Forums > Help! > Stick poi vs. ball poi?

Login/Join to Participate

DreamsofDiscordSILVER Member
stranger
9 posts

Posted:
Don't see it mentioned anywhere in the forums, though I'm sure someone has probably asked before. I practice with fluffy poi and/or the LED glow poi from the HoP store, and I notice that when doing things like the butterfly, when I trip up it's because the heads just barely touch each other. While I realize this is something that could be avoided with better plane control, I'm curious if it isn't easier to perform tighter moves with something that sticks out less from the line, like a flowtoys crystal poi or even a glowstick.

"Until a man is twenty-five, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherf*cker in the world." -N. Stephenson

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Probably. Never noticed it myself though.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
head size plays a role but only really when your getting into certain advanced moves do I ever think it's an issue (inverted moves/ atomics etc) ultimately it's down to your plane control- which will come with time, practice and paying close attention to your planes in any moves that are causing problems. You mention you use 'fluffy poi' are these the fluffy ones home of poi sells? if so they are a good set of poi for learning and they have a pretty average size of head in terms of dimensions, my only criticism is that they are very lightweight.
If anything I would suggest moving up to a heavier weight of poi- even if you just make your own set of sock poi and put 150g of rice in each head, the extra weight will give you better feel and speed your learning of finer plane control. Once you develop this control you can apply it to any set of poi smile

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

DreamsofDiscordSILVER Member
stranger
9 posts

Posted:
Yes, they are the fluffy poi from HoP. I've been using them primarily to practice my three beat weave and butterfly, as when they go awry they tend to home in on the jewels tapedshut and less weight is less downtime laugh3

I actually have a set of sock poi, I've been using my LED glow poi heads in them, will have to try the rice. I'm not as fond of the socks as I am of my cole cord + double loop setup; I'll definitely weigh some rice out and give it a shot though, because fine plane control has been escaping me lately. If it helps but I'm still not digging the socks, I might just put an eyelet in a tennis ball and fill 'er up wink

"Until a man is twenty-five, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherf*cker in the world." -N. Stephenson