Forums > Technical Discussion > Braided fire snakes, less exposed hardware.

Login/Join to Participate

Meltystranger
5 posts

Posted:
images turned out giant, resizing to more appropriate dimensions.

Pictures after 7 or 8 burns.

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Has anyone else made a pair of these?

The weave is 2 pieces of 1/4in kevlar run through a welded steel loop and the 4 resulting lengths are weaved into each other.

The leashes came with nylon handles, and i didn't like them as much as my old ghetto home made handles so i put them on there.

The wicks are not as heavy as i thought they would be,and i like that the only exposed metal on the wick is the ring. When i eventually replace them or make another set i am probably going to try and find a loop smaller than this one to further minimize it.

I ended up just weaving my own snakes because i liked the guide on this one more than the other methods using a single large rope with the large mental head to attach the leash to. That is a lot of fire right up against a fairly large metal connector, the fire doesn't scare me, very hot metal does.

I do wish HoP would stock the 1/4in rope.

Total cost of this project, including shipping was a little under $60 USD.

Need to get some ball bearing swivels though.

EDITED_BY: Melty (1285434299)

LyeFate Keeps Telling Me To Stop
270 posts

Posted:
Those are similar to mine, except mine have big knots at the end for added weight. I suppose I'll upload some images later today. I like the snake style, I can do spiral wrap with them.

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
For bigger fire, instead of using a tornado stitch, use a 4 plait braid for some insane fire wink Also less Kevlar is used and that leaves it more affordable for me to make it nice and long like I like it.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

DanwoodzSILVER Member
stranger
14 posts

Posted:
They look really good for home-made ones. any vids of them being used? they look like they're a bit short to do some moves like orbitals?

Meltystranger
5 posts

Posted:
No video, i will try and get someone to upload some though.

With the ball chain its probably better to avoid orbitals, but it is very possible to do buzzsaw and some other internal stuff if your careful about it.

I had never seen anyone do a buzzsaw with fire snakes, not even on film and it looks pretty epic. Imagine a large disc of fire.

I took them to a regional burn, smaller festival but same principals of burning man and let a lot of fire spinners play with them, everyone i let play with them loved it. Some found them to be a little bit light and suggested version 2 be capable of connecting a standard poi wick to the end.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Aghem wink You see it in here, I've done it as well too. quite warm and gets people's eyes popping.

johndhaiveGOLD Member
Kebab Embalmer
316 posts

Posted:
melty: how long is each 1/4 rope? i wanna make one! yah, i got the 1 inch rope but i wasn't impressed with it.. too large exposed metal. .

SOD: how long for each strand should i use if i'm gonna make the 4 plait braid?

Tam tam tam cheketitamtam, ketumpantam, ketumpan kete kete kete, tam tam tam ketumpanketey!

270 posts

Posted:
censored I forgot to take pictures of mine. Today I will!

2,280 posts

Posted:
@john I have no clue. Depends on how long you want it I guess. And what he did was not a 4 plait braid, but what nevisoul is using is. And it's with 3/8 inch rope. For the 4plait braid I don't suggest any smaller than 3/8" rope because of the burn time issue of snakes. I myself would be fine with 3/8" but would not mind it bigger at all wink 1/4" I just wouldn't do.

Meltystranger
5 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: johndhaivemelty: how long is each 1/4 rope? i wanna make one! yah, i got the 1 inch rope but i wasn't impressed with it.. too large exposed metal. .

SOD: how long for each strand should i use if i'm gonna make the 4 plait braid?

Total rope length purchased was 40 feet. It is then cut into four 10 foot sections. 2 lengths of rope are run through the loop and and knotting is started. Im not sure of the name of the knot used but i can link you to the tutorial of it.

20 feet per wick results in a wick that is 14-15 inches long.

2,280 posts

Posted:
The stitch you used was the circle stitch wink

johndhaiveGOLD Member
Kebab Embalmer
316 posts

Posted:
thanks guys! i would surely use 3/8's... gotta have to get some donations first. beerchug

Tam tam tam cheketitamtam, ketumpantam, ketumpan kete kete kete, tam tam tam ketumpanketey!

270 posts

Posted:
Well I lied. But I'm posting them now! Probably burned like 20 or so times. In great shape.

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

The end weight is good, they're still hella light. I can do spiral wraps with them! Sweeet

The second version of them that I made is better, but I can't take a picture of them as they are a gift and I am trying to get some sort of surprise for giving toys that are like more than a year late. Will post pictures when I send them off.
EDITED_BY: Lye (1288233226)