, don't do it for them. Do it for you. Sounds cheesy maybe, but it works.

widdymember
4 posts

Posted:
Yuta is a male but I think he does a fantastic job so much so that male or female doesn't matter who does this performance it's a great example of incorporating movement (dance moves) with poi swinging. check him out.

alfanimember
2 posts

Posted:
this girl is good