Forums > Videos > What is this move??

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Dave StatikGOLD Member
You cant teach stupid.
106 posts

Posted:
Can someone please post/link a tutorial on this crosser like move that petey does starting just before 4:20. It looks sick, but i am unable to break it down. Thank you.

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
I'm sure its in a pretty vague area of poi, as far as classification is concerned. its got flower-like elements, in that there are compound circles. it has a whole bunch of hybrid-ish stuff going on, which could place it in there. I'm also sure many people out there could find a relevant name for it depending on where there interests lie.

As far as im concerned, its a hybrid flower, with a specific order of arm placement. I'm no good at naming things, so I'd probably go with 'hybrid-flower no.7'

I'm not sure if there are 6 preceding it, but '7' is a great number, so i shall henceforth refer to it as such.

let me know if theres anything else i can help with..

petey hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

leospoiSILVER Member
Poi explorer
108 posts

Posted:
I would just leave it as a hybrid fountain. Trying to attach too many complex names and descriptions for the name of a move does not facilitate conceptualizing or actually doing it.

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I still have no idea what is going on o0

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: David_Pearsonugh. its in the flower family?? o man, i cant even see that. lol. wow. i cant even fathum what it would look like. I have more learning to do.

Insofar as fountains and meltdowns are. They're just out of phase flower patterns that pass behind the body (pairs of five-petal and one-petal in-spin flowers, respectively). I find it useful to think of things in terms of flowers when I want to filter out the behind/in front components. Though as Pete Leo notes, there are pedagogical reasons to think of my two example moves as their own things, even if technically they can be classified as flowers.
EDITED_BY: Sister Eleven (1277012254)
EDIT_REASON: misattribution

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

Dave StatikGOLD Member
You cant teach stupid.
106 posts

Posted:
haha. man, im sorry but i dont know what censored you just said, haha. its my fault tho. I spend more time with my poi than the actual bookwork. not saying your the opposed, just saying terminology beyond names of well know tricks and theories and stuff like that is over my head. looks like this grasshopper will need to learn if he's gonna hang out in these forums, tongue2

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I still have no clue whats going in laugh3

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
.. Now I'm more confused than before aswell laugh3.. I recorded myself doing it the way I thought it's done, and I keep comparing it to Pete's video and I can't see a difference (apart from the fact that my isolations obviously aren't as good). But now that Pete described it in words, it's not the way I do it.. Frustration prevails grin ..
I mean, is this not the move?
I know the video is choppy and bad quality but I think you can tell where each poi is going.
If this is not it, I think I need to see an optician, because I watched the clips side by side for like 15 mins..

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Without having picked up my poi and having only glanced over this thread for about a minute, I don't believe they're the same, ReVo.

In your video you seem to keep the poi in the same positions relative to your arms and since peteys appears to be a tight (potentially semi-isolated) pattern on a fountain they can't be the same.

I really don't have the language to explain this one, its only immediately familiar to me because I've stolen a movement from petey that has the same kind of behind the backyness to it in an inverted waistwrap position.

Now... correct me if I'm wrong, Pete... but it looks like theres actually two different variations on this that you do...

Top half has the full positionings, both poi go behind the back on the top side, but on the bottom the right poi bypasses the position at your right hip...

It almost looks like it could be an upside down version of that inverted waistwrap...

I'll come back after I've had a play!!

hug

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
To clarify what I'm doing, laying it out in the same style as Pete.. After the snakes, I go:
left hand - right armpit
right hand - right shoulder
left hand - left armpit
..and into the buzzsaw.

I acknowledge that in the end Pete is the authority on what's happening in that move, and god forbid I don't pretend like I know what I'm talking about more than he does. But for the life of me I do not see the left poi go over the left shoulder at any point of the move or near the move in that video.. nor the right poi going under the left armpit.
I'm seriously starting to question my own sanity here..

leospoiSILVER Member
Poi explorer
108 posts

Posted:
@Teamo. Yeah you're still sane. It's the same pattern in regards to where the plane the poi are in but not the positioning of your hands and arms. You start correctly with snakes and then the crosser beat but then you go into a regular reel with your hands beside your neck. Your hands actually need to be in the middle of your chest and your poi need to pass under your elbows when going behind your back.

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
Teamo: your positioning of hands is ever so slightly off..

above, you specified:
left hand - right armpit
left hand - left armpit

whereas it should in fact be:
left hand - right armpit
**left hand - left shoulder
**right hand - left armpit

To get the left poi from R-armpit to L-shoulder, you need to kick your right elbow behind you a little bit. If you turn towards your right as the left poi is coming out from under your R-armpit, this should give you the space you need to get out.

In order to get on top of the L-shoulder, you want to turn back towards your left.

This is a motion that comes really naturally with a lot of contact staff, and probably where i got the influence from..

let me know how that goes for you.. im still in exam mode (only one more to go) but when im free i'll try and stick a little thing together.

more than happy to clarify further if needed smile

petey hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
P.S.

if it helps, check out the 'Church of Poi' video Brett and I stuck together a little while back (search youtube.. you'll find it)

Around 1:35, I'm standing on a watertank playing with big, slow, fluffy poi.

The specific thing in question isnt done there (though it may be later in that video.. what do i know laugh3 ) but theres a lot of stuff that (in my mind) is of very similar theory.. If you look closely, you can see how the hybrids somewhat lead into and feel like what we've been discussing..

See if that helps at all smile

take it easy guys

petey hug

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
Alright, thanks to both of you.

Pete, so in your diagram you didn't equate "left hand" to mean "left poi"? I did at first, and that's the main reason I got confused.
If not, then I'm relieved and content with the fact that it's just my arm and hand placement that needs work. Because it irritates me a lot more when I don't understand a move than when I can't yet do it.
If you do infact equate "left hand" to mean "left poi" and "right hand" to mean "right poi", then I'm just as confused as before. Because you say the left hand goes from under right armpit to above the left shoulder, and the right hand goes from above the right shoulder to under the left armpit.. but I don't see that happening in the video. And I think Leospoi agreed with me on this.

Anyway, I'm thankful for the help. I do see you're honestly trying, my skull is just a bit thick sometimes. tongue2

DekanSILVER Member
stranger
8 posts

Posted:
looks like an inverted weave brought to a crosser. this would help explain the arm positioning.

Page: