Page:
LkLjourneyman
79 posts

Posted:
Hey guys sorry if this post has already been brought up, i did search for it, but at the same time im currently filling out apps online so i'm starting to get kinda lazy bout reading. 4th one today, online apps suck, they take like an hour to do.... *sigh*...
Anywho,
My question is today in the mail my new poi just came in.
https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Pair-of-Cone-poi
Its for my bday but my bday doesnt come for another cpl weeks and i was just checking out the stuff and making sure everything was nice and to my liking. I'm use to homemade sock poi, but i ordered the cone poi with 2 leather loops for handles.
i how ever dont really care for the handle.

i am use to sock poi and made the knots at the bottom so it seems that i would probably enjoy the ball handles alot better.

https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Pair-of-wooden-ball-handle-with-Swivels
i was curious if i could switch the ball handle out with the loops on the set i bought or if i should suck up the two loops for handles

Stangostranger
5 posts

Posted:
price wise i really don't think there worth it, but you should always spin with whats more comfortable for you, if your used to spinning with a knot the try going to a local home improvement store or a craft store buy a wooden ball that feels good in your hand and 2 eye screws. would only cost yea like $5. plus you get to sorta see how they feel in the store. plus it looks like the swivels on those handles are welded on so your probably have to break the swivel.

noramosGOLD Member
stranger
20 posts

Posted:
Buy the ball handles without the bearing. Then you can either open the eye bolt with pliers and thread on the bearing, or you can use a quick link to connect the handles to the poi.

God speed and happy spinning

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
wood balls tend to sting if you do release and catches; they're also very smooth and hard, which can make them slippery. Simple solutions?:

- length of thin rope and rubber caps for stools/chairs.
- small rubber ball with a hole drilled in it for whatever attachment: eyebolts, rope, etc.
- tie a small monkeyfist knot
-drop a hackey/footbag in a sock and tie it to the poi link (cut off the excess sock)

Im of the opinion that you should avoid eyebolts whenever possible because the chafe a lot on the fingers wherever you are holding them. Some flexibility makes spinning easier to keep up for longer.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

LkLjourneyman
79 posts

Posted:
the hackey sock end for a handle?
i've never even thought of that, i've seen videos with people spinning socks like that but i never really thought much of it like being a handle but i guess it makes since now.
i think i'm going to experiment with that and maybe small-midsize rubber bouncey balls would work with an eye screw in them

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
I use the rubber stoppers and rope on my fire poi. I find them in different sizes and they are perfect for hiding washers, if you want to add counter-weight.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

DrexFactorGOLD Member
Defeats the purpose
73 posts

Posted:
I've used those cone poi with balls since the first generation when they were still using the crappy swivels (which are now nearly ground completely out of their sockets) and between balls and stoppers, I'm pretty agnostic. The material that plugs the poi inside your hand seems not nearly as important to me as the hardware that connects it to the rest of your poi. As noted above, the eyebolts tend to chafe the hands a bit with rigorous practice, but it'll be a problem you'll have whether you make your own ball handles or use HoP's. I like the stoppers because when running rope through them to swivels, they feel more like sock handles than any other handle solution I've ever found.

I think you'll be fine with either option, but the stopper handles would require a bit of work and it looks like the strap handles would be the easier ones to make this change to. If you want less work on your end, the ball handles will likely work fine once you get used to them. If you don't mind a bit of a project, stopper handles are quick and easy to make but I warn you you'll probably like them so much you'll want to stick them on your fire poi as well.

Good luck!

Peace,
Drex

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I use a length of chain attached to a swivel, then the rest of my poi (on my fire set, but it'd work on a normal set) Its nice to grip, its the most like socks that I've ever come across. I have those chains long, so I can wrap my fingers around them, but you could make the chain shorter and it may be acceptable as a counterweight.

hug

LkLjourneyman
79 posts

Posted:
hmm do the stoppers look anything like these
https://abc.eznettools.net/teohbrothers/images/catalog/rubber_stopper.jpg
just trying to get an idea, im still waiting on my bday to come along so i can actually play with and adjust my poi
but looking at options to help me out

DrexFactorGOLD Member
Defeats the purpose
73 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Jimtuckethmm do the stoppers look anything like these
https://abc.eznettools.net/teohbrothers/images/catalog/rubber_stopper.jpg
just trying to get an idea, im still waiting on my bday to come along so i can actually play with and adjust my poi
but looking at options to help me out

These are the ones I'm talking about: https://people.tribe.net/alien_jon/photos/8250ef13-c387-4734-89b9-16522047721a

I've never found a hardware store where you can't find them. You just then have to use a power drill to put a hole through the middle.

Peace,
Drex

noramosGOLD Member
stranger
20 posts

Posted:
I used a exacto knife to make a small rectangular hole to push the ring of a ball bearing swivel through. Then on the inside, to secure the swivel, I attached a leather double loop handle with a triangle quick link.

The rubber knob is perfect for throws (too bad I was an idiot when I was at the hardware store and bought black). When holing just the rubber knob, the leather is nice to wrap my other fingers through.

When my palms get sweaty, I just slip a finger or two in the loops and I have no worries about sending my fire poi rocketing to disaster.

Thanks for the ideas!

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
I have a design for handle that I'm perfecting- once I'm done (shouldn't be long) I'll share the design- it can be glow or not, incorporates a swivel and could potentially be used for fire equipment as well smile

Watch this space smile

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Sounds intriguing. smile Looking forward to seeing it.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

LkLjourneyman
79 posts

Posted:
do the stoppers work well for keyhold grip as well?

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Yeah. I use white rubber doorstops and those work with a keyhold grip.

noramosGOLD Member
stranger
20 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Those look reasonably practical. smile

noramosGOLD Member
stranger
20 posts

Posted:
I put them on my last two fingers, facing palm side. The handle just falls into the hand. I love it

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
My issue is blisters from the chains if I use balls. Need to get some sort of covering I think.

LkLjourneyman
79 posts

Posted:
ok, so here is one thing that doesn't work.

Non-Https Image Link
Rubber balls, iscrews, and zip ties. The zip ties, work great, the rubber balls were nice for tossing, the i screws perfect size, but...
It appears the rubber balls arent man enough for the swing of the poi.
I even tried super glue inside the hole and around the iscrew, but it strips out.
I had about 3 minutes of swing.
I was looking around walmart yesterday for some rubber stoppers but im not clear to what section to look for them... however i'm also walmarts worst shopper, send me in with a list of 6 items and ill be back in 2 hrs....
EDITED_BY: Jimtucket (1254864557)

LkLjourneyman
79 posts

Posted:
so i busted out with the drill and i drill a hole through the bouncy balls and came out with this,
Non-Https Image Link

now im debating wether or not to loop both the strings through the swivel or knot the top end and loop the bottom through the swivel. any opinions?
EDITED_BY: Jimtucket (1254866609)

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Hardware stores? The stoppers used for the bottoms of couches and other furniture items? Those could work. smile

hug

TideGOLD Member
Future pyrotechnician...? Or something.
111 posts

Posted:
Have you considered piercing all the way through the ball and then bolting or bending the end over?

Make sure to really smooth the end bit to prevent the stab factor.

This statement is false...?

noramosGOLD Member
stranger
20 posts

Posted:
That's what I used. My pic is on page 1

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
ever considered cricket balls? or squash?

there are some special type of screws that vanish inside the (hollow) ball but I wouldn't have an idea what these'd be called...

IMHO you can do both on that rubber ball... only the cotton string might not hold forever any which way.

if you find your fingers getting worn excessively you might consider putting some "chain condom" from cotton...

shrug hope that's still PG wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

LkLjourneyman
79 posts

Posted:
im from texas, cricket balls/squash im not familiar with at all. I dont think the sports are very popular around the us and/or the texas area. so far the shoe strings are holding up, i found some rubber stoppers as well for free from a buddy of mine he had laying around his house. They were a little large, busted out a knife and shaved them down some. They are pretty nice, but i want to shave them down some more and put the super grip 3000 adjustment(im just trying to spice it up) on them for my fingers see how that goes, on pay day im thinking bout going down to hardware store and find some really nice rubber stoppers, or maybe a furniture store may even have them.

foggy soxGOLD Member
stranger
14 posts

Posted:
ogg poi to ogg poi . did this with mine and a friends ogg poi from flowtoys.com. the feal and ballance was unbeatable

ravers dont trip they drop and roll

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
I've now got a set of pictures showing how I built the glow variant of the handles I'm using- should i go for a YouTube video with static pictures or a static document? Any preferences? I like the idea of the youtube vid just for the ease of sharing, but without animation I wonder if a set article/ document would be better...

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
A article with photos would be easier to refer back to if I were to replicate your design. smile

It'd likely find more people on Youtube though.

hug

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
I totally agree- Youtube would get the traffic, but an article would be the easiest thing to follow. I'll probably just put a little demo video of them on Youtube and link from there to the article (wherever it ends up).

This is all irrelevant if no-one wants to make them smile Here are a couple of pics to give you an idea of what they're like:

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Would be interested in seeing them at least. smile

Page: