Forums > Social Discussion > Ramblings on Potential, Opportunity & Careers

Login/Join to Participate

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Recently I have been doing a bit of thinking about my career and where exactly I want to go with it, and how to get to where it is I want to be. This has led me on to think about some more generalised things regarding career choices and potential (talking from a western view point)

People tell you that anything is possible and when you are in school you are told you can be whatever you want to be when you're older as long as you work hard in school. This failed for me in many accounts, at first I wanted to be a Harrier Jumpjet pilot, to which I was told by the Royal Navy i could never do as I wear glasses, and even if you have eye surgery they won't let you in. Also, females can't (or at least couldn't when I was applying) be divers or work in submarines in the Navy.

I currently work in a circus school, we have many people apply each year, some of whom we have turn down for purely medical reasons, their body just wouldn't be able to sustain the training they need to do - either ongoing back injuries, bone disorders etc... It's our duty of care not to take people on that will then spend the next 3 years injured or causing them to have even more injury.

I know that I could never be a performer full-time as I have an ongoing injury (suspected arthritis in my wrist - had for 4 years now) and I know that when I start training seriously I get so many little niggling injuries. It took a while but I realise my body is not built for sustained physical training in anywhere near the levels I need to do to Circus full-time.

I also have dyspraxia which means that learning any sequence, choreography or new trick takes a longer time for me. I know that this isn't a barrier to becoming a performer, not by any means! I know quite a few dyspraxic circus performers, including jugglers! But it just seems to be another thing against me being a peformer.

Anyway, kind of the point I was wanting to make is that had I been told that you there are barriers to certain careers, and that some people just aren't built/designed for certain jobs then it would have saved me a lot of heartache. Obviously not to tell children you can't do what you want to do, but more...to be aware that you may not 'get' your first choice in career. That you have to be open to life and that adapt to what it throws you. It's taken me a long time to be happy with my situation, not to begrudge people who are healthier, fitter, better eyesite than me - especially if they are 'Suits' (suited office workers) and not using their natural benefits.

What are your opinions?

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
My opinion: I agree.

Honestly, there are a few things I would love to do now, that would be alot easier had my parents forced me to do it as a child, but then if they had done that, I might not want to do those things now.

At the moment my goal is to find a job where I can make money and keep folks entertained (hopefully). I would love to teach also, but the things I want to teach I wouldn't make any money teaching, as I don't have the background for people to want me to teach it.