Page:
cherrybombstranger
6 posts

Posted:
ok, this has probably been asked a ton of times before...

i guess i'm okay practicing out in the park without fire. i can just wear headphones to ward off nosy question-askers and i don't mind looking like a weirdo.

but where can i practice with fire when i choose to do so? i'm in north jersey right outside nyc, and i have access to beaches. what are the laws on fire? is it illegal to practice fire poi/staff in public? :\ i live in an apartment so i don't really have a backyard. just go to the least populated area i can find or what? haha

Seaspraystranger by the day
924 posts

Posted:
would it be possible for a mod to shift the myth talk to another thread?

Just a dancer in the dark

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
New thread made.

Look [Old link].

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Raoul_HagenbeekGOLD Member
Pyromancer extraordinair
88 posts

Posted:
Maybe the gods can only manifest through other beings, like in this case humans.

As soon as we start spinning they form a divine link with humankind to show others the power and beauty of spining, trying to win more souls so they can manifest more often?

What is life, without a little risk!

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
... so what was this thread about again?

Right, I'm going down the beach soon and I'm gunna practice there ^_^ There's this one spot with the town's name in big letters and giant concrete beach balls 3ft high. I'm gunna spin there.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Sounds like a good place to get a video. *nudgenudge*

wingednobodySILVER Member
stranger
4 posts

Posted:
JayKitty I am new on HOP and a new w/ fire too but live in central jersey I go to school at fairleigh dickinson. wondering where if might be good to spin.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Anywhere is a good place to spin without fire. Close quarters? Shorten the poi. It really lends itself to learning different styles.

Fire is more dicey and you might want to check with the school, or see if the school has a juggling club that would have ideas. It's what our locals had to do.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
I live in an apartment complex with plenty of land including tennis courts, playground, a pool, and a grilling area with a public charcoal grill (the open air, permanent park type).

Do any of you think that they would have a problem when I'm ready to start fire to do so in the grilling area or at one of those similar areas at a public park? I live in Delaware so I could probably find an open field with no crops or livestock, but I'm not one to trespass or create an issue for anyone.

Just curious what you guys might think! *new to forums and has posted in the introduction section BTW*

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
I know that here (Grahamstown, South Africa) I just spin in the street outside my house.

Or in the botanical garden. But that might be because no one really minds it. Living in a student part of town means you can get away with quite a bit at times.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
EoN, you could handle this two ways really.

Both ways involve being fully safe, having the safety and the appropriate extinguishing equipment and someone you have practiced emergency stuff with.

Then light up in the grill area.

If you are stopped simply explain that you did so in an area that you know controlled fire is generally allowed in and assumed it would be ok since you took all appropriate safety measures.
Kinda ask forgiveness instead of permission.

OR

You can go to your appt manager, explain and get permission.

The worst they will do either way is tell you to knock it off.

Good luck!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
i used that trick a few times. I put on a fire eating show in a pub one time and then did some bigger fire props out in the street in a small city. A cop pulled along side me and yelled at me for a bit, I showed him my handy dandy binder full of saftey stuff and saftey gear and told him i didin't know I wasn't allowed. He told me to cut it out.

If you ask permission and then you still do it, they know you know and then they get you in trouble. It's kinda sneaky but it works... most of the time.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
I was once stopped from spinning (socks) in a shopping centre. I did not ask permission, but a guard came and asked what I was doing. After I assured him that I was not busking (I was waiting for my lift to arrive), he went away happy.

Later another guard came by and told me that I had to stop. I did point out that another guard had said that I could, but he muttered something about it being private propety and that I was being a nuisance or something.

So I stopped. Still annoyingly closed minded, if a reasonable point of view.

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
I've been stopped in malls and such too. One made the argument I was going to hit someone in the empty corner i was was. I got stopped on the boardwalk too. lol, the cop said their police chief was drinking in the bar next door and if he saw me they might possibly get in trouble with their drunk boss. They didn't tell me to stop, just go someplace else. Funny cops.

Jeff CBRONZE Member
Total nerd.
22 posts

Posted:
In new jersey, it's illegal to have fires on the beach without a permit. Im assuming this would extend to fire spinning.

To get a permit, u call up city hall and request a permit for that day, and you place a deposit (for in case you mess up the beach) and theyll give u a permit. If the beach is all clean after youre done, you can get ur deposit back.

Hope that helps

Convert to polar!

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
Jeff, it definitly depends on the beach. I know the tourist-y beaches like sea side and point pleasant are definite no fire places, lol, I've tried. I've heard of a few beaches that allow bonfires and such at certain times. If you're doing a beach fire party this summer, let me know, I'd love to hang out with some other Jersey spinners.

Page: