Forums > Technical Discussion > Fire effects for marking perimeters

Login/Join to Participate

ufo8mycatBRONZE Member
journeyman
60 posts

Posted:
A question I think can be easily answered - I just can't find one!

Running a show outside with an audience of 500 people - I want to make a semi-circular ring of flame around them on the ground that can be lit off the staff of a single performer in the centre.

How would you advise this to be done? It's on grass so I don't want to leave scorched earth, needs to take quickly but stay safe.

I'm a bit stumped!

Any thoughts or previous experience would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks
xA

it's not that i mean to set things on fire...

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Hmm - without wanting to scorch the grass is tricky, as you're then looking into metal structures with wicking attached.
If you can't mark the grass at all, it would really need to be kevlar as towelling would disintergrate and fall onto the grass.

To make them quick lighting, you can use a more volatile fuel over a paraffin base - e.g. you could use lighter-fuel on one end to make sure that it catches quickly, then just let the paraffin do the rest of the work.

If this is going to be infront of the stage, you'll want to consider smoke as well - don't want to blind/choke the audiance (or performer).

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
I'd use some 2x1, cut into 6" lengths & notched at one end, stake that into the ground & string some hessian or cheap rope (not polyester) along the top.

Do make sure nobody is sat too close when you light it though.

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
We just use individual tiki's. I wouldn't want them to be looking at me through a wall of smoke!

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
I use those wicker torches you can get from the garden center.

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

ThelemicPotterSILVER Member
29 posts

Posted:
White paper bags, filled with an inch of sand, with a tea light or votive candle. Luminaries are easy, effective, and cheap.

jimwalkerburn baby burn
6 posts

Posted:
RE: PAPER BAGS
THIS IS A REALLY GOOD IDEA- I'VE USED PAPER BAGS TO MARK OUT PATHS AND LABYRINTHS AND IS REALLY EFFECTIVE- TEA LIGHTS LAST FOR AGES AND ANY PAPER BAG WILL DO...THE STRIPEY ONES FROM SWEET SHOPS OR BROWN ONES FROM MARKETS ARE EXCELLENT-

ALSO ITS PRETTY SIMPLE TO LIFT THE TURF A SPADES WIDTH IF YOU GAN GET PERMISSION AND HAVE A LITTLE TIME!!

life is like a box of chocolates- i like the fruity bits..