Forums > Social Chat > ignorance leads to anger

Login/Join to Participate

mtx98tibmember
15 posts

Posted:
ok here is the deal i am really into poi. so naturally i really like doing new moves and showing people what i can do. well tonight a group of my friends decided to go up to a local park to hang out. i thought hey this would be a good time to practice some moves and maybe see what they all think. so i start spinning i do about as much as i can which consists of a weave, butterfly, behind the back butterfly, and a 3 beat weave. they were kinda impressed. then the ignorance comes in. the next thing i hear from them is "hey that isn't hard let me try". so i would pass off my poi and kinda guide them along. i got threw to a few of them telling them it doesn't have to be fast movements when you first start. another person grabbed them and just starts spinning them as fast as possible when finally one of my clamps gives way and flys off. which really pissed me off cause i just got these made and ready to go. what made it even worse is they didn't even care to say sorry for messing up my stuff and didn't even offer to pay for a new part(its about a dollar or so for a new pack of the connects i lost). sorry needed to vent about this. i feel alittle better now.

does anyone know of a good connector to use for building your own poi? the connector that broke was the main one that holds the cord i am using to my handle.

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
Sorry to hear. Here's a to cheer you up.

Umm well I use chain and use a C-Clamp (Quick Connect)(I believe that is the correct name for em )

I have two slits cut in the tennis ball and the chain is run through the C-Clamp...I then run the C-Clamp through the slits in the tennis ball and secure it. Violai!(sp)

I havn't lost or broken any yet.I hope that is what you were looking for.

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

DaiTenshimember
104 posts

Posted:
..... carved from a human femur, bwahahahahahaha

/me runs off into the distance to the tune of an Eeeeeeeeeevil Mr. Wizard theme.

Anywho, sorry man. Can't really help you on replacing connectors and all.

When it comes to ignorant folk, well, coulda been worse.

Not much help, but hey.

Good luck.

No one knows me like I do.

mtx98tibmember
15 posts

Posted:
yeah it did kinda make me feel alittle better when one of them thought he would be cool and do a weave and tagged himself right were the sun don't shine. had a good laugh and i think it made him appreciate some of the stuff i do alittle bit more.

yeah i use the quick connect for my connection. sorry i wasn't too clear on that. the part i am talking about is how i made my loop in the cord to hook the quick connect to. the way i did it is really loss and i was thinking about getting it swapped out when i started getting better. i think this just kinda jumpped that date up to tomorrow for finding a new clamp.

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
Good Luck

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

thisboysetsfiremember
45 posts

Posted:
hey, i dont know about the clamp thingy, but i do know about things being broken by someone else, not many of my friends take much interest in what i do, but those who do, they first start off like thinking, ahh wow thats so easy, until they hit themselves in the head or summit. they are nmow the ones who just leave me too it, and well, kinda enjoy watchin it i hope. but there are still those who think its easy, and just a boring thing, but i love my staff, even if at the mo i only have a homemade one!!!

hope you find that clamp thingy or what ever it is, i dont know much about poi at all!!!

PEACE

Mike Buggins

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
sorry to hear about your tale, matey, but it sounds like you did retain your pride
me wonders how differently your aquaintance would have reacted if they had a go with beaming poi
:cues lightning crack:

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
youve missed an essential part of your poi construction....go to the hardware, and find the most obscure and wierd looking piece of metal, and use it as a connector. i have no idea what it is, but it hasnt broken yet in over a year.

for your friends? laugh at them, dont get angry. theres too much anger and not enough laughter in the world.

cheers

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Dude, sucky situation, umm... my advice, find you a good long tubesock and some tennis balls (actually if you want to be mean use baseballs) and let your "friends" try those if they think its so damn easy!

Needless to say after one quick smack in the ole family jewels they will admire you greatly for your skill at protecting the riches!

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

mtx98tibmember
15 posts

Posted:
hmm that baseball idea does sound like a really plan. i think after hitting themselves a few times they will appreciate what i can do. i got some of them to think it was hard and cool by showing them some of the pictures i took while doing poi one night.

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
Too Bad about those conector things. I guess if you wanted something fancy the HoP shop probably has something.
And now a story.
I have a friend who was watching me do poi in my basement and he's like "Oh, that's not that hard, I can do that" so I let him have a go with my glow sticks and he can't even spin them without getting them wrapped around his fingers.

MJ12hitmanmember
3 posts

Posted:
people who automatically think they can spin fire right away without any practice are obviously mistaken. when ever someone asks me if they can try i tell them to practice with a set of practice poi first or i give them one poi to spin or cross over or do whatever. some people that simply dont respect the art should set the lit poi on the ground and watch them burn and say "hey i just did a weave, cool!"

mtx98tibmember
15 posts

Posted:
yeah i wanted to be supportive for them to start doing poi. i told them that it would be a lot better for them to get an old pair of shoe strings or something to start out with, but they insisted on swinging mine. when i start swinging fire there is no way i am gonna let them try it without practicing a lot first. i really don't want to be held responsible for someone getting burned for being stupid.