eatsumskittlesstranger
6 posts

Posted:
So i was at a party last night poi dancing as i usually do, and this morning i was talking with one of my friends and he said that when i spin i have a very smooth classic style that all of my moves just flow into each other and i am always moving and dancing with the music. I have seen other people that do a lot of wraps and technical polished style.

This post is just to see what other styles of poi other spinners have come up with.

DyamiTKGOLD Member
beginner forever
159 posts

Posted:
a guy told me the other day that Bruce Lee once said, the perfect style is no style...

bentforkxGOLD Member
Should I be spinning around my poi, or should my poi be spinning around me???
42 posts

Posted:
Then I have perfect style!!!!
no skills yet,
but perfect style!!!!

Spinning makes the world go round

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
That refers to fighting style and he was talking about being able to flow fluidly within what you're doing and not be trapped by the predictibility and limitations of your fighting style. Essentially, you have to adapt.

hug

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Which still works nicely for poi. wink

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

YorkshireSILVER Member
33 posts

Posted:
Depends on the music, type of poi I'll be using, and what I'm trippin on! LOL!!! Or I really should say, whether or not I'm on something!

eatsumskittlesstranger
6 posts

Posted:
for sure when i am on "things" people tell me that i look blind the way i look around while i am spinning

VikingBRONZE Member
stranger
6 posts

Posted:
Unlike most spinners I know my style is very no-nonsense and controlled. Most spinners I know do a lot of changing planes and going from one move to another very quickly (and not always smoothly, I must say). I'm usually repeating a series of moves, and then gently going on to the next one, without much jumping and dancing about, though I spin quite fast, which makes it look (or at least, friends say so) as if I'm trapped inside circles of fire/light/socks.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
Choking Style....

although sometimes it turns into a bit of stumbling style

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
Not talking about poi here but, still, this aint a poi bit of forum.

I think style is one of those words like theme. If you have "a" style that's a bit of a trap. Only one style, only one theme? That's a bit lame. Imagine David Bowie had only one style, or Miles Davis, or Stanly Kubrick, or Orson Wells. What a waste of talent that would be. I'll admit that my examples here are Genii, and probably not aplicable to most poi spinners, however, if in searching for improvement, we rule these out, we will only ever be dealing with mediocrity.

Style is an advanced concept. If we talk in terms of style we have to ask what the attempt vs achievement ratio was. Were we trying to achieve a pathetic/ bathetic response with the audience? As in this video?

Or were we just trying to demonstrate our skills in the best possible way? If it be the latter, then style is probably an innapropriate word to use.

I don't want to post a video to illustrate the second point, as it would probably offend. I could have used other videos to illustrate the former however I thought it pertinent to stick with something I know.

Never lie down with someone who has more problems than you.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I think you left style and went into expression...

also wtf?

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: mcpI think you left style and went into expression...

also wtf?
Might have confused style with expression, dunno, but scince I got back into theatre, I've had a few ideas that have informed my spinning, wish I could elaborate more, but I'm off to the EJC, see ya inna week.

Never lie down with someone who has more problems than you.

burning_ninjanewbie
39 posts

Posted:
my style would be a combination of dance based martial arts, it's usually very smooth and depending on the music exceedingly quick. It revolves entirely around spherical motion and changes planes constantly, you'll never really see me do a linear technique in a fire pit, although I do them in my combative training but I try to keep the dance and the combative styles sepperate, they're not perfected yet but as much as I hate to admit it my poi style is more graceful and accurate than my staff style which is shocking for a guy thats spends four hours a day on staff.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion