Page:
MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
it might be cool to have spin off competitions anyone else think so?

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I like the same background song thing. That would solve the time problem and compare to see who matches up to what. But what if you have two people that don't like to spin to similar music? Like if I were to be forced to do it to Dubstep, I would not do well at all, I hear Dubstep and nothing somes out. It's just unspinnable to me. Should we just play that by ear?

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

RivesGOLD Member
Nothing but circles and smiles...
118 posts

Posted:
of coarse we should grin

these are not laws, they are ideas, suggestions to make this whole thing more FUN. each challenge can have its own set of rules agreed upon by the participants, and then shared when the video is posted, so every one else knows whats up when they watch it.

happy spinning
EDITED_BY: Rives (1281585544)
EDIT_REASON: to get out the nonsense

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: EpitomeOfNoviceLOL I don't know anyone IRL who even does throws and I'm pretty green in fire land compared to them, but I'm going to hang in there and try not to be as easy of a kill to the tech spinner regardless...

Unless Sister Eleven is a little nervous without her power play to fall back on... tongue2

*crosses fingers style, flair, and attitude can level the playing field*

A little nervous, yeah, actually tongue2. It's not too uncommon for me to start into one of the two contact moves I know, only to quickly go "wait, fire doesn't roll very well! Also it burns me!" and mess up trying to change my move. I expect this to happen more than a little with throws tongue2

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

2,280 posts

Posted:
Strap your poi onto your hands tongue2

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Bwahahaha....

That is all.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitStrap your poi onto your hands tongue2

Haha exactly! If she ditches the throws her problem should be solved... wink

How about this for an option Sister Eleven, we each do two videos but they count as one submission. One video will be classic monkey fists with no throws submitted by both of us, the second video you can do throws/contact until your heart is content against my torch poi so I can do catches and alternate moves as well. People will vote for whoever they liked better based on our overall submissions with an old school and new school video coming from us both. smile

What do you think? Or is this too complicated?

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure how ditching throws solves the problem of being awkward because I can't do throws, exactly... tongue2

And nah, I'm not trying to talk my way into throws. The original terms are fine.

787 posts

Posted:
Okay, original plan it is! grin

You know me and how I try to cover all the bases preemptively... LOL tongue2

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

787 posts

Posted:
Baton down the hatches!!! The eminent battle is drawing near so hold onto your hats! grin *will be uploading on Sunday*

~Rock on!~

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
What? Baton twirl with hatches...how does that work tongue2

would rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal lobotomy

"The dangers of life are infinate and among them is safety"(geothe)

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Rives and I have been talking. I still need to get some footage, since I caught a fever last weekend, but something will be done, promise. smile

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
I may be running late with mine. I lost a night of filming 'cause my camera operator/girlfriend got strep and had to sleep. Hopefully she's free this weekend, or I can talk someone else into shooting. Tuesday or Thursday will be my upload days.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Hehe, I'm open for whatever. I would probably get filming done at a Monday practice. As during school it is my only time specifically devoted to poi and other related things.

787 posts

Posted:
Unfortunately serious stuff effecting my life, living situation, and future have had a devastating blow which is common in military families to have transitions and paperwork screwed up. Until all of this mess is straightened out I cannot follow through because I just don't have it in me, all of my focus is on damage control.

When everything is sorted out and I have a lot more answers and fiscal stability after an appeals process, I'll be more than happy to start being back to my old self, it's just been snatched up for a little bit. frown

~Rock on!~

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
It's all good. I didn't get my video shot quite as I was hoping, but I can use the footage as my ~1yr video... I'm open to other challengers, and best wishes EoN.

I am also changing my medium of choice to glow/practice poi. Filming fire is just a hassle, since it's hard to drum up a cameraperson on the one night of the week I can do fire.
EDITED_BY: Sister Eleven (1282810784)

poismylovepoi addict
196 posts

Posted:
cool idea as long as they are friendly competitionship with good sportsmanship grin
im down for a challenge bounce2

to spin or not to spin, that is the question.

poismylovepoi addict
196 posts

Posted:
okay ive super bored cuz i have nothing new to learn until i fix up a bunch of sloppy moves so i challenge someone to a match because i needs a challenge.
someone, anyone, challenge me? ill let you pick all the rules

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
I'll bite. I've been waiting for another challenger, and what I've got on you in tech you might make up for in movement (srsly, I'm such a cruddy dancer). I'm opting for practice poi (for reasons mentioned above, fire is a pain in the ass), footage being from a continuous session (editing in title screens or credits is ok), 3-5 minutes. I'm open to suggestions for theme and such. Myself, I will probably be costumed for no apparent reason.

787 posts

Posted:
Sis11 I will have footage in some way shape or form to match what you put up tonight and from here on out I'm making my preference glow for the exact same reasons. My dancing is cruddy on grass actually R U Game for a compare and contrast?

~Rock on!~

poismylovepoi addict
196 posts

Posted:
k, sounds good smile and does it matter what kind of practice poi? socks? tennis ball on string?
and idk anything about themes really so you can pick. and we have to pick a song. you can pick if u want.
lol ive never dressed up for poi before. i will wear a fuzzy hat and sweat pants grin

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Poismylove: any kind of practice poi; I'll probably be using inner tube poi or contact poi. I don't want to set a specific song, but let's since we have a mutual love of Beats Antique, let's say our videos have to be to one of their songs--and not Beauty Beats, Roustabout, Dope Crunk, or Nesatavo; all other songs are fair game.

EoN: I'm up for a critical compare & contrast. Can't wait to see your vid!

poismylovepoi addict
196 posts

Posted:
amazing choice of music clap grrrr beauty beats makes for amazing flowy poi, but i have another faveorite from them too.
ive been practicing putting lots of dancy footwork into my poi sessions lately so i can bring some sort of advantage to this thing smile
Ill go record tommorow probably if im in a good poi mood. my sound quality will probably be horrible though since i dont have editing software for my video camera, and i have to record the song on my phone and then play it back by setting the phone next to the video camera.

and cant wait to see both of your videos grin

787 posts

Posted:
Oh snap here it go, half way in I bring da funk... Servage right on up in dis hizzzzzzouse!!!!!!!!!!! grin

Ok Sis, post up ya linkage!!!

~Rock on!~

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:

Here it is. Don't think it's very good, and the encoding from putting in the text kind of crapped out the quality. Not to mention the song on the video doesn't really match the song I was spinning to; I just couldn't hear the original song in the video to find something that matched tongue2 It's what I got, though!

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: poismyloveamazing choice of music clap grrrr beauty beats makes for amazing flowy poi, but i have another faveorite from them too.
ive been practicing putting lots of dancy footwork into my poi sessions lately so i can bring some sort of advantage to this thing smile
Ill go record tommorow probably if im in a good poi mood. my sound quality will probably be horrible though since i dont have editing software for my video camera, and i have to record the song on my phone and then play it back by setting the phone next to the video camera.

and cant wait to see both of your videos grin

I had to outlaw those particular songs because they are DONE TO DEATH. tongue2 Beats Antique is huge with the spinners here, and those are the songs that end up on everyone's playlist. Me, I'm going to go for something off the new album...

I'll try and film some time this week or next, weather permitting. Hopefully my footwork is coming along okay. And hopefully I'm not sleep deprived when I shoot so I don't have godawful triquetras like I do in the video I shot for my challenge with EoN tongue2

787 posts

Posted:
Hearing the music and "not disturbing neighbors" is a challenge for me too! tongue2 None the less, radically different approaches and I'm very interested in how the feedback goes with such a wildcard match up! Good game hug

~Rock on!~

poismylovepoi addict
196 posts

Posted:
you both did an awsome job!!
oh and sister11 let me know when you have your vid done so i can upload mine.
EDITED_BY: poismylove (1285604610)

poismylovepoi addict
196 posts

Posted:
okay i have the video done, but i screwed up a few times but oh well, too lazy to redo it.

poismylovepoi addict
196 posts

Posted:
this thread is so forgotten, i thought it was a great idea for posting vids and comparing and getting into good discussions on style and moves and such. oh wells here is my vid anyway. everything i did came out sloppy i think haha(note to self: do not poi under the influence when videotaping)

787 posts

Posted:
I tried to remind the others, you should too. I'm upload a tech vid and posting form my phone it'll be on FBwhen it's done i'd like some identifations on moves sometime smile

~Rock on!~

Page: