Forums > Videos > Any other fast spinners?

Login/Join to Participate

VerminGOLD Member
[Insert something clever]
10 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone!

Just sharing a video of me spinning fire poi fast. There tends to not be too many fast spinners and I understand the preference- slower is more beautiful. But are there any others our there that like spinning fast as well?

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Alrighty...

So, I enjoy spinning slower than that, and I also enjoy watching people spin slower than that but....

I liked it. I especially liked how thought out the moves seemed in as far as they coincided with the music very well.

Cheers.

leospoiSILVER Member
Poi explorer
108 posts

Posted:
I normally spin to the beat of the music that is playing. If it's fast music I spin fast if it's slow I spin slow.

VerminGOLD Member
10 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: meshunderlayAlrighty...

So, I enjoy spinning slower than that, and I also enjoy watching people spin slower than that but....

I liked it. I especially liked how thought out the moves seemed in as far as they coincided with the music very well.

Cheers.

Thank you!
Yes, the choreography definitely makes it more watchable, as opposed to just 'flowing' to fast music. Sometime that doesn't work out too well.

I ended up learning new combos and transitions from practicing this song. In my head I saw what would look good during certain parts, but did not know how to do the moves. In the end, I learned much more than I even use in the performance.

TankboySILVER Member
Resident Demolitions Expert
103 posts

Posted:
The speed of your spinning is an element of the overall performance.

That being said, having limited variety in any aspect of your spinning is detrimental to the performance.

I think that changes in speed are the most notable.

I would suggest to all spinners to try to play with going from slow to fast, and from fast to slow.

VerminGOLD Member
10 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: TankboyThe speed of your spinning is an element of the overall performance.

That being said, having limited variety in any aspect of your spinning is detrimental to the performance.

I think that changes in speed are the most notable.

I would suggest to all spinners to try to play with going from slow to fast, and from fast to slow.

Thank you for your observations and advice!

[ Unregistered ]addict
413 posts

Posted:
The main problem with fast spinning is control and doing wrist wraps
is kinda dangerous thou..

ninja

BlackQuiltBRONZE Member
stranger
19 posts

Posted:
The only problem I see with people constantly spinning fast is that it appears sloppy at times. I'm all for changing speeds depending on the vibe/tempo of the song though.

Trees are the Answer

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
On much thought, I will add this peice of nonsense:

One of the reasons I don't like the idea of spinning fast is the same reason I don't always like a juggling act involving torches or knives....
It's for the audience, not always to show an example of ones skill.

I know this isn't always true, so don't say I said "always" or "everytime" etc etc....

Occasionally when I let someone play with my poi, someone who says they can do some cool moves, I'll just get them spinning a really fast 2 or 3 beat weave, and they are content.
Similarly I've had folks who couldn't juggle ask to "try it with torches", presumably assuming it will be different somehow?

Anyhow, as I said, this isn't always the case, and it can be done well.

I'm going to go play with my squirrelshigi for a little bit. ^_^
Ciao!

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I have to agree with changing the tempo of your spinning. It looks a lot better when you change you tempo really quickly from one extreme to another. Another thing is when you're spinning fast. Learn to stall both of them downwards, but do it well so they stay still when you do it and hold it there for a second. People tend to like it a lot and I personally think it looks really cool.

Another thing is at times it looks a little sloppy. Work hard on your planes, I know a video that should help. Ok I HIGHLY suggest watching this video. In here are some very very important things to know. Yes the beginning is really beginner, you can probably skip a good portion of the beginning.

Also learn to do it cleanly with up-stalls. Clean stalls are a key to looking very good, they just look like they stop and float instead of being forcefully yanked back. Also with that speed, linear isolations and flowers look really good. Well, flowers do if you can do them cleanly, something to work on for sure. And with the linear isolations it's more a a "wtf just happened?" type of thing. (To them at least)

Hope this helps and have fun spinning!

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

bjrcboyBRONZE Member
journeyman
74 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: meshunderlayI'm going to go play with my squirrelshigi for a little bit. ^_^
Ciao!

I just got my squirrelshigi in the mail yesterday! So far I've only mastered the nut in mouth stall.

VerminGOLD Member
10 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitI have to agree with changing the tempo of your spinning. It looks a lot better when you change you tempo really quickly from one extreme to another. Another thing is when you're spinning fast. Learn to stall both of them downwards, but do it well so they stay still when you do it and hold it there for a second. People tend to like it a lot and I personally think it looks really cool.

Another thing is at times it looks a little sloppy. Work hard on your planes, I know a video that should help. Ok I HIGHLY suggest watching this video. In here are some very very important things to know. Yes the beginning is really beginner, you can probably skip a good portion of the beginning.

Also learn to do it cleanly with up-stalls. Clean stalls are a key to looking very good, they just look like they stop and float instead of being forcefully yanked back. Also with that speed, linear isolations and flowers look really good. Well, flowers do if you can do them cleanly, something to work on for sure. And with the linear isolations it's more a a "wtf just happened?" type of thing. (To them at least)

Hope this helps and have fun spinning!

I must absolutely admit, this was not my best run of this song lol. There's a reason for that-
This was my first burn on a new type of poi head for me, as was the weight. I just got them in the mail 4 hours before the show. the particular chain i had had no swivels, causing wavy planes. because of the weight difference, i could not hold the poi handle in the same way as i've always done.
With all of that against me, i call it a success just for not hitting myself or tangling! LOL

but, judging the video as the performance as it is, all of your points and observations are valid. grin

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: VerminHi everyone!
Just sharing a video of me spinning fire poi fast. There tends to not be too many fast spinners and I understand the preference- slower is more beautiful. But are there any others our there that like spinning fast as well?

Not as a rule, but it is fun to spin aggressively. To me that involves sudden fast bursts on important beats, or punctuated stalls or changes between in- and anti-spin. Lots of staccato movements.

But I agree with the other posters, you work the fast spinning in your video. Fast or not, you don't see very many spinning videos with an aggressive tone, so it's nice to see someone make one.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

VerminGOLD Member
10 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Sister Eleven

Not as a rule, but it is fun to spin aggressively. To me that involves sudden fast bursts on important beats, or punctuated stalls or changes between in- and anti-spin. Lots of staccato movements.

But I agree with the other posters, you work the fast spinning in your video. Fast or not, you don't see very many spinning videos with an aggressive tone, so it's nice to see someone make one.

Thanks, man!

You're right, there's not very many aggressive spinners out there. For most people, 'aggressive' means 'negative'. But, it doesn't even need to be negative, like an act of "Anger" or something "Evil" or "Dark". Like for my video, I was a "Conductor" of the intense music. I've listened to classical music all my life and this was my way of 'conducting' the music.

If I make more aggressive choreographs, I'll be sure to post them up, just for the fact that there aren't many out there.

2,280 posts

Posted:
I know I tend to spin more aggressively when I use double loop handles for some reason laugh3

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
nice thread smile

nice performance as well by the way! im no fan of most poi vids but i loved yours smile

ive been spinning very very fast with staffs for ten years now and i have to say i disagree withn the statement "slower is more beuatiful"
personally i think fast fire spinnig (when done well) is as beautiful and powerful as any other type of spinning if not more so.....i also no from the last five years of doing shedloads of shows that audinces LOVE fast spinning.

for me personally as a spinner i love the level of skill required to spin very fast......the un-informed assumse fast spinning is easy but having spent hundreds of hours on the same few tricks trying to get them faster and cleaner i can confidnently say there is as much skill and difficutly in spinning one staff very fast as there is juggling a four staff shower or three staff backcrossess

so for varying the tempo of your spinning....i reckon this vid is well worth a watch, this dude is my favortie poi spinner ever, and works with the best fire crew I've ever seen...

its great to hear people being positive and passionate about fast spinning good work
x smile x

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Thomas is seriously bad-ass. I should watch more of his stuff again.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
First: Wow, that was an awesome video.

Originally Posted By: tim_marston
for me personally as a spinner i love the level of skill required to spin very fast......the un-informed assumse fast spinning is easy but having spent hundreds of hours on the same few tricks trying to get them faster and cleaner i can confidnently say there is as much skill and difficutly in spinning one staff very fast as there is juggling a four staff shower or three staff backcrossess

1: Maybe it's different with staff, but from a poi'ers POV, I always see people assuming fast is harder. I've known people who refuse tips thinking that their fast 3-beat is the cat's meow.

As a juggler, I do understand that nailing the trick is hard, doing it continuously/quickly/properly is harder, so don't get me wrong =).

2: Does staff juggling relate to actual juggling in terms of skill? Ex. If I can juggle proficiently, can I easisly transfer my skill there to staff? *shrug* Just wondering.

Ok, I'm done. Wandering off to find some more of that fellows videos to check out.

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
On closer inspection, I've watched his videos before, but never knew his actual name. ^_^
EDITED_BY: meshunderlay (1289589141)

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
Yes it is a rocking video....

I agree people do assume fast is harder, and whilst they are half wrong, IMO fast and clean is harder than slow and clean because the margin of error is reduced by the momentum of the prop....That said its rare to see fast and clean

I juggle very little with clubs but most staff jugglers do, most trick are considered harder with staffs than with clubs. Clubs need much less room and they also tend to fly much better...the best way Ive heard this explained is that after juggling staffs clubs seem to feel like they want to be juggled....but this inst always the case foot works like in the vid below are harder with clubs than staffs because you dont get the leverage or the purchase

TankboySILVER Member
Resident Demolitions Expert
103 posts

Posted:
There is no censored way that spinning fast is as hard as juggling 4 anything.

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
so my own personal experience is clearly wrong and i bow down to both your wisdom and humilty with love and respect you numpty wink

2,280 posts

Posted:
Idk I found juggling relatively easy COMPARED TO (was not easy!) poi. Of course that's only juggling 3 balls in a basic cascade. Also depends on what you're more naturally talented at I guess, or how you might say, "Which toy is for you." But learning to have good control over poi is very difficult and takes lots of time smirk

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Juggling 3 balls in cascade is pretty much comparitive to spinning both poi forwards in same time, boring. ^_^

I'm a club man myself, there are countless 3 ball tricks I've avoided because I think clubs overall are prettier.

On a side note, juggling 4 balls is pretty easy, but that's just my opinion.

When you get into crazy artistic juggling moves, I would think learning a certain maneuver in poi or juggling would be just as challanging to learn.

On a SIDE side note, yes, kickups and such are fun, but it does look like with staves it would be a bit easier.

The HardstyleKidstranger
16 posts

Posted:
naa dude i'm totaly with you i refuse to spin poi slow as i'm a child of hardstlye keep up the good work dude......

i love the tune to that one but its not my best performance lol

this one u might like, but i need to get new fire poi my burn time is naff frown

and as u can see from this vid i suck at the whole slow poi tongue2