Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > How do i weight to my staff?

Login/Join to Participate

Calvnewbie
15 posts

Posted:
My home made staff did me proud last night and the few who used it said it was real good for a first effort. I want it a tiny bit heavier though but i'm unsure how i can do this. The middle has dowelling the entire length, it does'nt have wicks on the end as i'm not going near fire for a while yet, instead it just has a few inches of pipe insulation wrapped around the ends more for protection than anything else.

What do you do to add weight? I'm not too keen on getting a thicker bar as my 3/4 inch pipe does me nicely. The only other pipe in the shop was iron, but that looked and felt a lot more bendable than what i'm using. Then again, i guess theres more chance of strain injuries with a heavy one.

Decisions decisions confused

Calv.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
why don;t you add wicks, there's no need to light them if the time isn't right.
the benefit will be that you will be perfectly conditioned to the wieghting when the time comes to spark up. just be careful about fraying - practice with the wicks covered or over grass.

i like yoo.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
my practice staffs are just made out of broomsticks of varying lengths and thicknesses, gives me a good variation of weight/length etc..... means also I can use a lighter staff for practising a new move or a heavier staff for building up stamina biggrin

Calvnewbie
15 posts

Posted:
Thanks for that, i'll have a think about the wicks but i know what i'm like, and the slightest bit of skill i gain, i'll be too tempted to light up! Burns unit here i come!

I may have a look at thicker and heavier pipes actualy, i like the idea of it being used as a form of fitness as well as an art.

Thanks again,

Calv.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
... with fuel, my wicks were (are?) always significantly heavier than without... enough to seriously affect my spinning... is this actually not normal?

I mean, I enjoy practicing with peoples lightweight firestaffs, but I always assumed it was a bit impractical cause mine's nothing like that lit....

do i just make seriously retarded staffs?

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Calvnewbie
15 posts

Posted:
I'm thinking of glueing a few 1p coins together and padding them out so they fit exactly into the end of my staff, that should add a fair bit of weight to it.

Calv.

MrFirenewbie
6 posts

Posted:
regarding the fuel, paraffin weighs about .817g/ml so if your wicks hold a litre of fuel then this could be almost a kg of extra weight. More likely to hold about half a litre or less total though so this would be about 200g extra weight on each end - enough to make a noticable difference anyways.
I find that the drag caused by the flames is the most significable factor when lit tho

PS: Calv, it's not actually all that easy to hospitalise youself spinning firestaff, so long as you have 28g or so of common sense, so get yourmates together and give it a go cool
Just wear a hat - hair burns much much better than skin

'Bother!' Said Pooh, pawing at the chains wrapped around him, 'Piglet, could you pass me the fire blanket?'

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
*bump*

My current 1.5m staff could use a bit more weight for contact. I spent a lot of time with it practicing while covering the wicks with thick socks adding weight and a LOT of drag. Upon removing the socks from my staff during a practice session, it took off and nearly ended up next door. ubblol

Weighting suggestions? smile

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

KonstantinGOLD Member
journeyman
66 posts

Posted:
My new practice double is allmost 800g each, nearly as fueled kevlar ones
Big contact staff also 800g for now.
And new big single somewhere about 3kg when fueled (uses about 2.5-3litres of kero biggrin )
I think, you should just train not to depend on staff weight too much. Anyway, when burned, it loses at leas 1/3 of it's weight when fuel goes out.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Brenn

Weighting suggestions? smile

you could sink some heavy blts into the ends if you have a wooden core and you don't think it will interfere with the attachment of the kevlar... other than that theres not much, maybe re-wick it with bigger wicks hug

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

FlameSILVER Member
addict
435 posts

Posted:
I was given a suggestion the other day for me making a practice staff and (tries to think who told her) but try wrapping cloth as if it wwere wicks and tape it up this would give nerly the same weight as wicks - maybe see thread practice staff?

Hope this hellps good luck smile

*In the car while Pink is playing on the radio*
Tristan aged 4 : "Mum is this Pink?"
Flame:"Yes mate this is Pink?"
Tristan:"Are you going to Pink?"
Flame:"Yes i am"
Tristan:"Cool well I'm going to BLUE" smile

DaGGOLD Member
Golf buggie driving instructor
156 posts

Posted:
bicycle inner-tubes!

FREE when you go to a bike shop and ask for old ones
and it is quite dense so it carries a bit more weight than wicking,
but hey you can put as much or as little as you want on... cause its free!

I even put a length around my wicks to add extra weight and protection.

you just have to make one cut up one side and then its perfect!

did i mention its FREE!!!

woah I'm post whoring today.

PJB21experamentalist and chucker
21 posts

Posted:
when i got a practise contact staff it came with large rubber weights on each end, sounds complex but its made by taping one end of a strip down then winding it round like a wick before taping off again. combined with the wooden stick it makes for quite a nice weight, great for me anyways... but yeah you could do a similar thing, maybe if rubber strips are hard tog et hold of you could sue something else, old sock/clothing in strips, maybe tin foil? haha you'd probably need a fair bit of it though.... dunno just an idea, alternatively see below...

of course if its already got wicks then that's more difficult, i suggest (if its got wood dowels in the end which it should) getting a self tapping screw and some big heavy washers, then drilling a pilot hole and screwing that in the ends for some nice extra weight that doesn't mess us the wicks nor change them at all =)

PJB21

letitburnslacker of biblical proportions
44 posts

Posted:
just wing it

float like a butterfly and sting like when i pee

Icarus FordeBRONZE Member
Just Icarus//Spinner//Pyro//Geek
261 posts

Posted:
Ok, so this is the budget way of doing it...

But if you only need a little bit of weight, old AA batteries are useful with a bit of electrical/duct tape. tongue2

Hey, it works, right? grin

letitburnslacker of biblical proportions
44 posts

Posted:
sounds ghetto but then again i was using denim for wicks at one point

float like a butterfly and sting like when i pee

Igneas TempestasGOLD Member
Just a few more minutes... zzzzz
16 posts

Posted:
Just made a contact staff for playing around with at home. Dowel from B&Q, sprayed metallic blue with racket grip tape in the middle, and 2 thick rolls of duct tape at each end to make the weighed 'wick' bit. Works well smile shame about the idiot spinning it though

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
go to a bike store and get some of their old inner tubes. Cut the tubes to make them wider. wrap around ends and tape.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

DaGGOLD Member
Golf buggie driving instructor
156 posts

Posted:
ohhh I have taken to usinf Carpet to weight my contact staffs

because it adds volume as well as mass (and drag) it makes a nice slow spinning controlled staff that rolls slower and with more controll.

just attach a strip to each end that is about 10 cm by 30-40cm and itll be great.

EmmCeeeFFBRONZE Member
145 posts

Posted:
I would agree with Dag and say head to your local bike shop and ask for some old inner tubes.. Just cut out the little air intake and then add a strip of duck tape to hold the frist part of the inner tube down, wraper the inner tube around the end of teh staff tightly and then add another layer of duck tape on the outside to hold it all together...

There is a tutorial video of this on youtube by the guys from flowtoys, can't pull it up at the moment as I am at work, but it's out there somewhere

If i had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isnt. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldnt be. And what it wouldnt be, it would. You see?